Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The Music Thread

Recommended Posts

On 4/10/2020 at 4:57 PM, PurpleDawg said:

Jesus Christ Superstar is the Broadway show that's streaming for free this weekend (of course!) on YouTube thanks to Andrew Lloyd Webber. It's a great show live, but I also love the funky 70's movie. Try one or both!

WOWZA! This was an awesome production! The guy portraying Judas was lights out, Jesus definitely had some pipes on him, and the very modern staging was terrific. The entire thing was well worth the watch. I hope some of you can catch it before it ends tomorrow. Keep in mind that a large portion of it is not suitable for young children.

Edited to add...Plus, doddery old Lord Andrew himself comes out for a curtain call and thanks everyone, including his ex-wife, at the end. Brilliant!

 

Filmed as an arena rock opera, the performance features a star-studded line-up which includes award-winning musical comedian, Tim Minchin, as the role of Judas Iscariot; pop icon and former Spice Girl Melanie C as Mary Magdalene; radio DJ Chris Moyles in his stage debut as King Herod; and Ben Forster, to take on the title role of Jesus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cliburn Foundation reaching out while we're all stuck with "Cliburn at Home"...

 

The Cliburn announces three new online initiatives to bring its worldwide community together virtually, in a safe and joyful space for us all, no matter age, culture, or physical location. Weekly schedules will be announced each Sunday.

 

Music can offer us all so much during this quarantine. With these new programs, you can reconnect with great Cliburn Competition performances, learn a few things with your children by listening to Cliburn Kids, and get inspired by the passion of our Cliburn Amateur pianists. Over the years, the Cliburn had broadcast and webcast many hundreds of hours of music. We are happy to connect with you and offer you these great moments of community. —Jacques Marquis, Cliburn president and CEO

 

https://www.cliburn.org/cliburn-at-home/?fbclid=IwAR2REDZWAVlcPGiSFDNMlsxYfBBiSCgci_q89S7jIsSiM6Jx7jtDEWPEGDY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose this needs a NSFW warning. Or maybe for humanity. As if it wasn't obvious from the get go, but it only gets worse from there... And yet I can't stop laughing and tapping my foot every time I play it... (And I think it is better than "Elvis is Everywhere" or "Don Henley Must Die", even if it didn't achieve as much notoriety.)

 

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This weekend's show is The Phantom of the Opera.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh HELL YEAH on the Mojo Nixon!

 


 

Best line of the Dead Milkmen discography was in “Punk Rock Girl”:

 

We went to a shopping mall

and laughed at all the shoppers

and security guards trailed us

to a record shop.

We asked for Mojo Nixon.

They said, “He don’t work here.”

We said, “If you don’t got Mojo Nixon

then you store could use some fixin’.”

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

Oh HELL YEAH on the Mojo Nixon!

And he was even better when he was with Jello Biafra! -

 

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

This weekend's show is The Phantom of the Opera.

 

 

I saw a production at Dallas Summer Musicals back in the early 1980's.  It has been one of my favorites ever since.  But after seeing this absolutely unbelievable presentation, that concluded with special appearances by Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman, any performance I ever see in the future will pale in comparison to what Mrs. Zebe and I were able to watch today.  The singing, acting, set, costumes, music, etc., were the best I've ever seen.  One of Mrs. Zebe's favorites is Cats (she saw it on Broadway) and we are eagerly waiting for it to come on, along with all of the other Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber's shows.  

 

Thanks to Newf for making me aware of these shows.  If you haven't seen it yet, you have until Noon tomorrow.  I suggest you don't wait like we did last week to watch Superstar.  It had already been taken down when we hooked up the laptop to the tv.  Dammit.

 

Y'all thought all I ever watched were football games, didn't you?  😃

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Zebra Frog said:

But after seeing this absolutely unbelievable presentation, that concluded with special appearances by Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman, any performance I ever see in the future will pale in comparison to what Mrs. Zebe and I were able to watch today.  The singing, acting, set, costumes, music, etc., were the best I've ever seen.  One of Mrs. Zebe's favorites is Cats (she saw it on Broadway) and we are eagerly waiting for it to come on, along with all of the other Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber's shows.  

This one was really, really good, I agree! This "Christine" was even better than Sarah Brightman, I think. Loved all the awkward old Brits from the early productions coming out on stage at the end with Lord Andrew (he's moved up in the world now, Zebra, from a mere Sir). Glad you liked it. I'll be sure to post next week's show as soon as I get the notification. I'll bet Cats will be in the line-up soon. You can subscribe to that YouTube channel, too, if you want to get the emails about the shows yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The show starting tonight is Love Never Dies, Andrew Lloyd Webber's sequel to The Phantom of The Opera, starring Ben Lewis as The Phantom and Anna O'Byrne as Christine. Available for 48 hours globally.

@Zebra Frog

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

The show starting tonight is Love Never Dies, Andrew Lloyd Webber's sequel to The Phantom of The Opera, starring Ben Lewis as The Phantom and Anna O'Byrne as Christine. Available for 48 hours globally.

@Zebra Frog

 

 

 

Just finished watching.  Liked "Phantom" better, but that may have been due to being more familiar with the songs in it.  The Phantom was very good as well as Christine.  I'm a little surprised it didn't catch on with the public, as some of the songs were very good.  

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Zebra Frog said:

Just finished watching.  Liked "Phantom" better, but that may have been due to being more familiar with the songs in it.  The Phantom was very good as well as Christine.  I'm a little surprised it didn't catch on with the public, as some of the songs were very good.  

Good show. The costumes were extra special. I liked some of the songs a lot, too. Solid 4/5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miley Cyrus covered Pink Floyd on SNL.  In case you needed a barometer for what coronavirus has done to western society ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Zebra Frog

Join us for a celebratory tribute to musical compositions of Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber, live from the Royal Albert Hall. Featuring hits from some of his most renowned productions, such as Starlight Express, Evita, Cats, Phantom of the Opera, Jesus Christ Superstar, and more. Available globally for 48 hours from Friday 7pm UK Time/ 2pm ET / 11am PT

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

@Zebra Frog

Join us for a celebratory tribute to musical compositions of Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber, live from the Royal Albert Hall. Featuring hits from some of his most renowned productions, such as Starlight Express, Evita, Cats, Phantom of the Opera, Jesus Christ Superstar, and more. Available globally for 48 hours from Friday 7pm UK Time/ 2pm ET / 11am PT

 

 

Some great performances.  I wasn't very happy with the quality of the sound from the microphones, but I have to remember it's a free show.  Would have preferred that Betty Buckley sang Memory.  Will be interesting to see what show is on next week..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Zebra Frog said:

Some great performances.  I wasn't very happy with the quality of the sound from the microphones, but I have to remember it's a free show.  Would have preferred that Betty Buckley sang Memory.  Will be interesting to see what show is on next week..

Half of it was incredibly cringworthy. Sarah Brightman was not good, even in 1998 when that was made. What a diva. She absolutely BUTCHERED my favorite ALW song of all time, the Pie Jesu from his Requiem. The little boy who sang with her was 100x better than she was. So disappointed in this whole thing. Antonio Banderas was good in his Evita numbers, but as the Phantom? Give me a break! Yeah, one of the only good things about it was that it was free. Bleh. Hopefully, we're back to a real show next week. (Yes, I sound very ungrateful...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Half of it was incredibly cringworthy. Sarah Brightman was not good, even in 1998 when that was made. What a diva. She absolutely BUTCHERED my favorite ALW song of all time, the Pie Jesu from his Requiem. The little boy who sang with her was 100x better than she was. So disappointed in this whole thing. Antonio Banderas was good in his Evita numbers, but as the Phantom? Give me a break! Yeah, one of the only good things about it was that it was free. Bleh. Hopefully, we're back to a real show next week. (Yes, I sound very ungrateful...)

 

Re. sound quality...I never use youtube to play music for serious listening except to listen to get an idea of the music. Costs, but I can really recommend prestomusic.com an English source that markets high quality FLACs of classical and operatic albums. Not as good for Broadway/shows,  however. But there's other outlets for that. BTW, KDFC streams a lot of Broadway and movie stuff along with great classical, and it can be set to 96kbs AAC in the settings menu which is very OK usually if you use their dedicated app. It's a public station easily accessible online or thru its dedicated app or through any general radio app for free.

 

Re. performance quality...well I was depressed yesterday and so watched mindless movies--Hallmark Mysteries (I hesitate to admit). But I had just found out about my son's domestic deployment.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Zebra Frog

Join us this Friday for Alan Ayckbourn and Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical comedy extravaganza, By Jeeves! Inspired by the works of P. G. Wodehouse. By Jeeves - Musical adaptation featuring the much-loved humorous characters created by P.G. Wodehouse, none-too-bright man-about-town Bertie Wooster (John Scherer), and his long-suffering butler Jeeves (Martin Jarvis). The musical is written and directed by respected playwright Alan Ayckbourn with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very, very funny off-the-wall Brit comedy. 👆 Two thumbs up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...