Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

Weather Thread

Yesterday afternoon it was 55° and sunny, and almost all of the snow and ice had melted off. Currently it is sitting at -6°, overcast with the potential for more snow on top of the 2-3" already on the ground.

I gave up living on the Texas coast for this? I think that I need to have my head checked...

• Haha  (+1) 1

You've had it bad this winter. We've barely had winter here this year. The bugs are going to be horrible this summer.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Thankfully, I don't expect the bugs to be bad here this summer. They don't really like flying about in a solid pine smoke haze.

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

You've had it bad this winter. We've barely had winter here this year. The bugs are going to be horrible this summer.

Same here. 

That said, we usually pick up at least one monster nor'easter tracking to the south of us in the next 6 or 7 weeks that dumps 4 or more feet in one fell swoop. So far they've all tracked to the north leading to mostly rain/ice pellets.

1 hour ago, Feeling Froggy said:

Thankfully, I don't expect the bugs to be bad here this summer. They don't really like flying about in a solid pine smoke haze.

I'd rather have the snow and frigid temps than wildfires, actually. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's not as bad out here in the West for all of us as it has been the past few years.

32 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Same here. 

That said, we usually pick up at least one monster nor'easter tracking to the south of us in the next 6 or 7 weeks that dumps 4 or more feet in one fell swoop. So far they've all tracked to the north leading to mostly rain/ice pellets.

I think it's only been briefly below freezing for maybe 4-5 days in December here. A client of mine living about a mile from me said she already saw mosquitoes in her yard last week.

Just now, PurpleDawg said:

I'd rather have the snow and frigid temps than wildfires, actually. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's not as bad out here in the West for all of us as it has been the past few years.

Twice when I visited it was clear during the summer. Every year that I have lived here (since 2011 or 2012), and about 6 other times visiting it has been like being inside of a fireplace.

I have grown to accept that it is miserable year round here, either due to cold, or insufferable heat (and I never have been bothered by South Texas heat, not even doing manual labor in 117+), or smoke. I would love to be wrong, but I always predict getting the brunt end of the smoke from forest fires annually.

oh noes! It's 32.8* in Portland and snowing. Everyone abandon your vehicles in the street and walk. DO.NOT.DRIVE. :rolleyes: #herewegoagain

• Haha  (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

68 got dang American degrees here 

Did you wear flip flops to work? I'm assuming you had to wear pants, damn The Man.

14 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Did you wear flip flops to work? I'm assuming you had to wear pants, damn The Man.

I am NOT wearing pants! I'm sick today and working at home. In shorts. 

23 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

Shorts?

Yeah right

3684373602_7c0428ed87.jpg

2 hours ago, Boston Frog said:

Oh, darn. You got the family crud?

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Oh, darn. You got the family crud?

No, it's some sort of infected salivary gland. Very strange. 

It's been 34 and raining here all day.  A completely miserable day to be driving around DFW visiting customers.

quote-you-ought-to-get-out-of-those-wet-

• Sad 1

75 here today. 70-mofoing-5. 35 tonight, though, and a bit of snow tomorrow. People were like sailors on shore leave today or prisoners on a Dukakis work furlough program. 

2 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

75 here today. 70-mofoing-5. 35 tonight, though, and a bit of snow tomorrow. People were like sailors on shore leave today or prisoners on a Dukakis work furlough program. 

Somebody let Willie out again?!!

2 minutes ago, Boston Frog said:

Please tell it to take the Mass Turnpike West a few thousand miles. It is currently 20 here. They are calling for -2 tonight.

1 minute ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Somebody let Willie out again?!!

He's still alive!

But this guy is the greatest work furlough recipient of all time:

ONKAKP6ZXJEQZO2V6DRHIM6UEA.jpg

5 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

Please tell it to take the Mass Turnpike West a few thousand miles. It is currently 20 here. They are calling for -2 tonight.

In afternoon traffic? It'll never get there. 

• Haha  (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Boston Frog said:

No, it's some sort of infected salivary gland. Very strange. 

Ewww. You're gross.

On 2/20/2018 at 6:08 PM, PurpleDawg said:

oh noes! It's 32.8* in Portland and snowing. Everyone abandon your vehicles in the street and walk. DO.NOT.DRIVE. :rolleyes: #herewegoagain

:D More snow coming tonight.

• Haha  (+1) 2

The Arctic is unbelievably warm at the moment. 45 to 60 degrees (F) above average. The North Pole, where the sun has been down for months and won't rise again till next month, has gone and will go above freezing at times this week. Something has broken the old wall of high pressure that used to isolate arctic air and keep it in place up there.

Some of the displaced arctic air is down by me for the next while, but not too bad...mid teens to hi 20s. Colder than average but only by a few degrees. And polar air is reasonably dry and won't cause too much snow. Flurries mainly.