Radio Shack Killa

God save us....

7 hours ago, Army Frog Fan said:

Speaking of out-of-control spending, I have bitched about DoD doing this ever since I saw it first hand.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/mar/7/feds-splurge-on-lobster-pianos-golf-carts-in-race-/

Long ago now in the early 60's, but I still remember my first intro to serious DoD waste. When I was a kid at Lincoln AFB the govt spent tens of millions refurbishing Atlas missile rockets and silos around the base. Took a year or two. Only a few months after completion the Atlas program was shut down in favor of the Minuteman solid fuel rocket (which was and still is a better system for destroying the world admittedly) and everything was shut down and scrapped. The waste was a base joke for months afterwards.

I'm sure you have far worse stories, but this was just an intro!

32 minutes ago, Army Frog Fan said:

True story: my first September at Bragg, my 1SG grabbed me (#metoo) and said it is lobster day at the DFAC. We feasted on lobster tail and then headed back to the office to figure out what the company needed with the money we hadn't managed to spend.  What a joke.  Well, fast forward two years when I realized that we were always on the range (both aerial and ground) in September because heaven forbid the Army reallocate our training annual ammo budget to what we had used the previous 11 months.  And we were a Blackhawk battalion...with bullets...that costs dollars a piece.  Imagine what the Apache unit down the street was doing with their missiles and rockets.  Now multiply that by all of the military units and you get at what I have been venting about for years.

My son did some missile and recoilless training a while back. Said it was something like $5K a shot.

Since when did Jeremy Corbyn become the leader of the American Democratic party?

• Haha  (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rothbardian said:

Since when did Jeremy Corbyn become the leader of the American Democratic party?

Jeremy's got himself in a fine kettle of fish with half his party calling for his head. He hasn't done himself any favors at all at the crunch time for Brexit.

18 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Much of the reason for the revenue increases in 2018 was the raised tariffs. I suppose one could argue that tariffs are a good thing.

In any case, bothsidesism is a hard argument in the 2016 to 2018 era but I guess you can if you want.

The tariffs contributed less than 1% of the revenue gained last year. So no, tariffs did not artificially inflate the record breaking gains. And lower taxes did not lead to lower revenue. 

I don’t see how bothsidesism is a hard arguement. The deficit grew under Obama. The deficit is growing under Trump. Republicans have not kept their promise about being fiscally responsible and it pisses me off. But Democrats are continuously proposing programs that will spiral the deficit even further and faster to the point where, if they were enacted, we would reach nearly $100 trillion in debt in just 10 years. So yes, I would argue bothsidesism is fair game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

On 3/7/2019 at 9:54 AM, PurpleDawg said:

Since she was elected by her peers, maybe that's what they wanted?

Well then that’s disturbing if Minnesota Dems are okay with blatant antisemitism.

Not even her own party will hold her accountable for her statements. The attempt by her peers in congress and the media to disguise it as just “anti-Israel” is disgusting.

57 minutes ago, SuperToad said:

Well then that’s disturbing if Minnesota Dems are okay with blatant antisemitism.

Not even her own party will hold her accountable for her statements. The attempt by her peers in congress and the media to disguise it as just “anti-Israel” is disgusting.

I agree with you.

I don’t want to hear another word out of Democrats in regards to their faux outrage about supposed “voter fraud”. HR1 made it easier to commit voter fraud, and it allows illegal immigrants to vote. 

On 3/9/2019 at 11:31 AM, SuperToad said:

I don’t want to hear another word out of Democrats in regards to their faux outrage about supposed “voter fraud”. HR1 made it easier to commit voter fraud, and it allows illegal immigrants to vote. 

Since citizenship is already the law, it's not necessary.

Nor do we need an "amendment" to any legislation to "reaffirm" that murder is illegal either. It too is already against the law.

On 3/8/2019 at 12:47 PM, SuperToad said:

Gal Gadot accused the Israeli govt of institutional and political racism in Haaretz yesterday. She and Haaretz are obviously "antisemitic" as well. Truly disgusting.  https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-wonder-woman-vs-bibi-gal-gadot-makes-stand-in-row-over-jewish-arab-equality-1.7004555

In response to the wider kerfluffle of which this was a part, Netanyahu states: “Rotem dear, an important correction: Israel is not a state of all its citizens. According to the Nation-State Law that we [Note: "we" = Likud, not Israel here] passed, Israel is the nation-state of the Jewish people, and them alone.”

Of course offering any criticism of or disagreement with positions such as the above is "anti-semitic".

3 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Since citizenship is already the law, it's not necessary.

Nor do we need an "amendment" to any legislation to "reaffirm" that murder is illegal either. It too is already against the law.

So if it’s the law, then how are there 100,000 non-US citizens registered to vote in Texas? I thought that was illegal? If it’s happening in Texas of all places, it’s happening everywhere. And the house proposal is to make I easier for non-US citizens to vote.

Crenshaw proposed a simple addition of text to tighten that up, but it fell on willingful deaf ears. Again, the resolution makes it easier for election fraud to occur. 

To use your example, if there was a resolution proposed that made it easier to commit murder, I would have to think that would be a problem.

11 minutes ago, SuperToad said:

So if it’s the law, then how are there 100,000 non-US citizens registered to vote in Texas? I thought that was illegal? ...

If there are, why not charge them under the present laws?

3 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Gal Gadot accused the Israeli govt of institutional and political racism in Haaretz yesterday. She and Haaretz are obviously "antisemitic" as well. Truly disgusting.  https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-wonder-woman-vs-bibi-gal-gadot-makes-stand-in-row-over-jewish-arab-equality-1.7004555

In response to the wider kerfluffle of which this was a part, Netanyahu states: “Rotem dear, an important correction: Israel is not a state of all its citizens. According to the Nation-State Law that we [Note: "we" = Likud, not Israel here] passed, Israel is the nation-state of the Jewish people, and them alone.”

Of course offering any criticism of or disagreement with positions such as the above is "anti-semitic".

Being critical of the Israeli govt is not antisemetic. Accusing the Jews of using their Jew money to run the world/politics is. The latter is what Omar has suggested, and has received nothing more than a wag of the finger. Then her party and the media try to defend her and cover up those statements as just “anti-Israel”. Yeah, I would have to say that’s disgusting. 

If Trump we’re running around spouting out negative stereotypes about Muslims, people would be rightfully up in arms.

4 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

If there are, why not charge them under the present laws?

I agree. But why not attempt to stop that from happening in the first place? Why pass a resolution that would make it harder to charge them or detect them?

37 minutes ago, SuperToad said:

...Accusing the Jews of using their Jew money to run the world/politics is. The latter is what Omar has suggested, ...

Making her comments fit into your suggested meaning involves at least a little stretching in my opinion.

That said, if she does actually state what you said, she will not last very long in Minnie which has a very large Jewish population. About a third of my hs was Jewish for example--including a now well known (inside the profession) History prof who pointed out to me many years ago how the right wing takeover of Israeli politics is not "semitic" but rather, well, political.

38 minutes ago, SuperToad said:

... Why pass a resolution that would make it harder to charge them or detect them?

I fail to follow how this is a possible consequence.

1 hour ago, SuperToad said:

Being critical of the Israeli govt is not antisemetic. Accusing the Jews of using their Jew money to run the world/politics is. The latter is what Omar has suggested, and has received nothing more than a wag of the finger. Then her party and the media try to defend her and cover up those statements as just “anti-Israel”. Yeah, I would have to say that’s disgusting. 

Agree.  Omar screwed up the opportunity to make this about Israel and their policies by using dog-whistle language to talk about it.  I also don't buy the whole "she didn't know any better" argument.

That said, there is a political correctness surrounding all talk about Israel where offering any sympathy toward Palestinians and against how the Israeli government treats them often gets labeled as anti-Semitic (and another example of how our race labels are completely inadequate as the Palestinians are Semitic too).  Let's not pretend that doesn't happen.

And also that said, I'd argue the racism directed toward Omar has been at least as extreme (I'd argue far more so) than her inappropriate use of language directed toward Jews and Israel.  Not that it excuses her rhetoric, but the outrage-o-meter regarding those two realities is a bit out-of-whack.  So it would be nice if the national political conversation could keep that in perspective.  And while I'm hoping for that, I need to check eBay to see if my bid on the rainbow unicorn that poops gold doubloons has won ...

If Trump we’re running around spouting out negative stereotypes about Muslims, people would be rightfully up in arms.

If?  Really?

9 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Agree.  Omar screwed up the opportunity to make this about Israel and their policies by using dog-whistle language to talk about it.  I also don't buy the whole "she didn't know any better" argument.

If?  Really?

1. Definitely screwed up an opportunity. As for the "know better" side, I think I'd wait a bit longer than weeks into the term to decide if someone is an anti-semite.

2. There is that.

21 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

1. Definitely screwed up an opportunity. As for the "know better" side, I think I'd wait a bit longer than weeks into the term to decide if someone is an anti-semite.

I say "knows better" insofar that she's not a kid and has been in the political realm long enough to know that the Jews=moneymongering stereotype is long-standing and pernicious.  And as someone who is routinely questioned about her loyalties, she should certainly know better than to throw that one on another group.  Does that mean she's anti-Semitic?  Maybe not.  But it doesn't look good.

8 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I say "knows better" insofar that she's not a kid and has been in the political realm long enough to know that the Jews=moneymongering stereotype is long-standing and pernicious.  And as someone who is routinely questioned about her loyalties, she should certainly know better than to throw that one on another group.  Does that mean she's anti-Semitic?  Maybe not.  But it doesn't look good.

The point I was trying to make is that if she really comes off as a true anti-Semite, she is dead in Minnie DFL-based politics and the local party/voters will take care of the problem soon enough. Would would that be true of, say, certain white supremicists in certain other congressional districts not far away.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, frogtwang said:

This is a very good article about the whole debacle. The Secretary of State's office totally blew it and the Attorney General and Governor piled on with their tweets (not to mention the man who sits in the Oval Office).

On 3/11/2019 at 10:25 AM, Duquesne Frog said:

That said, there is a political correctness surrounding all talk about Israel where offering any sympathy toward Palestinians and against how the Israeli government treats them often gets labeled as anti-Semitic (and another example of how our race labels are completely inadequate as the Palestinians are Semitic too).  Let's not pretend that doesn't happen.

And also that said, I'd argue the racism directed toward Omar has been at least as extreme (I'd argue far more so) than her inappropriate use of language directed toward Jews and Israel.  Not that it excuses her rhetoric, but the outrage-o-meter regarding those two realities is a bit out-of-whack.  So it would be nice if the national political conversation could keep that in perspective.  And while I'm hoping for that, I need to check eBay to see if my bid on the rainbow unicorn that poops gold doubloons has won ...

Thats because none of her statements were about the Israeli government. Again, to conflate her remarks as actually being just about anti-Israel is disingenuous and a lie. She knows full well what she said, and has only quasi-apologized before saying something like that again.

Were talking about an open anti-Semite saying anti-Semitic things, and you try steer the conversation as being about anti-Israel? Just ridiculous. If she wants to state why she disagrees with Israeli policy, she can do that. But saying things like Jewish money is behind America’s support for Israel is not doing that.

The racism towards Omar has been small (a poster?), but widely denounced by republicans. And that’s the difference. Only one house democrat so far has stood up to Omar’s rhetoric. Let’s not pretend the far left portion of democrat party isn’t growing warm and fuzzy to anti-Semitism. The inability to denounce anti-Semitic stereotypes and statements, and unwillingness to separate themselves from the likes of Louis Faracon and Linda Sarsour speaks to that notion. Hell, even David Duke praised Omar. And don’t tell me he’s somehow not relevant 2 years later after he showed interest in Trump.

On 3/11/2019 at 10:40 AM, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

As for the "know better" side, I think I'd wait a bit longer than weeks into the term to decide if someone is an anti-semite.

Why? She’s said 3 anti-Semitic things in the last 6 weeks.

Her first anti-Semitic suggestion was that “Jews had hypnotized the world with their ‘Jew powers’”. The second being that “‘Jew money’ was the only reason that Israel had support from America”. The third suggested that “Jewish Americans had dual loyalty to Israel”.  All three are anti-Semitic. All three have nothing to do with Israeli policy. Again, this isn’t hard to piece together.

At the very least, she needs to be stripped of her Foreign Affairs Committee position.

7 minutes ago, SuperToad said:

Were talking about an open anti-Semite saying anti-Semitic things, ...

Yet you don't seem to have equivalent feelings for open anti-Muslims saying anti-Muslim things. Why is this?