Radio Shack Killa

God save us....

Virginia is a prime example of why I hate politics a lot of the time.  The last few days we have basically seen this from the Dems in that state:

- Photo of Governer with blackface emerges.  Everyone (including AG) expresses outrage and calls for resignation.

- Next in line is Lt Gov. (also a Dem), who gets accused of sexual assault. Many Dems call for resignation, because at least the next in line is still a Dem.

- Next in line is the AG (also a Dem), who called for Gov to resign, also admits to using blackface. Now I am seeing commentary on the left that we need to pump the breaks on all these resignations because the next in line is a republican and that there is concern their party won’t take control of the state.

Either these people are shitty and should resign, or they shouldn’t.  However one falls on that issue is up to them, but it bugs me that what some view as a resignable offense morphs over a few days because it may strengthen the opposing party.

52 minutes ago, Army Frog Fan said:

Virginia is a prime example of why I hate politics a lot of the time.  The last few days we have basically seen this from the Dems in that state:

- Photo of Governer with blackface emerges.  Everyone (including AG) expresses outrage and calls for resignation.

- Next in line is Lt Gov. (also a Dem), who gets accused of sexual assault. Many Dems call for resignation, because at least the next in line is still a Dem.

- Next in line is the AG (also a Dem), who called for Gov to resign, also admits to using blackface. Now I am seeing commentary on the left that we need to pump the breaks on all these resignations because the next in line is a republican and that there is concern their party won’t take control of the state.

Either these people are shitty and should resign, or they shouldn’t.  However one falls on that issue is up to them, but it bugs me that what some view as a resignable offense morphs over a few days because it may strengthen the opposing party.

Yeah. I hear ya'. (Dana Milbank wrote along much the same lines in his column today though his perspective is different from yours of course.)

That said, the one thing that bothers me about the "whataboutism" and "both sides" stuff here is the dems apologizing ALL must face voters quite soon. If someone wants to vote for a convicted mass murderer that is their constitutional right. Voters are free to weigh their thoughts, feelings, and judgments any way they want. "Due process" simply doesn't enter in to voter decisions in any way and these guys will likely suffer because of the fact due process does not apply. The accusation is enough.

Even if Lt. Gov. (and/or Gov/AG) don't resign, the likelihood of them getting re-elected, or even re-certified as the party candidate without some serious, unlikely-to-be-successful fence mending, is tiny.

The Kavanagh case is a 180o different issue in that the voters never had and now never will have for likely the best part of half a century such a chance. And it was not a criminal matter but rather a job promotion to a lifetime tenured position.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Today's news cycle:

1. Ocascio-Cortez rolls out the Green New Deal with much fanfare from the left, and all of the major Dem presidential candidates publicly back her plan.

2. People actually read her plan and realize if calls for elimination of farting cows and economic stability for those unwilling to work.

3. Ocascio-Cortez pulls her plan from her website.

Not the best day for ol' AOC, I'd say.

Image result for office chili gif

14 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I didn't read it. How did it go over with the cows?

https://apps.npr.org/documents/document.html?id=5729035-Green-New-Deal-FAQ

This is what she removed from her website. And I quote: “We set a goal to get to net-zero, rather than zero emissions, in 10 years because we aren’t sure that we’ll be able to fully get rid of farting cows and airplanes that fast, ... .”

I am not sure where Brawndo fits in, but it’s gotta be somewhere.  It’s got electrolytes.

• Haha  (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Army Frog Fan said:

I am not sure where Brawndo fits in, but it’s gotta be somewhere.  It’s got electrolytes.

You have expanded my knowledge base this evening, ArmyFrog. Had to look up Brawndo. Don't know if I should thank you or report you to the Founders. :lol:

• Haha  (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Army Frog Fan said:

Today's news cycle:

1. Ocascio-Cortez rolls out the Green New Deal with much fanfare from the left, and all of the major Dem presidential candidates publicly back her plan.

2. People actually read her plan and realize if calls for elimination of farting cows and economic stability for those unwilling to work.

3. Ocascio-Cortez pulls her plan from her website.

Not the best day for ol' AOC, I'd say.

As inartfully as she may or may not have rolled it out, at least she's throwing ideas out there which is more than can be said of anybody on the right (and, frankly, from the center-left as well), most of whom are still denying that climate change is a human-caused problem.

I suspect Ocasio-Cortez is smart enough to know that some of the GND is a politically impractical progressive pipe-dream.  It is (or at least should be) intended as a negotiating stake in the ground. 

Personally, I'm for throwing a shittonne of federal money at technology development ... clean energy, carbon capture/sequestration, energy infrastructure, etc.  I think tying this in with Medicare-for-All and increased labor collective bargaining is a fairly ridiculous bridge too far (and potentially counter-productive as the labor unions are going to be some of the most resistive to industry disruptive technology investment), but I think it is wise that the progressives are at least paying lip-service to the fact that all disruptive technologies result in economic losers whose plight shouldn't be ignored.

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I suspect Ocasio-Cortez is smart

Based on my observations of her, I would disagree

On 2/7/2019 at 9:29 AM, Army Frog Fan said:

I really wish there was a viable, moderate third party.

I definitely agree with this.  I'd love to see a viable moderate party  - along with ones that could represent liberal & conservative viewpoints without the theatrics and hypocrisy.

23 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

As inartfully as she may or may not have rolled it out, at least she's throwing ideas out there which is more than can be said of anybody on the right (and, frankly, from the center-left as well), most of whom are still denying that climate change is a human-caused problem.

I suspect Ocasio-Cortez is smart enough to know that some of the GND is a politically impractical progressive pipe-dream.  It is (or at least should be) intended as a negotiating stake in the ground. 

Personally, I'm for throwing a shittonne of federal money at technology development ... clean energy, carbon capture/sequestration, energy infrastructure, etc.  I think tying this in with Medicare-for-All and increased labor collective bargaining is a fairly ridiculous bridge too far (and potentially counter-productive as the labor unions are going to be some of the most resistive to industry disruptive technology investment), but I think it is wise that the progressives are at least paying lip-service to the fact that all disruptive technologies result in economic losers whose plight shouldn't be ignored.

I get your first point, but it is a non-serious proposal. It's like if the architects of Obamacare promised to cure death in 10 years.

By presenting an unserious plan for a serious problem, AOC may well have made it less likely we enact measures that might actually do some good.

Paul Manafort’s day in court spells trouble for Trump

Manafort finds himself in a much worse position than he was as a cooperating witness trying to whittle down his potential sentence for eight felony convictions handed down last year in Virginia. “Manafort is either the most self-destructive, irrational liar in history, or he is still protecting a secret so dark that exposing it would kill his chance for a pardon,” former Justice Department spokesman Matt Miller tells me. “Now that he’s facing a jail sentence that could stretch for the rest of his life, we’ll find out if his risky gamble will pay off.”

This, in short, was collusion — Trump’s top campaign official giving material to a suspected agent of a hostile foreign government that the campaign had already been warned was attempting to interfere with our election. Whatever you call it — direct or indirect evidence — this now is one link proven in court between the campaign and the Russians. We know of others, of course, including the Trump Tower meeting in June 2016 designed to get dirt on Hillary Clinton, Trump’s public call for Russia to go after Clinton’s emails, and more than 100 contacts between Russian figures and members of the Trump circle.

9 minutes ago, Rothbardian said:

Is the penalty for faking a hate crime worse than faking a non-hate crime?

What is this?

26 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

What is this?

I assume hes talking about Jussie Smollett.  Chicago police saying he did not fake it, but Page 6 (reputable? I've no idea) saying that the men in custody are Nigerian actors with connection to his show.  So if true, still potentially a hate crime, just sexuality-based and not race-based. 

But people are speculating this is a ruse to get the show not to write him out.

It is a weird story, tho ...

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I assume hes talking about Jussie Smollett.  Chicago police saying he did not fake it, but Page 6 (reputable? I've no idea) saying that the men in custody are Nigerian actors with connection to his show.  So if true, still potentially a hate crime, just sexuality-based and not race-based. 

But people are speculating this is a ruse to get the show not to write him out.

It is a weird story, tho ...

Very strange. Not sure if they are your stereotypical MAGA wearing gay-bashers...

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

Sounds like Bill Weld is indeed throwing his hat into the GOP primary ring.

He has a 0.00% chance of winning, but he's got my vote.

He is a LINO...

13 hours ago, Rothbardian said:

He is a LINO...

However you want to classify him, he's got far more integrity than the moron he'll be running against.

2 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

However you want to classify him, he's got far more integrity than the moron he'll be running against.

All politicians score high on the moron factor...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rothbardian said:

All politicians score high on the moron factor...

Maybe, but Trump takes it to the extreme.  Weld is far more intelligent than him.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

Maybe, but Trump takes it to the extreme.  Weld is far more intelligent than him.  

Weld is kinda dumb. He claimed to be a libertarian but didn't know about the non-aggression principle. He is one branch removed from the village idiot. Comparing anyone to Trump is a low bar.