Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

Weather Thread

We had tropical depression-speed winds last night as the temperature plummeted 30 degrees  Were in the mid-50's after lunch yesterday, in the mid-20s this morning.  Lost power most of the night.  Family slept in the living room by the fireplace ...

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

We had tropical depression-speed winds last night as the temperature plummeted 30 degrees  Were in the mid-50's after lunch yesterday, in the mid-20s this morning.  Lost power most of the night.  Family slept in the living room by the fireplace ...

Cozy! Is your power back? 

10 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

Cozy! Is your power back? 

For us, yes.  But this morning I heard there were still something like 30,000 people without, just for our service provider.

You mean soft, tropical breezes???

Wreckhouse wind warning in effect for:

• Channel-Port aux Basques and vicinity

Strong southeasterly winds gusting up to 170 km/h will persist today. Winds will ease this evening as they shift to southwesterlies.

Drivers may lose control of their vehicles; tall vehicles are at high risk of being overturned. Damage to buildings, such as to roof shingles and windows, may occur.

Wreckhouse wind warnings are issued when there is a significant risk of damaging winds.

(The winds here are supposed to be a bit less.)

Family slept in the living room by the fireplace ...

I bet the kids loved it, or at least not-so-Lil'-anymore-Duq, the Scout. How are mom and dad moving around this morning after living room camping?

We're getting some snow this morning, although it's NOT AS MUCH AS PROMISED! And, I don't have any kale. 😕

1 minute ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Wreckhouse wind warnings

TIL (Today I Learned) the weather service has some pretty interesting names for stuff.

4 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I bet the kids loved it, or at least not-so-Lil'-anymore-Duq, the Scout. How are mom and dad moving around this morning after living room camping?

We're getting some snow this morning, although it's NOT AS MUCH AS PROMISED! And, I don't have any kale. 😕

Kale grows fine right through snow!

4 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

TIL (Today I Learned) the weather service has some pretty interesting names for stuff.

Wreckhouse is a place named by the railroad as trains tended to get derailed there. There was actually a watcher with a telegraph up there in the rail era. It's a long rising then falling pass (airfoil) situated dead on to the prevailing winds. 

Winds here only supposed to go to 100 klicks (65 mph).

15 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Kale grows fine right through snow!

Yeah, when you plant it before the snow starts!

13 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Wreckhouse is a place named by the railroad as trains tended to get derailed there. There was actually a watcher with a telegraph up there in the rail era. It's a long rising then falling pass (airfoil) situated dead on to the prevailing winds. 

Winds here only supposed to go to 100 klicks (65 mph).

See...interesting, like I said. I thought they just made it up. 😆

32 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

You mean soft, tropical breezes???

Wreckhouse wind warning in effect for:

• Channel-Port aux Basques and vicinity

Strong southeasterly winds gusting up to 170 km/h will persist today. Winds will ease this evening as they shift to southwesterlies.

Drivers may lose control of their vehicles; tall vehicles are at high risk of being overturned. Damage to buildings, such as to roof shingles and windows, may occur.

Wreckhouse wind warnings are issued when there is a significant risk of damaging winds.

(The winds here are supposed to be a bit less.)

We were gusting to about 100 km/h in your commie units last night ... 60 mph in God-fearing, free-market 'Mercun units ...

• Upvote (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

We were gusting to about 100 km/h in your commie units last night ... 60 mph in God-fearing, free-market 'Mercun units ...

I guess that's the storm we're catching. At least it's pretty fast moving and shouldn't drop significant snow. 5-10 cm forecast.

50 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

The missus is sick with a cold that has been going around the house for the last few weeks, so she's miserable, but for reasons unrelated to the weather.  She got the couch, so she was fine.  Only Duquette (fresh off of her first dance competition of the year) was on the floor.  But she was closest to the fire, so I think everyone was fine ...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Whoa Nelly!!! A 973mb low just to the north of many of you guys in FW!!! Batten down everything as that will produce some EXTREME winds. See Euro model...

JOZUF7BCSZDSVHK63OV3WT5AU4.PNG

Here we are having about our first spring day. Rain all night taking down a lot of snow. Sunny and nearly 40F leading to even the piled up snowbanks to melt a lot!

Reuters says there may be up to 100,000 people in FW/D without power thanks to that storm this morning. Is everyone down there ok?

Had a lot of trees down in the subdivision, but I’m not aware of any loss of power where I live.  I know my area has underground utilities, so that helps a lot in bad weather.  Only time we have been without power is when a transformer blows.

• Upvote (+1) 1