Sign in to follow this  
froginaustin

Conference affiliation linked to academic prestige

Not really news to those that pay attention to people like Boschini, Del Conte, and HCGP.

A college’s academic status may be determined as much by the teams it regularly meets on the football field as on the lectures and lessons taking place in its classrooms, according to a recently published study from researchers at Stanford University and University of Iowa.

“Our work shows that football is not an adjunct to the academic business of a university — it’s a part of that business,” said Mitchell Stevens, a study co-author who is associate professor of education at Stanford. “Football doesn’t corrode a school’s academic reputation. It enhances it. Contrary to what many academic professionals believe, academic and athletic reputations are not antagonistic. They’re complementary.” . . ..

https://ed.stanford.edu/news/ncaa-conference-affiliation-linked-academic-prestige-stanfordiowa-study

Been saying for years that the Pac12 and Big 10 treat academics differently than the other conferences.

OTOH - it's notable that the study was done by professors from those two conferences.

To quote our former company president, what does a farmboy from Iowa know about business in China...

To quote our former company president, what does a farmboy from Iowa know about business in China...

Is that why he's 'former'?

Was wondering why Harvard was ranked 1st, worldwide, over Oxford and Chambridge this past year.  

When Maryland made the decision to move to the Big 10, academics was a huge part of the decision.  Making the move in sports game them membership to the Research Consortium, which was a big deal.  My son was a student at Maryland at the time and there was lots of press about what access to the consortium would mean for the schools academics. 

I always get a chuckle when Baylor fans talk academic smack against TCU.

If they were as smart as they proclaim to be, they'd see that the academic rankings difference between BU and TCU is practically nil. BU is t71st, TCU is t76th...but there is a five-way tie for 71st. So there aren't any schools between us and them, therefore the points difference between the schools is really not worth bickering over.

If they were as smart as they proclaim to be, they'd see that the academic rankings difference between BU and TCU is practically nil. BU is t71st, TCU is t76th...but there is a five-way tie for 71st. So there aren't any schools between us and them, therefore the points difference between the schools is really not worth bickering over.

The cackeling on this forum when TCU passes Failor on the USN&WR ranking will be deafening. I'll probably join in.

The cackeling on this forum when TCU passes Failor on the USN&WR ranking will be deafening. I'll probably join in.

Those rankings are bogus (TCU and Baylor are way too low), but ... yeah.

The rankings are based on bogus criteria, but beyond that, nothing beyond the top 20 or so really matters. It's a little like CFB rankings. You can rank 25-120 if you really want to ...

Those rankings are bogus (TCU and Baylor are way too low), but ... yeah.

Definitely agree on the bogus part.  Don't know about TCU and Baylor being ranked too low, and not particularly worried about relative rankings because of the bogus part.

From what little I know about academe (mostly by acquaintance with high school counselors that try to help kids find college fits), I thought for decades that undergrad Baylor was a safety school for kids that wouldn't make it elsewhere.

Is there a completely different ranking for schools like Tech?

Top schools for people who couldn't get into one of their preferred schools.