Radio Shack Killa

God save us....

I'm glad that the Democrats have moved to the we must impeach Trump because we are not sure the election will take care of him phase.

Good political theater...

You think Pelosi is worried about having enough votes?  Otherwise, why haven't they voted yet.  Perhaps there is fighting over which Reps they let vote the other way, once they secure enough votes.

28 minutes ago, Army Frog Fan said:

You think Pelosi is worried about having enough votes?  Otherwise, why haven't they voted yet.  Perhaps there is fighting over which Reps they let vote the other way, once they secure enough votes.

I'm sure some of it is having a vote on record by Ds in R leaning congressional districts for something that won't remove Trump from office.

If nothing else, people watching the Rules Committee hearing are getting a great constitutional history lesson from Rep. Jamie Raskin. He's en fuego! 🔥

After reading that letter, I will not be surprised if I wake up tomorrow and find out he's nuked London. #deranged

The thing that I find truly chilling about this whole thing isn't Trump or the people who voted for and continue to support him ... that eventually the office would be held by a person like him was statistically inevitable and political tribalism is very basic and understandable.

What is chilling is the length to which the powerful people within his party who know better have cowed to Trump and have enabled him ... this has really exposed the weaknesses in our political system and has created a playbook for the next populist demagogue who will almost necessarily be more competent, savvy, and capable.  The abject cowardice of the Republican party to put our small-r republic over party ... it's going to be a long time before I can vote for a Republican for federal office again.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

it's going to be a long time before I can vote for a Republican for federal office again.

I like now being fiercely Independent, after spending years being reliably Republican, but I couldn't agree with this statement more.

13 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I like now being fiercely Independent, after spending years being reliably Republican, but I couldn't agree with this statement more.

I wish more people were independent until a viable third party emerges.  I am not a fan of Trump's demeanor or antics, but I would vote for a ham sandwich before some of the crazy far leftists in the Dem primary.

31 minutes ago, Army Frog Fan said:

I wish more people were independent until a viable third party emerges.  I am not a fan of Trump's demeanor or antics, but I would vote for a ham sandwich before some of the crazy far leftists in the Dem primary.

I would like to do away with the party system completely, but I know that won't ever happen. Everybody loves a label.

We thought Trump vs. Clinton was bad in 2016.

We anticipate Trump vs. (most likely a far-left candidate) in 2020 could be even worse.

Just get ready for 2024, though.  Trump Jr vs. AOC.  

9 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

it's going to be a long time before I can vote for a Republican for federal office again.

Well, you're halfway there...one more party to go...

• Upvote (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Rothbardian said:

Well, you're halfway there...one more party to go...

I'm stubbornly independent, but I do not see (a)moral equivalence between the mainstream of the two parties now.  While I agree that Democrat leaders have done numerous bad and immoral things while in power, and the Democrats have participated in the ever increasing unitary executive authority that has happened over the last century plus (FDR being perhaps the biggest culprit), I havent seen the Democrats go into full infallible monarch mode like the current Reps are. 

And to go all in on that concept for THIS guy, of all guys.  I honestly think that if the Democrats had nominated someone with similar disregard to constitutional notions of a citizen president and republican government, there would be far less blind loyalty to that president, if for no other reason that the Democratic base is far more diverse and fractious than the Republican base. Right now, I dont see anybody in the Rep party who gives a shit about what is best for the country over what is best for the party.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Furthermore, I dont see the Democrats promulgating such a complete false alternative reality/propaganda as the Republicand.

I don't really need to find moral equivalence between the parties in order to negate my support for both. 

Regardless of which is worse, neither is worthy of my vote.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

I don't really need to find moral equivalence between the parties in order to negate my support for both. 

Regardless of which is worse, neither is worthy of my vote.

So, if I may ask, do you only vote for candidates who identify as Independent or something other than R or D? And, what happens if someone comes along who is R or D whose views you really agree with? Do you not vote for that person based only on their party affiliation? What if the contest is only between candidates with an R or D by their name? Do you just not vote? I've found it really challenging to be an Independent thinker on some of these questions myself.

4 hours ago, Rothbardian said:

They should have gone for outpeachment instead...

Is that how it works?

Lots of uninformed people waking up this morning disappointed that impeachment doesn't mean the guy was thrown out of office last night.

18 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Lots of uninformed people waking up this morning disappointed that impeachment doesn't mean the guy was thrown out of office last night.

Yep.  Or that the whole thing will die in the senate.

36 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

So, if I may ask, do you only vote for candidates who identify as Independent or something other than R or D? And, what happens if someone comes along who is R or D whose views you really agree with? Do you not vote for that person based only on their party affiliation? What if the contest is only between candidates with an R or D by their name? Do you just not vote? I've found it really challenging to be an Independent thinker on some of these questions myself.

It's a case by case basis for me.  I won't disqualify a candidate based on party affiliation, but it's certainly not the reason I'd choose to vote for someone.

I've voted for Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians and Independents.  In some races, I don't vote if no one is worthy of a vote.  Some people may not like abstaining, but I think it's the best way to express my opposition to a system that's devolved into many races pitting bad choice vs. bad choice.

• Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

It's a case by case basis for me.  I won't disqualify a candidate based on party affiliation, but it's certainly not the reason I'd choose to vote for someone.

I've voted for Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians and Independents.  In some races, I don't vote if no one is worthy of a vote.  Some people may not like abstaining, but I think it's the best way to express my opposition to a system that's devolved into many races pitting bad choice vs. bad choice.

Y8Mp.gif

I've voted for Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians and Independents.  In some races, I don't vote if no one is worthy of a vote. 

Absolutely.  I think straight ticket voting is generally bad.  But I think the Republucan party, at least at the federal level, is so off the rails that the only way to get that particular party to come back to reality is to punish them at the polls.  Since holding power is the only thing any of them care about, deny them that power.  

I think Democrats still fear both their extremist and centrist wings.  Depending on their district, they feel like they can be ousted from either direction.  It's why Pelosi hemmed and hawed about impeachment until the Ukraine Whistleblower thing broke out.

I see very little evidence that anyone on the right fears being held accountable by the centrists in their party. They are only worried about the far right.  The only time any Republican expresses any centrist view is after the announce they aren't running for reelection.

Some people may not like abstaining, but I think it's the best way to express my opposition to a system that's devolved into many races pitting bad choice vs. bad choice.

I struggle with this.  I totally get what you are saying in principle, but I also think that apathy and cynicism is a part of what has given us this broken system.  Not the only reason, but one of a multitude of reasons.

22 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I struggle with this.  I totally get what you are saying in principle, but I also think that apathy and cynicism is a part of what has given us this broken system.  Not the only reason, but one of a multitude of reasons.

Agree totally. If reasonable people don't participate, then we get the fringe filling in and eventually taking over.

I'm not saying I don't participate.  And I'm 100% committed to voting in primaries.  But if those contests result in two terrible choices in any given race's general election, I'll leave my ballot blank rather than endorsing someone who I don't think is worthy of the role they're seeking.

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

I'm not saying I don't participate.  And I'm 100% committed to voting in primaries.  But if those contests result in two terrible choices in any given race's general election, I'll leave my ballot blank rather than endorsing someone who I don't think is worthy of the role they're seeking.

Didnt mean to imply that you didnt.  I was referring specifically to the "lesser of two evils" races.  We seem to get more of them every year.  Or at least our modern cynicism and/or unreasonable expectations of whoever is in the office makes it seem like we get those races all the time.  I'm just saying that I'm not sure not voting for one of them sends any real message to them or their parties to give us better candidates.  Nor does voting for them either, granted.  But I do think the extremists takeover of political parties has been greatly aided by people in the middle throwing up their hands and saying phuc it every election.  I'm not sure it isn't better to hold your nose and vote for the person who you think would be a little less awful than the other guy.  Because if you dont, then you run the risk of the really, really awful guy winning.  Trump, case in point.

FWIW, I dont think the problem is fixed until we make politicians less worried about their extreme fringes and more worried about the majority of their constituents.

• Upvote (+1) 1