Radio Shack Killa

God save us....

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:18 PM, Duquesne Frog said:

I think the old guard of the Democratic Party, much like the old guard of the Republican Party at the time of the Tea Party movement, is actually pretty resistant to much of the radical views coming from their respective movements.  They fear the movements, and do their best to placate them and concede a minimal amount to them. 

Case in point ...

Exasperated Democrats try to rein in Ocasio-Cortez

“She needs to decide: Does she want to be an effective legislator or just continue being a Twitter star?” said one House Democrat who’s in lockstep with Ocasio Cortez’s ideology. “There’s a difference between being an activist and a lawmaker in Congress.”

It’s an open question whether Ocasio-Cortez can be checked. She’s barely been in Congress a week and is better known than almost any other House member other than Nancy Pelosi and John Lewis. A media throng follows her every move, and she can command a national audience practically at will.

None of that came playing by the usual rules: Indeed, Ocasio-Cortez’s willingness to take on her party establishment with unconventional guerrilla tactics is what got her here. It’s earned her icon status on the progressive left, it’s where the 29-year-old freshman derives her power — and, by every indication, it’s how she thinks she can pull the Democratic Party in her direction.

The Freedom Caucus didn’t win many popularity contests in Congress the past four years, but it’s hard to dispute the hard-liners’ success dragging the GOP to the right.

Still, fellow Democrats are giving it their best, or planning to in the near future.

9 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

The free market will take care of any problems with food safety, so it cannot be a problem. No honest entrepreneur just trying to make one more dollar has ever killed a customer as we all know. 

Government regulation is just a useless appendage.

Obligatory 10th Amendment/State’s rights comment.

46 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Followed by the also obligatory commerce clause comment. :lol:

I am of the opinion that the Commerce clause has been too broadly construed.  I know we will likely agree to disagree.  In a similar fashion, I am of the opinion that the 1st Amendment has also been too broadly construed with respect to religion, so take my comments for whatever value you wish.

10 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

The free market will take care of any problems with food safety, so it cannot be a problem. No honest entrepreneur just trying to make one more dollar has ever killed a customer as we all know. 

Government regulation is just a useless appendage.

I know this is tongue in cheek, but I feel that way.

I don't "need" the FDA to "protect" me. 

Just my opinion though. 

31 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

I know this is tongue in cheek, but I feel that way.

I don't "need" the FDA to "protect" me. 

Just my opinion though. 

I think that is one of those things that is easy to say with the privilege of living in a country that has a regulatory structure in place to warn business, doctors, and the people at large of unsafe conditions with their food supply.  You may not have "needed" the FDA (and CDC) to caution your favorite restaurant not to put romaine lettuce in your salad over the last few months because much of the supply was tainted with E. coli, but you didn't really have to worry about the alternative because you live here.

57 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I think that is one of those things that is easy to say with the privilege of living in a country that has a regulatory structure in place to warn business, doctors, and the people at large of unsafe conditions with their food supply.  You may not have "needed" the FDA (and CDC) to caution your favorite restaurant not to put romaine lettuce in your salad over the last few months because much of the supply was tainted with E. coli, but you didn't really have to worry about the alternative because you live here.

Freedom aint pretty, and I'm fine with that.

52 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Yeah, I dunno - I'm a big proponent of efficiency in government and the elimination of bureaucratic waste...but I'm also the parent of a child with a potentially deadly dietary condition.  The existence of, and research conducted by organizations like the CDC and FDA have been pretty important to our family.

Congratulations to the Tarrant County Republicans for stepping up in a big way!

Texan Republicans vote to keep Muslim county party leader

Republicans in and around Forth Worth, Texas, rejected a controversial call to oust a vice chairman of the county party because he is a Muslim.

In a landslide vote of support Thursday night for its vice chair, Shahid Shafi, a practicing Muslim, the Tarrant County Republican Party’s executive committee voted 139 to 49 to keep him, party officials said.

O’Brien, a Tarrant County precinct chairwoman, has previously posted lengthy comments on social media complaining about Shafi because he is a Muslim, a religion she regards as dangerous, and possibly a stealth Democrat.

She says Islam is incompatible with the U.S. Constitution, while her critics note that the Constitution forbids religious discrimination.

“We don’t think he’s suitable as a practicing Muslim to be vice chair because he’d be the representative for ALL Republicans in Tarrant County, and not ALL Republicans in Tarrant County think Islam is safe or acceptable in the U.S.,” O’Brien wrote in a post in December.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-texas-republicans/texan-republicans-vote-to-keep-muslim-county-party-leader-idUSKCN1P42BW?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

Neither is bloody diarrhea, vomiting, severe dehydration, kidney failure, nosebleeds, anemia, seizures, mental changes...

And everyone knows that in a free market any single individual has just as much power to make an economic decision as does any single megacorporate "person". The playing field between every "belief in small government" individual and, oh, say, Monsanto or Cargill, is completely even.

2 hours ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

I guess I'm willing to sacrifice that much freedom for that end.  I'm not sure I recognize the positive value of the freedom to have less certainty that my food won't kill me or make me sick, but the fact that we can disagree on something like this is what makes democracy so messy.

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

In a landslide vote of support Thursday night for its vice chair, Shahid Shafi, a practicing Muslim, the Tarrant County Republican Party’s executive committee voted 139 to 49 to keep him, party officials said.

There should now be a vote on whether those 49 get to remain on the Tarrant County Republican Party’s executive committee ...

4 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

There should now be a vote on whether those 49 get to remain on the Tarrant County Republican Party’s executive committee ...

A short read through that woman's FB screed made me feel in need of a shower. It's so sad that people can hate an individual so violently who has shown no ill will toward them or anyone else for the sole fact of holding different religious beliefs. Actually, they don't even think Islam is a religion. They see it as a lifestyle. Well, I'd like to have the religious and lifestyle habits of those dissenters paraded out for everyone to vote on. Then it might be a somewhat fair fight.

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I guess I'm willing to sacrifice that much freedom for that end.  I'm not sure I recognize the positive value of the freedom to have less certainty that my food won't kill me or make me sick, but the fact that we can disagree on something like this is what makes democracy so messy.

Grow it yourself then?

Don't really see the issue here. 

The FDA thing is a perfect example of how the free market works.

Okay, so maybe a few people get hurt, get sick, or even (gasp) die.  From some bad lettuce, or bell peppers or chicken or whatever.

Guess what, the market will then respond accordingly and it will get fixed. This whole "if we just save 1 life" nonsense in order to give up individual liberties is what chaps my ass.

11 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

The FDA thing is a perfect example of how the free market works.

Okay, so maybe a few people get hurt, get sick, or even (gasp) die.  From some bad lettuce, or bell peppers or chicken or whatever.

Guess what, the market will then respond accordingly and it will get fixed. This whole "if we just save 1 life" nonsense in order to give up individual liberties is what chaps my ass.

When I argued against this above, Rothbard accused me of fighting strawmen ...

4 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

So we've all got to go back to subsistence farming to make sure we don't get sick from our food? 

I didn't say  you have to anything, but it would certainly be an option if you were afraid of scary things in your food because the FDA wasn't around.

Or you could pay someone you trust, etc. All sorts of options!

13 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

When I argued against this above, Rothbard accused me of fighting strawmen ...

When I went back and read your post, I kind of agree with @Rothbardian. Its the argument of "well all the other communist countries throughout history just didn't do it right".

Give me a break. 

Just now, DirtyThirdFrog said:

When I went back and read your post, I kind of agree with @Rothbardian. Its the argument of "well all the other communist countries throughout history just didn't do it right".

Give me a break. 

The point was that Libertarian/Anarchism and Communism are both academic ideals that have not, and I would argue, cannot, ever truly be implemented in any kind of practicable manner.  For either of those utopias to exist, they require behavior from human society that runs counter to all manner of historical precedence.

6 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

The point was that Libertarian/Anarchism and Communism are both academic ideals that have not, and I would argue, cannot, ever truly be implemented in any kind of practicable manner.  For either of those utopias to exist, they require behavior from human society that runs counter to all manner of historical precedence.

Like the need for a supreme leader?

15 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Sure! In a privatized form. 

Just don’t make me pay for it. Unless of course I want to utilize their services and see benefit. 

I argue that you do utilize their services and benefit, you just do not acknowledge it.

Let me ask this.  Say we privatize the function of the FDA.  What is the profit motivation for a private entity to do it?  If that motivation existed, wouldn't the private growers do it themselves?  What evidence do we have that they would?  If the planters of the romaine lettuce had the foresight to test for E. coli in their product before it went out the door, why didn't they?  Did they make a decision (perhaps implicit, perhaps explicit) that the cost of testing their product wasn't worth the potential hit to their market share if they let it out?  Do you, at this point, know which grower to avoid buying from and how to spot their product when you go to the store?

As far as I have read, we still don't know exactly whose lettuce had the E.coli on it.  Last I heard, no one as yet had been able to track it back to the grower.  Why didn't the grower fess up to letting their product get out?  Did they have a profit incentive not to?

And then there is the obvious point, going back to the flaws of free market capitalism - what if you don't have the means to hire your own private food tester?  Phuc you?