Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

Weather Thread

8 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Do people run on bald tires there like Texans do?  My son could not believe the lack of tread he saw in Austin on cars. Given his now years of paramedic experience wiping people up off of highways and ditches, he gave his cousins stern lectures that they looked uncomprehendingly upon.

People here are just stupid drivers about snow and ice, just like Texas. The ones who go to the mountain frequently to ski or whatever have good tires and traction devices for their vehicles and will use the chains or cables when told to. It's very infrequent that police issue a chain-up decree in the city, but they did this time. Also, studded tires are allowed to be used on all vehicles from November to April, but those are expensive and people don't see it as a necessity for the small amount of frozen precip we normally get. Further, people think four wheel drive equals "I can drive anywhere in any conditions". That's not the case when your tires are spinning on ice, of course.

What I love to see is the giant pick-ups and SUVs slip sliding and spinning out while the little Subies with AWD quietly and determinedly just keep right on going. However, my little Subie is staying put in her driveway until things improve. 

8 hours ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

I can remember more than once school being cancelled simply because of the the temps.

Of course, that was when the temps were -15F and worse....

2 hrs delays were uncommon but not unprecedented back in the day.  Usually it mean the school(s) wanted the buses out and testing the roads after the sun was up, as opposed to before.

We like to be able to see the busses when they end up in the ditches instead of them doing it in the dark.

Coming down the mountain today, we had temps from 27-66 degrees.  My husband cussed the wind a few times when we were on I-25.  Denver traffic amazes me. Temps are going to drop to minus 2 after we leave.

I am very sad about the sale of the house.  It is the only home we have had where we chose the lot, floor plan, builder, etc.  Many memories, both good and bad, will stay with us.  Mountain living is not for the impatient or those who are having problems with  the altitude...my husband!.

I wanted to be out here for the summers.  Never got hubby to stay beyond three weeks.  Dealing with vacation renters became tiring.  At least I won't be returning each year to broken chairs, missing items and the kitchen being rearranged. I will miss it though. 

The new stadium at CSU is going to dominate the campus.  Ft. Collins just keeps growing in every direction. 

18 minutes ago, richmondfrog said:

Coming down the mountain today, we had temps from 27-66 degrees.  My husband cussed the wind a few times when we were on I-25.  Denver traffic amazes me. Temps are going to drop to minus 2 after we leave.

I am very sad about the sale of the house.  It is the only home we have had where we chose the lot, floor plan, builder, etc.  Many memories, both good and bad, will stay with us.  Mountain living is not for the impatient or those who are having problems with  the altitude...my husband!.

I wanted to be out here for the summers.  Never got hubby to stay beyond three weeks.  Dealing with vacation renters became tiring.  At least I won't be returning each year to broken chairs, missing items and the kitchen being rearranged. I will miss it though. 

The new stadium at CSU is going to dominate the campus.  Ft. Collins just keeps growing in every direction. 

We are expecting winds up to about 70mph tonight. Probably won't be out walking around!

11 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

We are expecting winds up to about 70mph tonight. Probably won't be out walking around!

Wind warning extended and speeds increased. 100kph=62mph. 130kph=80mph. 140kph=87mph.

"Wind warning in effect for:

St. John's and vicinity

Strong winds that may cause damage are expected or occurring. Strong southwesterly to northwesterly winds gusting up to 80 km/h inland and 140 km/h along parts of the coast can be expected today. These strong wind will persist tonight with gusts reaching 100 km/h inland and 130 km/h along parts of the coast." 

40sF air over the ocean is interacting with -30sF air over Labrador. Lot of energy in a temp difference that big in not too large a region.Lo is expected to get down to 961mbars!

Looks pretty on nullschool  https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-37.19,45.32,512/loc=-50.795,48.364

14 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Seems you have crazy winds pretty often. How does your home fare in them? You don't have many trees around you, but what about utilities? Do electricity lines go down often?

There are trees but the root systems are generally FAR more developed on the prevailing upwind side. Years ago we got a storm from the prevailing downwind sector which knocked over a lot of trees.

The nice thing about having crazy winds pretty often is that things break much more piecemeal rather than all at once after a rare big blow. Some power outages, but the system is engineered for big blows. 

Currently sitting in a heat wave at -5 with around 20mph winds. The local radio said lows of -17 are to be expected with 35mph gusts through the night.

December is usually warmer than this year has been. The second half of January through the first half of February is when we typically see the sustained -20s to -40s type weather.

33 minutes ago, gofrogs152 said:

Had ice here overnight.  55 car pileup on I-95 in Baltimore.  This video is unbelievable.

http://www.wbaltv.com/article/video-shows-fiery-tanker-crash-on-i-95/8510507

Oh, my. What happened to the driver of the rig? Incredible that somebody caught that on video.

On December 16, 2016 at 8:59 PM, Feeling Froggy said:

Currently sitting in a heat wave at -5 with around 20mph winds. The local radio said lows of -17 are to be expected with 35mph gusts through the night.

December is usually warmer than this year has been. The second half of January through the first half of February is when we typically see the sustained -20s to -40s type weather.

Where are you?