Radio Shack Killa

God save us....

3 hours ago, Rothbardian said:

Read the whole thread

Interesting.

Who knew that WWIII was really about the Warren-Sanders non-handshake???

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Rothbardian said:

Who knew that WWIII was really about the Warren-Sanders non-handshake???

You're a liar! 😤

Lev Parnas looks as phony as a $3 bill, but that he just threw Rick Perry under the bus makes me happier than almost anything else he's said so far.

OMGee! KEN STARR on the defense team for the Dipshit-in-Chief! Good lord. This has turned into a circus.

Surprised #MidnightMitchMcConnell didn't suggest holding the trial at Mar-a-Lago along with the rest of his unfair trial rules.

Anyone interested in talking about the impeachment? Seems on-topic for this thread.

Republican Senators don't have the guts to vote against Trump.  Wast of time and money.  

Back when I lived in Louisiana, Edwin Edwards was elected for Governor many times, even though everybody knew he was a crook and a scoundrel.  People loved him and voted for him knowing this.  Trump is no different. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Zebra Frog said:

Republican Senators don't have the guts to vote against Trump.

This is very sad and troubling. Many of those senators in that room couldn't say enough bad things about him back before the election when he was running, especially that weasel Lindsey Graham. However, I disagree that this is a waste of time (or money). The people in our country absolutely must know the extent of the corruption that's been occuring in the WH during this admnistration. And, the politicians who condone that corruption must be exposed.

From Twitter: "Did I just hear the President say we must protect Thomas Edison? From what, grave robbers?!"

Seriously, what was that all about? Protect the inventor of the light bulb and the wheel? Is he suffering from a medical condition?

12 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

This is very sad and troubling. Many of those senators in that room couldn't say enough bad things about him back before the election when he was running, especially that weasel Lindsey Graham. However, I disagree that this is a waste of time (or money). The people in our country absolutely must know the extent of the corruption that's been occuring in the WH during this admnistration. And, the politicians who condone that corruption must be exposed.

Problem is, it has been exposed, in more ways than anyone can count and on a nearly continuous basis.  And half the country, and the members of our representative government with that half as their constituency, doesnt give a shit.

I'm listening to The History of Rome podcast right now.  Comparing America to Rome is fraught with all kinds of peril and is something people like to do almost as frequently as comparing people they disagree with to Nazis.  But one of the things that has struck me is how enduring the empire was with such a large number of truly awful men at the helm. 

I dont know if that is encouraging or discouraging WRT our current predicament in America.  Because while the Roman Empire endured, it wasn't good for the people of Rome when those madmen/ charlatans/ sadists/ dullards were in charge.  But they lived in (one of the) the richest amd most privileged places in the world for the better part of a millennium.  

This country is in a real bad way right now.  I hope it turns around soon, but it might not.  Democratic institutions dont necessarily put good people/leaders in power (obviously), but at least they give the people some power to get rid of the bastard in some other way than civil war, which was how Rome had to deal with them.  And they at least provide a slightly more meritocratic means to power than the generic crapshoot of primogeniture.

So at least weve got that going for us. Of course Rome had those institutions for a while too ...

2 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Problem is, it has been exposed, in more ways than anyone can count and on a nearly continuous basis.  And half the country, and the members of our representative government with that half as their constituency, doesnt give a shit.

I don't think it's true that half the country doesn't care what's happening. Polling reflects that. I think that we've been talked down to and treated like ignorant children who need to have decisions made for us so much by our leaders that some of us have forgotten how to make vital decisions independently. 

If the senators in that chamber were to be allowed to vote anonymously, there'd be plenty enough of the Republicans to vote for removal from office. But, they're too scared for their jobs, and love their jobs more than their country, to vote their conscience.

We can't afford to be complacent anymore and expect to change our circumstances.

"love their jobs more than their country,"

That should be a sign to any voter to vote for someone else.

But as I used to mention back in the WMD days when many dems wimped out (though most definitely not every single one in Congress as we are seeing now). Under the US system, once office is lost it is almost impossible to regain.  Pols are more aware of this than most.  While all systems have weaknesses this structural flaw is not present to anywhere near the same degree in the parliamentary system. There individual pols may win and lose office many times over a number of election cycles..

41 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I don't think it's true that half the country doesn't care what's happening. Polling reflects that.

Ok, not half.  But a consistent 40%. And as I've said before, that 40%, while confounding, doesnt concern me nearly as much as the spinelessness of the people supposedly taking oaths to defend the country, not the absurd farce of a man who happens to head their party.

I think that we've been talked down to and treated like ignorant children who need to have decisions made for us so much by our leaders that some of us have forgotten how to make vital decisions independently. 

I dont think it is this.  I think the vast majority of people believe they are voting in a way that benefits their self interest.  But a lot of people are easily convinced that their self-interest is always supported by the partisan team they identify with.

If the senators in that chamber were to be allowed to vote anonymously, there'd be plenty enough of the Republicans to vote for removal from office. But, they're too scared for their jobs, and love their jobs more than their country, to vote their conscious.

Going back to my Rome analogy, this is nothing new.  Rome was littered with examples of people literally tearing the empire apart from within for their own interest in power and/or fear for their lives if that other bastard came to power.  And the transition of Rome from Republic to authoritarian empire was very much allowed by a legislative body that flaccidly ceded all power to a supreme executive.  Kinda hard not to see the parallels to modern America there.  We've been moving in that direction for much of the last century.

While I believe complacency plays a huge part in the mess we have now w.r.t. our politics and leadership, I believe even more strongly that cynicism erodes it even more egregiously.

57 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I believe even more strongly that cynicism erodes it even more egregiously.

In that cynicism implies a mistrust based on a perceived lack of sincerity or integrity of those in the political realm, I can't imagine not being cynical.  

4 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

In that cynicism implies a mistrust based on a perceived lack of sincerity or integrity of those in the political realm, I can't imagine not being cynical.  

It's also hard not to be pessimistic.

15 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

It's also hard not to be pessimistic.

Absolutely agree.  Our country is run by two private fundraising organizations, both made up almost entirely of narcissistic, borderline sociopathic assholes.  Both of them employ a sales technique that relies on pounting out the hypocrisy of the other and peddling fear in order to corral loyalty from the feeble-minded.

• Upvote (+1) 1