Sign in to follow this  
Friskyfrog

BBQ Restaurants

21 minutes ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

There's a store at the Arlington Highlands called Rally House chock full of TCU paraphernalia.  I think they have other locations as well

Oh, yeah! Rally House is a great place. It's right down the street from Cousin's BBQ and Hulen Mall, too.

http://www.rallyhouse.com/rally-house-fort-worth

Very disappointed we have a TCU site talking about barbecue and no one mentions former Frog Herb Taylor's restaurant.  I think his food ranks very well in a city that has multiple places that turn out very good barbecue.

http://texasbbqposse.com/2014/07/from-nfl-to-rays-bbq-shack-in-houston.html

Did eat at Pecan Lodge recently and while it was good the brisket did not measure up to what I can get in Houston or have had in Central Texas.  

When I was in school we found Jimmy's Rib-ateria over on Missouri and Tucker by downtown Ft Worth.  We always called in our orders in advance.  We'd leave our valuables at home and took enough cash to pay for our food and an extra $2 tip for Alma (she got the orders out).  This was the best BBQ I have ever had.   Nothing has ever come close.  Jimmy used a lot of garlic in his sauce which made it very unique.  He passed away in the 80's and the place closed down.  I remember reading a story in Bud Kennedy's column about 10 years ago about Jimmys grandson having a BBQ restaurant.  The grandson was moving his BBQ place from 7th and University to Mansfield.  Wish I could remember the name of it?

On 10/28/2016 at 11:11 AM, PurpleDawg said:

I'm not wekl, but I absolutely LOVE Cousin's BBQ in southwest FW on Bryant Irvin near the I-20 intersection. AND, it's near Hulen Mall, where you will be sure to find all the TCU stuff you need (well, the TCU Bookstore will have more, but you can visit there tomorrow on your way to the game). Here's the info for Cousin's:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cousin's+Bar-B-Q/@32.6755453,-97.4170359,20z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x2fc0f00718843f22!8m2!3d32.675519!4d-97.41697?hl=en-US

Way past the expiration date for apologies or excuses, but I FINALLY found my way back here to provide some feedback that others may find useful. 

1) Letterman's BBQ on FB Gamedays: No brainer aka absolute must-do unless you are tailgating with others. The weather back for the Tech game in late Oct was perfect, but during the Sept heat I can see this being a big plus and the BBQ was tasty (Beef Chuck, but done really well) and lots of it.

2) Cousins BBQ and Other Food: I know you like this place Purp, but I was a little disappointed overall. We got there between Lunch and Dinner (which may have contributed to the result) and the place was pretty empty. The sides were ok, but my main focus was the brisket. It was ok but more akin to braised/stewed meat than smoked aka the flavor wasn't there. Super moist and tender though. The standard for Texas BBQ Brisket that I judge others against is the brisket I had three times at Terry Black's in Austin. I'm guessing Austin is blasphemy on a TCU site, but thems the truth IMO. Heim is a definite next time as are some BBQ places West of TCU. Melt has some great ice cream, but like everything different, its spendy.

3) For Anyone Visiting TCU: Stay within 15 min drive of the University. That drive to and from the DFW area was a pig depending on time of day and took away from the experience. Maybe Airbnb next time, but those big games drive the prices up and availability down. Plan ahead.

Thank you to everyone on this board. You have a great community here and indicative of my experiences with people in Texas overall. I Shall Return.....

No worries, FutureFrog. BBQ is an individual thing. The original Cousins' may be more to your liking. It' a little farther from the campus over on McCart. I usually find the best BBQ is going to be from the seedy hole-in-the-wall places that have been around for a hundred years and that's true wherever you go in Texas. Glad you had a good experience while you were visiting. When do you enroll again?

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

No worries, FutureFrog. BBQ is an individual thing. The original Cousins' may be more to your liking. It' a little farther from the campus over on McCart. I usually find the best BBQ is going to be from the seedy hole-in-the-wall places that have been around for a hundred years and that's true wherever you go in Texas. Glad you had a good experience while you were visiting. When do you enroll again?

Like I said, it might have been a tweener and maybe try again on another visit.

She enrolls in 2018, so one more year.....

Was on FW over the weekend and wanted to try Heims but it was closed on the day we went. Ended up trying the original Riscky's and was very impressed.

Current order for me is

Riscky's > Angelos >  Railhead > Coopers

Just now, Radio Shack Killa said:

The original one.  Any other locations wouldnt be original.

Just asking. Don't know many people who'd go all the way over to Azle Ave. on the deep Northside to eat at the old one.

24 minutes ago, TCaliU said:

Yup the old market on Azle, definitely wouldn't have stopped there if it wasn't for Google Maps.

Well done! That's the part of FW I grew up in. Not as rough then as now. I used to get the fried bologna sandwich at Risky's once in a while (when I wasn't eating a chopped BBQ sandwich). Dang, I need some of that good food right now! Alas, there's none of it to be had here. 

Had lunch here today and was blown away, brisket was extremely tender with a good smoke ring, also the best ribs I have ever had. Was talking to the waiter about Mixon's actual involvement in the restaurant, he only owns 2 restaurants in the US. Here and and Chicago area. Not a big restaurateur, more into the competitive BBQ scene and teaching.

https://www.myronmixonspitmasterbbq.com/