Sign in to follow this  
Friskyfrog

Tex-Mex Restaurants

Life hasn't been the same since Salsa Fuego closed. Still don't know why to this day they closed, that was one of the best Tex-Mex places in Fort Worth. The California burrito topped with avocado , a runny egg, and their queso was probably one of the top 3 burritos I've ever had, if not the top.

On August 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM, researchfrog said:

Mariposas on Locke is really good, though more Central American than Mexican.

Seconded.  Love that place.

Mexican food is one of those things I never thought had to be expensive to be good and I thought the food at Joe T's wasn't worth the extra money, but then again I liked to eat at Pancho's and on special occasions Mexican Inn so my tastes might not be the best.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I used to love Pancho's! Is El Fenix still on Camp Bowie by the old Cox's department store? My all-time favorite Mexican food place in FW is the Pulido's off of Vickery by where King Charlie Hillard had his original showroom. I went to school with the Pulido kids who run the business now. 

6 minutes ago, RedHill said:

was wanting her to connect him with the president if Mexico.

I'm sure Mr. Pulido knew the President of Mexico, whoever he was at the time, too! He knew everybody. I went to school at Denver Ave. Elementary and J.P. Elder Middle on the Northside. Papa Pulido had one of his restaurants on Central Ave. over there, just down a few blocks from Main St. (It's actually some of his grandkids that I went to school with; whichever Pulido son ran that particular restaurant.) Anyway, Mr. Pulido was always giving stuff away to any community group that asked. Great, great man. I still sing the "Everybody loves Pulido's" jingle from the radio ads once in a while. Papa Pulido started it all with a good woman by his side.

On 10/14/2017 at 4:22 PM, crunch said:

Apology accepted.  

Cafe Rivera in White Settlement used to be the absolute best.  The TCU boys grandma ran the kitchen.  That was a long time ago.  Traditional Texas Valley fare.  

Places today are too bland or try to be too fancy.  

I do agree with that.

The original Ninfas (not owned by the Lorenzo family anymore) and El Tiempo (owned by Mama Ninfa's son) are by far and away my favorites, but by god they have gotten expensive. $40 for a pound of beef fajitas. Its easy $100 bill after a few margs and queso.

5 hours ago, RedHill said:

I've never had a bad meal there in 40+ years.  I rarely dine during peak times so I usually get decent service where ever I go.

I prefer traditional Mex at The Accpulco Grill, Marisco's or Dos Malinos in the Northside bario.  

I grew up on the northside. Went to Denver Ave Elementary School and J P Elder Middle School. When we went out for Mexican food, it was to Pulido's on Central Ave or El Rancho Grande. I went to school with the kids of both families of those restaurants. All good people, especially Mr. Pulido. He'd give you the shirt off his back. 

Anyway, ERG has great food. They are always packed, so they're doing something right. One bad experience shouldn't condemn a place. 

14 hours ago, crunch said:

None of this has anything to do with my post.  

That's why I didn't quote you. 

Going to one of those fancy smanhcy tex mex places tonight here in Houston, called Escalante's.

Meh.

Should be good company though. One of the dinner guest owns a tequila company, the other. Well, he owns the Rockets. #humblebrag

17 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Going to one of those fancy smanhcy tex mex places tonight here in Houston, called Escalante's.

Meh.

Should be good company though. One of the dinner guest owns a tequila company, the other. Well, he owns the Rockets. #humblebrag

What are you selling these days, DTF?

58 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

What are you selling these days, DTF?

Whatever you're buying... lol.

I've been working for the same Software company since July 2015... Mainly sell to Banks.

I'm down low looking for a new gig tho.

1 hour ago, crunch said:

Beckmann?  I used to work for Diageo, and visited Guadalajara at Beckmann Family invitation.  Probably the highest-end event I have ever gone to.  

I had my sportcoat stolen on that trip (not from the party, from hotel room) containing my passport.  Apparently a common thing.  

FYI - all tequila must come from agave grown in a specific region of Mexico.  And must have an Hecho in Mexico stamp.  Otherwise, it's tequila-flavored liquer.  

No way. Much smaller tequila brand...

Titanium. From their website- 100% tequilana blue weber agave grown in the highlands of Jaslisco, Mexico.

Uncle Tilman is just a tag along. Should be interesting.