Radio Shack Killa

God save us....

1 hour ago, Army Frog Fan said:

Sorry to interrupt your liberal pity party, as the country is opening up, but I figured I'd remind you that one of the Presidential candidates said this in 2019:

"“We have this notion that somehow if you’re poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

OK, you may proceed.

Nice deflection attempt.

I think the plain reading of her statement is pretty. Meat plant workers just aren't  "regular folks". 

The other comment doesn't take away "regular people-ness" however. And it was not in the event of deciding a case that would affect them legally.

But if it makes you feel better, go with it. As we've seen before, if you make enough side assumptions, one can even try to make drinking bleach "sensible". Even when it's really not.

What I simply didn't know before, but which she apparently believes, and you now have confirmed, is that it is a "liberal pity" statement to think that a judge dividing the citizens of a state into "regular folks" and "not regular folks" while making a decision which affects them legally is not in the wrong. The law applies differently, apparently, depending whether you are regular or not. I'll have to remember to take some Metamucil!

Judge: Mr. Flynn, how do you plead?

Flynn: Guilty, Your Honor.

Judge: Are you sure, Mr. Flynn. You wish to plead guilty to the charges against you?

Flynn: Yes, Your Honor. I'm guilty of these charges.

Trump Justice Department:

2013-05-20-emily_litella.jpg

Who controls the past controls the future. 

Who controls the present controls the past. 

8 hours ago, frogtwang said:

Who controls the past controls the future. 

Who controls the present controls the past. 

Even 6 months ago I'd have assumed you were joking or at least quoting a bit out of context. Sadly, today I am not. But I'll still ask...is that tweet true and in context?

That said, here's a famous quote (that I just made up): "Those who lie about history are doomed to repeat their mistakes...and their lies." (This is pretty clearly on display these days.)

Or alternatively: "It's really hard to learn from mistakes that are lied about or covered up."

Based on the actions of our current Texas governor, as well as a certain Senator from Texas, doing what they did for a salon-owning publicity whore, IF I owned a business I would immediately ignore all regulations in place and open.  If it was a restaurant, instead of 25% capacity, it would be at 100% capacity.  If a bar, I would have opened last night.  A tattoo parlor has done just that and opened yesterday.  
I would not fear being shutdown, as a precedent has been set.  The governor was asked yesterday what he would do if businesses did that.  Just like the governor did in “The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas” when asked about closing it or not, our governor did a little side-step and didn’t answer.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I have read that the salon owner was a stooge for QAnon, although probably she didn't realize what she was getting into when they recruited her off social media due to her original posts about reopening her place early. She did, however, get $500K GoFundMe money for somebody. Not sure how much of that she'll ever see or if it's worth the jail time she served.

Weelllll!!!...Turns out that the White House really DOES think that mask wearing, aggressive testing, contact tracing, and quarantining are the most important available methodologies! Who knew??!!

It's just not important for the little people. It's not like we matter or anything.

Supreme Court hearing arguments today on whether or not third parties should have to comply with subpoenas for documents dealing with Trump's pre-presidency finances.

I never knew subpoenas were an optional thing, but the Mountain Dew conservatives really want them to be when it involves their favorite failed meat salesman.

50 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

I never knew subpoenas were an optional thing, but the Mountain Dew conservatives really want them to be when it involves their favorite failed meat salesman.

But not when they involve Bill Clinton and Paula Jones.

• Upvote (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

Supreme Court hearing arguments today on whether or not third parties should have to comply with subpoenas for documents dealing with Trump's pre-presidency finances.

Subpoena's are court ordered commands. How can a legislative branch have subpoena power? Does the executive branch have subpoena power as well?

21 minutes ago, Rothbardian said:

How can a legislative branch have subpoena power? 

Good question - I'm certainly no legal scholar, but a quick Google search suggests that McGrain vs. Daugherty and Sinclair vs. United States are among the decisions that set the precedent for Congressional subpoena power. 

21 minutes ago, Rothbardian said:

Does the executive branch have subpoena power as well?

Again, I'm no lawyer - but I'm pretty sure the DOJ and several of its component law enforcement agencies do have subpoena power, yes.

29 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

Good question - I'm certainly no legal scholar, but a quick Google search suggests that McGrain vs. Daugherty and Sinclair vs. United States are among the decisions that set the precedent for Congressional subpoena power. 

Again, I'm no lawyer - but I'm pretty sure the DOJ and several of its component law enforcement agencies do have subpoena power, yes.

So you would agree that there is some question over the legitimacy of the legislature's power of subpoena?

See The Congressional Subpeona: Power, Limitations and Witness Protection, BYU Jrnl Public Law, 1992, Vol 6, Issue 1.

https://digitalcommons.law.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1095&context=jpl

There is no question the power is legitimate. That it may not be legitimately invoked is always appealable to the courts. Just like one issued by the local city court can be appealed.

• Upvote (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Rothbardian said:

So you would agree that there is some question over the legitimacy of the legislature's power of subpoena?

It does seem as though they have subpoena power.  

But again, I'm no expert.  If you don't think they ought to have subpoena power, well, you're certainly welcome to that opinion.  And really, I don't care enough to argue about it.  I'm just some guy in the next cubicle who thinks whatever applies to me should also apply to anyone else.  

On 4/14/2020 at 9:54 AM, Newbomb Turk said:

Oh dear Lord... I agree with Liz Cheney...

159D96D16D964E8D89A5.gif

How about going for two, @Newbomb Turk?

"Oh dear Lord... I agree with Liz Cheney..."

On the subject of Fauci: In your opinion, did Rand Paul appear to be more like a petulant 12 year old yesterday addressing Dr. F? Or more like a petulant 14 year old?

I'm surprised he didn't just spit out: "Yer not the boss of me!"

When I first saw this, I thought it was a parody account.

11 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

How about going for two, @Newbomb Turk?

You know, I can totally get along with William F. Buckley Republicans.  I LOVE discussing policy with those guys.  

The problem is that there aren’t that many of them left.  They’ve decided that there’s more electoral opportunity in being Jerry Falwell Jr. / Rush Limbaugh Republicans.

• Upvote (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

You know, I can totally get along with William F. Buckley Republicans.  I LOVE discussing policy with those guys.  

The problem is that there aren’t that many of them left.  They’ve decided that there’s more electoral opportunity in being Jerry Falwell Jr. / Rush Limbaugh Republicans.

Main Street republicans are right there in the next diorama down from the velociraptor one, the mastadon one, hominid one, and the Cro-Magnon one. Heck...I was one most of the time then as the loonies were in control of the dems too much of the time. And I watched Firing Line religiously. Can't say I EVER saw WFB tell a stupid, obvious lie and/or stupid, ignorant nontruth about science or any other reality-based phenomenon. Or even a subtle one.

COVID appears to be moving out of coastal urban counties a bit now...

Hot spots: Counties with the highest number of cases per resident

COUNTY  CASES  PER 100,000 PEOPLE
SLOWER
FASTER

CASE GROWTH RATE
Trousdale, Tenn. 1,364 14,248

Dakota, Neb. 1,453 7,152

Lincoln, Ark. 942 6,878

Nobles, Minn. 1,291 5,911

Bledsoe, Tenn. 604 4,136

Cass, Ind. 1,544 4,054

Colfax, Neb. 431 4,006

Rockland, N.Y. 12,504 3,863

Marion, Ohio 2,412 3,691

Pickaway, Ohio 1,955 3,405

You know...if Biden had any real wicked sense of humor, he would do well to get Obama as his pick for VP!

Or maybe Michelle?

Imagine the apoplexy 😄