Sign in to follow this  
Friskyfrog

Tex-Mex Restaurants

Nothing caps off a day of football like genuine Tex-Mex and a cold margarita.  

Joe T. Garcia's (commonly shortened by locals to "Joe T's") is the classic Ft. Worth favorite.  Be aware, though, that they have a very limited menu and only accept cash (there is an ATM on the premises, though). http://joets.com/

Another locally owned offering is La Familia on Foch Street on the West Side. http://www.lafamilia-fw.com/  They light the margaritas on fire!

There are lots of available options, both big chains and small hole-in-the-wall type places.  We encourage TFH readers to share their experiences and recommendations below!

My dad likes Enchiladas Ole on Sylvania. We've been and it is a good lunch place. Not a large place, so service is personable. 

http://www.enchiladasole.com/

If I have to eat at a chain, Abuelo's is my choice. 

Lupe's at Lincoln Square would be a good spot to eat and get parking before the LSU game, IMO. 

Avoid El Chico's at all costs. They used to be decent and now I've had better TV dinners than what I've eaten there. 

If you're a Fort Worth visitor, avoid chains and go local--

Joe T's if the weather is nice and you want some strong margaritas. Note: always wait in line for the patio--it's far more fun than inside. Protip: you can send someone to one of the patio bars to buy a pitcher of margaritas for your group and drink in line. Caution: that shit is no joke. This place is huge but it's a 15-20-minute drive from campus in the Stockyards.

La Familia is o short drive up University in West Seventh. Good food, goo atmosphere, pitiful service and worse parking.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I haven't been there in years, but Uncle Julio's on Camp Bowie was always my favorite when I lived in FW.

Uncle Julio's has the best beef fajitas in town.

Blue Mesa on University used to offer free quesadillas during Happy Hour. They may still do that. Haven't been in awhile.

Esperanza's on 8th offers Joe Ts food, plus more, without having to drive to the North Side or fight the Joe Ts crowd.

Yucantan Taco Stand on Magnolia offers a higher end option of Fuzzys.

I think Blue Mesa is supposed to have a fantastic Sunday brunch, if I remember correctly from what Old Scribe has said.

IMO, Blue Mesa's food is awful, and it's a chain. Uncle Julio's has great food, but it's also a chain. And Esparanza's does have Joe T's food, but Joe T's is more about the experience (outside, etc) than the food. I always like to send visitors to local joints---not chains.

Heads up: JOE T's IS CASH ONLY. And the margaritas aren't cheap (but worth every penny)!

Mariposas on Locke is really good, though more Central American than Mexican.

Rio Mambo on Bryant Irvin for the queso appetizer and the desserts.

Cancuns on Hwy 80 for good, cheap food and great horchata.

Second the motion on Enchilada Ole. Been a few times and it is really good (menu is pretty much limited to enchiladas, though).

And a couple of places nobody ever seems to mention: Tres Jose's on White Settlement and La Rueda on Oakland.

Pulido's Mexican Restaurant at 2900 Pulido Street, close to campus, is one of my favorites. I went to elementary school with the kids who are now running the company.

http://www.pulidosrestaurant.com/

Who remembers this song in their ads: "Papa Pulido started it all with a good woman by his side."

La Familia is o short drive up University in West Seventh. Good food, goo atmosphere, pitiful service and worse parking.

This is by far my favorite place to eat in Fort Worth. When I was at TCU and before that area went all hipster, I ate there quite a bit. The daughter used to actually know my name. It still makes me sad that she went to SMU.

I suspect that for any popular restaurant that could be listed here, there is someone who thinks it sucks and others who think it is great.

Uncle Julios is just a Papacitos knock-off. I prefer it over the original, but that's just me.

You have that backwards. Uncle Julios is older....at least in dfw. Uncle julios opened in 1986. The Pappas empire didnt expand outside Houston until 1989.

I really enjoy Uncle Julio's flautas and pork tamales. I like watching the tortilla maker, too.

You have that backwards. Uncle Julios is older....at least in dfw. Uncle julios opened in 1986. The Pappas empire didnt expand outside Houston until 1989.

Uncle Julios was started by Pappas guys who knocked off the decor and menu. Like Railhead did with Angelos, just in different markets. 

I have rationalized that since the only two times I ever went to Joe T's, I didn't have a margarita, then this must be why I don't get it.  I also only went to Uncle Julio's a few times. 

I want to suggest Enchildadas Ole again. They have a really good sauce and some interesting enchiladas and great prices. 

Los Vaqueros, anyone? I used to enjoy it for inexpensive, basic Tex-Mex. But that was 20 something years ago.

I went to Esperanza's on 8th a few times recently. I enjoyed the food, but there is no atmosphere. The location near Joe T's has my favorite Mexican breakfast. 

I was sorry that Caro's closed down. Ironically, I never went there until around 2010, even though I spent 400 or more nights at the Oui lounge while at TCU. I really liked Caro's.

I never hear anybody mention Mercado Juarez. I used to think their pork fajitas were the greatest. Haven't been there in years, though.

I would say the general state of Tex-Mex is pretty poor compared to the 80's and 90's. Most of it is worse. There used to be a lot of places to get a solid Tex_Mex plate and that number has dwindled. I think the cost of the ingredients has forced restaurants to cheapen what they offer, but it could also be a labor issue. The quality and the dependability of getting the same plate every time is just not there. Maybe the competition is making things worse rather than better.

Mercado Juarez is not too good, IMO. They used to be a lot better. 

I noticed that a place called La Fonda in Artesia, NM  is putting out what I considered a standard enchilada plate from my youth. It seems to be the same every time we pass through. Prices are great. Sopapillas were outstanding and only 25 cents a piece. 

I'm not so sure DFW doesn't deserve a low grade for restaurant environment. 

Can we tag individual posts or just threads?

'Cause that last post should have a "good old days syndrome" tag.

Can we tag individual posts or just threads?

'Cause that last post should have a "good old days syndrome" tag.

After nearly a half century of eating Tex-Mex, I have historical perspective on DFW Mexican food. Chains and food costs have put a hurt on mom and pop Tex-Mex. We have a lot of mom and pop Mexican restaurants, but Tex-Mex is feeling the squeeze.

This is by far my favorite place to eat in Fort Worth. When I was at TCU and before that area went all hipster, I ate there quite a bit. The daughter used to actually know my name. It still makes me sad that she went to SMU.

Way better than Joe T's. Didn't find out about it until my senior year. Wish I found it sooner.