Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

Weather Thread

7 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

One inch of snow in Portland. The end times has arrived. (I forgot to buy Dr Pepper and pork rinds.)

FIFY

• Haha  (+1) 1

1 minute ago, frogtwang said:

(I forgot to buy Dr Pepper and pork rinds.)

2 minutes ago, frogtwang said:

FIFY

Here, it's more like IPA and Voo-Doo Donuts. lol

The first of three or four winter storms in a row will hit here this evening. 2-7" of snow (depending on elevation), then a deep freeze, then more snow Sunday night/Monday, followed by a week filled with more snow events. Portlanders remind me of Texans driving in an ice storm...hell bent for leather in an F150 with no weight on the rear axle. This should be fun! I've been to the store and I've got my hippy storm food. Now I can just sit at home and watch what happens. Let 'er rip! ❄️🌬️⛷️

18 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

The first of three or four winter storms in a row will hit here this evening. 2-7" of snow (depending on elevation), then a deep freeze, then more snow Sunday night/Monday, followed by a week filled with more snow events. Portlanders remind me of Texans driving in an ice storm...hell bent for leather in an F150 with no weight on the rear axle. This should be fun! I've been to the store and I've got my hippy storm food. Now I can just sit at home and watch what happens. Let 'er rip! ❄️🌬️⛷️

Heavy rain here right now and on through the night. Then turning cold as the back side of the low brings down polar air just like you. Can you say "ice"?

1 hour ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Heavy rain here right now and on through the night. Then turning cold as the back side of the low brings down polar air just like you. Can you say "ice"?

Two years ago, the forecasters said "1 inch of snow, max." We got 11" and then about 3/4" of ice on top of that. It was terrible. I hate ice. It's what FW usually gets and it just screws up everything and isn't even fun like snow. Good luck with yours.

There is no kale remaining in Portland. Repeat, no kale! Commence berserk mode.

• Haha  (+1) 2

I am hugely disappointed. It looks like a light dusting of powdered sugar on a spice cake outside my house, while other areas in Portland got as much as 5" of snow. And, the anticipated storms lining up for next week are fizzling, too. So much for #Snowmageddon2019. Harumph!

4 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Mein Gott!!! There's this bright yellow thing clearly set in a blue field out my window. What could these be???

Don't look directly at it. Put on your eclipse glasses from last year.

10 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

There is no kale remaining in Portland. Repeat, no kale! Commence berserk mode.

Maybe it will go away forever!

2 minutes ago, Zebra Frog said:

Maybe it will go away forever!

Kale is very Portland, Z. They put it in everything here, including smoothies and baked goods.

I have mentioned in the past that it gets cold in my house in winter.  It is 54 degrees in the living room at 6:00am this morning.  I don't care what the temperature is in Wisconsin today.  54 degrees is cold for a living room. 

18 minutes ago, AlohaFrog said:

I have mentioned in the past that it gets cold in my house in winter.  It is 54 degrees in the living room at 6:00am this morning.  I don't care what the temperature is in Wisconsin today.  54 degrees is cold for a living room. 

Wow! I agree, that's too cold for Paradise. My living room is about that cold when I get up in the morning lately. I only heat the room I'm currently in, so overnight the bedroom gets the space heater and the rest of the house cools off quite a bit. Do you have any heat source, @AlohaFrog?

P.S. We should ask @Feeling Froggy how cold his house is today. :D

Oh look, PD...The jet stream is pulling air from Northern Alaska and the Bering Sea right down to you!!! What a nice present.  https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/global-jetstream#2019/02/11/1200Z/jetstream/surface/level/overlay=jetstream/orthographic=-127.83,37.28,712

And Aloha can move the map (click and hold) and see how the same is happening for Hawaii!!!

Our weather is so wacked right now. It's either going to snow 8" or rain 3". It's all going to be determined by about 20 miles. The terrain here makes a meteorologist's job pretty difficult.

An article in Wired reiterating Newf's claim that the European weather models are better than the American ones ...

The Government's New Weather Model Faces a Storm of Protest

The existing NWS forecast model, called the Global Forecast System, or GFS, has long been considered second in accuracy to the European models. Now Kammerer and others say the new FV3 upgrade is worse than the forecast model put out by our neighbors to the north. “The running joke now among meteorologists is that [the FV3] is looking more like the Canadian model,” Kammerer says. For those not plugged into weather humor, apparently the Canadian model also predicts big snowstorms that ultimately vanish.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

An article in Wired reiterating Newf's claim that the European weather models are better than the American ones ...

The existing NWS forecast model, called the Global Forecast System, or GFS, has long been considered second in accuracy to the European models. Now Kammerer and others say the new FV3 upgrade is worse than the forecast model put out by our neighbors to the north. “The running joke now among meteorologists is that [the FV3] is looking more like the Canadian model,” Kammerer says. For those not plugged into weather humor, apparently the Canadian model also predicts big snowstorms that ultimately vanish.

"the Canadian model also predicts big snowstorms that ultimately vanish."

While I don't know all the humorous details (!!!), in one of my marine weather courses the teachers (graduate meteorologists who forecast for the oil rigs) said the Canadian model is tuned towards combining systems as that is a common event in Eastern Canada as systems come west to east across the continent while other systems come up the coast. These are very chaotic events but also very important to predict (e.g. Sandy on which the Cdn models did especially well). Small input errors change near hurricanes to mere fronts and vice versa.

Got down to 5F yesterday and still single digits F today. That's downright bitter cold for here...coldest temps in a decade or so. Still no significant snow though we almost always catch a series of nor'easters in Mar/Apr which depending on their tracks dump huge amounts of any or all of water, ice, snow, sleet, etc. (Oh the joys of life at the triple point of water.)

2 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

When everyone here was out fighting in the supermarkets for the last bit of kale as our "Snowmageddon" approached a couple of weeks ago (which ultimately fizzled to not a damn thing), the predominant model being pushed by the National Weather Service was their FV3 in the detailed forecast updates I was reading. They referenced the Canadian models a few times, too. I will know to look to the European models from now on for more accuracy. Not to totally dump on the meteorologists out here, because it is really hard to get everything to cooperate for snow, though. They were just really, really pumped about it happening.

14 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

When everyone here was out fighting in the supermarkets for the last bit of kale as our "Snowmageddon" approached a couple of weeks ago (which ultimately fizzled to not a damn thing), the predominant model being pushed by the National Weather Service was their FV3 in the detailed forecast updates I was reading. They referenced the Canadian models a few times, too. I will know to look to the European models from now on for more accuracy. Not to totally dump on the meteorologists out here, because it is really hard to get everything to cooperate for snow, though. They were just really, really pumped about it happening.

What I've read about FV3 says that while it may not be as good as the fully mature GFS, GFS cannot grow any more for some reason. FV3 is the base new model that can be upgraded much further apparently as it is further tuned and revised.

• Upvote (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

European weather models are way hotter...

Never mind, I'm off topic.

• Haha  (+1) 1