Radio Shack Killa

God save us....

5 hours ago, frogtwang said:

Good riddance. To avoid embarrassment, he withdrew his name at the last minute before they could turn him down. While in office for only 6 months, his incompetence cost the taxpayers at least $450,000 in settlements and lawyers fees. WTG Gov. Abbott for putting him there in the first place.

Whitley oversaw the botched review that pulled the state into three federal lawsuits, prompted a congressional investigation over concerns of voting rights violations and frayed the relationship between the state’s election office and the local officials it depends on to run elections.

I can't decide if it is better or worse that politicos like McConnell now feel free to confess that they are hypocritical partisan hacks rather than hide that fact under the fear that enough of their constituency would actually give a shit enough to find that distasteful and/or harmful to the Republic.  I mean it is honest and transparent, after all ..

Politics is about the exercise of power. The Constitution provides a lot of checks and balances but not one here.

Expecting Turtle to "play fair" when he holds all the cards is probably silly.

Trump OTOH claiming constitutionally defined checks and balances don't apply to him is another thing entirely.

3 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Politics is about the exercise of power. The Constitution provides a lot of checks and balances but not one here.

Expecting Turtle to "play fair" when he holds all the cards is probably silly.

Trump OTOH claiming constitutionally defined checks and balances don't apply to him is another thing entirely.

My expectation isn't that he wouldn't exercise the power he has, it's that there used to be (I think) some fear of blowback in freely admitting one's cynicism in exercising that power.

11 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

My expectation isn't that he wouldn't exercise the power he has, it's that there used to be (I think) some fear of blowback in freely admitting one's cynicism in exercising that power.

Nothing personal, but I think holding that belief today is fairly silly as well. Maybe it wasn't silly once but I'm not really sure that's true.

29 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Nothing personal, but I think holding that belief today is fairly silly as well. Maybe it wasn't silly once but I'm not really sure that's true.

Perhaps I'm succumbing to Good Ol' Days Syndrome.  I just found his cynical frankness on SCOTUS nominations this week particularly galling ...

20 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Perhaps I'm succumbing to Good Ol' Days Syndrome.  I just found his cynical frankness on SCOTUS nominations this week particularly galling ...

Oh on that we agree!

Orwell must not get much rest in his grave these days...Good Lord!

"With the U.S. in another year of record-setting natural gas production, I am pleased that the Department of Energy is doing what it can to promote an efficient regulatory system that allows for molecules of U.S. freedom to be exported to the world,” said Assistant Secretary for Fossil Energy Steven Winberg, "

Of course he does work for Perry. So not the highest bar.

Should have held out for the queso. 

• Haha  (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, frogtwang said:

Should have held out for the queso. 

Would have been elevated to Emperor...

• Haha  (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

And in the race to who can make the most outlandish, unobtainable campaign promise, Joe Biden comes in hot with his promise to cure cancer.

• Haha  (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Army Frog Fan said:

And in the race to who can make the most outlandish, unobtainable campaign promise, Joe Biden comes in hot with his promise to cure cancer.

Too late I already figured it out...

On 6/11/2019 at 3:19 PM, Army Frog Fan said:

And in the race to who can make the most outlandish, unobtainable campaign promise, Kamala Harris comes in hot with her promise to prosecute Trump.

Watched Little Pink House tonight...did I mention government sux.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Rothbardian said:

...did I mention government sux.

But not any corporate grouping since they never cause any damage to the larger public by anything they ever do.

6 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

But not any corporate grouping since they never cause any damage to the larger public by anything they ever do.

I did'nt say that, but you seem to be defending government with whataboutism.

The Kelo case is that it was all started by a republican governor seeking reelection in a state dominated by democrats who sought out a corporate "partner" to give tax dollars in order to reinvest in the infrastructure of a city. The tragedy is that Pfizer came, didn't even build on Ms. Kelo's property, and left once the government handout ended. Ms. Kelo's house never should have been taken and was wrongfully decided by SCOTUS.

Majority Stevens, joined by Kennedy, Souter, Ginsburg, Breyer

Concurrence Kennedy

Dissent O'Connor, joined by Rehnquist, Scalia, Thomas

Dissent Thomas

9 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

... Canada has much tougher gun laws than most places in the US

Which is what makes such a thing happening even in a crowd of nearly 2 million people rather rare. But of course you knew that.

Should we stop cancer treatments since no treatment cures 100% of all cases or accept the fact that a 50% cure rate is worth doing?

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2018/11/09/666209430/deaths-from-gun-violence-how-the-u-s-compares-with-the-rest-of-the-world

Those are the findings of the latest version of an annual report on gun violence from the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, which tracks lives lost in every country, in every year, by every possible cause of death.

The report points out that when you consider countries with the top indicators of socioeconomic success — income per person and average education level, for instance — the United States is bested by just 18 nations, including Denmark, the Netherlands, Canada and Japan.

Those countries all also enjoy low rates of gun violence. But the U.S. has the 28th-highest rate in the world: 4.43 deaths due to gun violence per 100,000 people in 2017. That was nine times as high as the rate in Canada, which had 0.47 deaths per 100,000 people — and 29 times as high as in Denmark, which had 0.15 deaths per 100,000.

3 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Which is what makes such a thing happening even in a crowd of nearly 2 million people rather rare. But of course you knew that.

Should we stop cancer treatments since no treatment cures 100% of all cases or accept the fact that a 50% cure rate is worth doing?

Not my point. My point is that gun laws don’t change things one way or the other. 2017 Houston Astros World Series parade with 1mm people had zero gun incidents. And our laws are far less strict than Canada’s. 

Do you honestly think that the shootings would have doubled or tripled if Torontos gun laws were similar to Houston’s?