Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

Weather Thread

On 12/15/2016 at 1:26 PM, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Do people run on bald tires there like Texans do?  My son could not believe the lack of tread he saw in Austin on cars. Given his now years of paramedic experience wiping people up off of highways and ditches, he gave his cousins stern lectures that they looked uncomprehendingly upon.

I had to order new tires for my car, so once Costco called and said they had em, I spent the next three days smoking the last 2mm of thread off. Took them off when you could barely feel a ridge at the "thread". 

There was no rain in the forecast, and I really don't like spending a ton of money on tires when I don't have to, so I won't get that opportunity very often. 

4 minutes ago, $mooth said:

I had to order new tires for my car, so once Costco called and said they had em, I spent the next three days smoking the last 2mm of thread off. Took them off when you could barely feel a ridge at the "thread". 

There was no rain in the forecast, and I really don't like spending a ton of money on tires when I don't have to, so I won't get that opportunity very often. 

Sounds like fun 

1 hour ago, $mooth said:

Racing slicks BAYBEEEE

If the Europeans are right--and they have bigger and better supported computers than the USA's weather services--prepare for some wild swings in the weather over the next week and a half. Like -20F/+30F swings around normals in parts of TX. Graphic plots anomalies, not raw temps. The Cdn models have freezing temps extending into Mexico. PD: Note some pretty cold predictions for Oregon--though mainly away from the ocean.

It's all long range stuff, but it does look like interesting times, maybe.

ecmwf_2016122900_t2m_anom_conus2-small.g

-16* in Sisters, OR, where my horse now lives with his family. And I thought it was cold here in Portland this morning at +15*. Toby's got a lovely heated barn and quilted blanket (coat) to keep him warm. His new mama loves him just as much as me.

I don't know how you function in that temperature.

On 12/30/2016 at 5:46 AM, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

If the Europeans are right--and they have bigger and better supported computers than the USA's weather services--prepare for some wild swings in the weather over the next week and a half. Like -20F/+30F swings around normals in parts of TX. Graphic plots anomalies, not raw temps. The Cdn models have freezing temps extending into Mexico. PD: Note some pretty cold predictions for Oregon--though mainly away from the ocean.

It's all long range stuff, but it does look like interesting times, maybe.

ecmwf_2016122900_t2m_anom_conus2-small.g

This is true... Going to be 28 tonight in H town... then back up to 83 next Friday. Lol.

We're also getting our third(!) snow/ice storm this weekend since the beginning of December. That's really unusual for the valley that Portland and Vancouver, WA, sit in. Mt. Hood, the volcano people ski on about 45 minutes away from Portland, has had its best snowfall in years. 

5 hours ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Half of my group at work is staying home today.

Of course, that's the half that works at world HQ in Memphis.  DFW is fine.  Chilly, but fine.

Weathermen suck.

No sooner did I post that when it started snowing.

Hard.

'Just flurries' they said.

So eventually we all left early, where the roads were decent, but the traffic was horrible.

Finally got home.....where there's no snow.

Weathermen suck.

They've just upgraded what started out as an winter weather advisory that became a winter weather watch to a winter weather warning now. Another SNOWPOCALYPSE! At least it's happening on a weekend this time.

Usual hysteria when snow is forecasted happening here.  The snow hasn't started yet and there is a scroll of all the activities that are canceled this weekend.  I worry more about the cold.  The high for Sunday is predicted to be 12 degrees with a low of 2 degrees.

Five inches of snow already at my house and it's falling at an inch per hour. Weather Service says it will continue all night. This seems a little over the top. Portland people will need tauntauns to commute to work tomorrow.