Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The Music Thread

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

About ZZ Top ... have any of you seen the documentary on Netflix about them?  Basically just goes up through Eliminator, but has some great old footage of them.  I am definitely partial to the early, bluesier incarnation of the band, but it was still a mindtrip to see those old Eliminator videos.  Also ashamed to admit as a former Tylerite that I was unaware that their first 2.5 albums were recorded there.

I will have to check that out!

I know they made records after Fandango!, but I honestly could not name them, beyond Tejas and Degüello. Forget about knowing which songs are on which album. At least not until the 1990s or early 2000s. I think some cheap cover band named "ZZ Pop" abducted them during that period.

I bought them all a while back on CD, but I don't think I have heard every second of any of them. I think that they are as bad as the first four are great.

10 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

I will have to check that out!

I know they made records after Fandango!, but I honestly could not name them, beyond Tejas and Degüello. Forget about knowing which songs are on which album. At least not until the 1990s or early 2000s. I think some cheap cover band named "ZZ Pop" abducted them during that period.

I bought them all a while back on CD, but I don't think I have heard every second of any of them. I think that they are as bad as the first four are great.

I bought that much reviled 6-Pack that remastered their first 6 albums with an Eliminator-era drum sound ... it was just such a good deal over what it would cost to buy each individually, but the sound is definitely not the same. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I bought that much reviled 6-Pack that remastered their first 6 albums with an Eliminator-era drum sound ... it was just such a good deal over what it would cost to buy each individually, but the sound is definitely not the same. 

Billy should not have been allowed to remaster anything in the late 1980s. "La Grange" and "Mexican Blackbird" stand out to me the most with different lyrics/song structures and butchered guitar edits. It was turrible!

The correct LP mixes of First Album and Rio Grande Mud can be found on this CD - https://www.discogs.com/ZZ-Top-The-Complete-Studio-Albums-1970-1990/release/4651510

Fandango!'s LP mix can be found on the above album and (as far as I know) all CD reissues after 2006.

Tres Hombres still isn't right. There are varied degrees of bad with it, and the box set above has one of the best CD versions you can hope for at this point.

My sick vinyl fetish aside, if you want any of them to sound right, get the LPs or a digital rip of the LP. All on London Records. Catalog numbers - PS 584 (First Album), XPS 612 (Rio Grande Mud), XPS 631 (Tres Hombres), PS 656 (Fandango!). First Pressings matter here more than most other albums.

2 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

COVID got Joe Diffie. Stay hard, Joe

Aw, man.  Seeing him at Billiy Bobs was an early date for me and the future Mrs. Duq ...

13 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Aw, man.  Seeing him at Billiy Bobs was an early date for me and the future Mrs. Duq ...

Looks like John Prine might be next.

I think Newf mentioned this somewhere, but I'll put in a plug for it, too.

The Metropolitain Opera is streaming a different show for free every 24 hours on their website. Now, opera is not all stuffy, high-brow entertainment for the hoity-toity folks. Why, some of it is down right bawdy and pretty darn funny...and even in ENGLISH! Not only is the Met streaming the shows, it has also put together some interesting extra content to give context for each week's shows. For instance, one of the shows for this week (tonight, in fact) is Verdi's Don Carlo and it happens that there's a donkey with a key role in the production. So, they've got a behind-the-scenes, backstage interview with Sir Gabriel, the donkey. All of these supplementary content articles and synopses of the shows are available at the top of each week's list of productions at the link below. Give it a try. You don't know what you're missing and just think of how awesome the music will sound coming out of your surround sound at home and how beautiful it will look on your gargantuan big screen TV. After all, what else are you doing? Haven't you run out of Tiger King episodes yet? 😜

Weekly Streams:

https://www.metopera.org/user-information/nightly-met-opera-streams/

• Upvote (+1) 2

Conversely, if musical theatre is your thing, Andrew Lloyd Webber is posting a different musical each week on YouTube for free. Starts tomorrow! Here's the YT link.

https://www.youtube.com/theshowsmustgoon

Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber is calling all musical lovers! Starting this Friday, we’ll be releasing a full-length, smash-hit musical once a week for you to watch for free! It will be available for 48 hours, so you can tune in whenever you like over the weekend! First up, it’s Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat!

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Army Frog Fan said:

I've gotten back into the 80's recently.

the fresh prince | Music or Space Shuttle? | Fresh prince ...

Does this mean you'll also be rewatching Miami Vice?

• Haha  (+1) 1

Stay hard, Bill Withers. :(

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Stay hard, Bill Withers. :(

... and Ellis Marsalis.  Family is reporting Ellis was felled by COVID.  Withers' family hasn't released a cause of death ...

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

... and Ellis Marsalis.  Family is reporting Ellis was felled by COVID.  Withers' family hasn't released a cause of death ...

In a statement obtained by the AP, Withers’ family said the three-time Grammy Award winner died Monday in Los Angeles from heart complications. Source

My personal favorite of the Prine discography.

• Upvote (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

My personal favorite of the Prine discography.

I think of that song every time I see a politician wearing a flag lapel pin ...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Prine was here the last time a couple of years ago (2017...he came every some years starting in the 80s.) Here he is at the best record/CD/DVD/etc. music shop in the province.  https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/john-prine-st-johns-covid-19-1.5526164

john-prine.jpg

john-prine.jpg

I do fear for the music scene here if all the oldsters die off...we tend to get ONLY older acts! H(E)LL, Leonard Cohen was here just before he died. Gave an absolutely incredible concert. Especially considering he couldn't sing a note. Maybe that's unfair, he COULD sing one note and kept to that note for whole concerts. But he really was OLD--even by my own evolving (forgive the real science term!) standards!