Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The Music Thread

The Toll Bros. radio opera today was a performance of Berlioz' concert opera The Damnation of Faust. Was late to the gym but got there at 2:30 just as it started. 2 hours and 50 minutes later I finished my routine just as "Pandemonium" was on with Mephistopheles taking Faust down to Hell. Rested on a bench for Marguerite to be wafted gently up to Heaven before going downstairs for a sauna and hot hydrotherapy. 

Never heard it before. Wonderful piece.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

The Damnation of Faust

When I was a freshman at TCU in the Music Department, I was in David Graham's Music History class. It was one of the most difficult classes I ever had while in school. We had weekly music recognition tests and the pieces he chose were sometimes very obscure. This was before the days of having any piece of music at your digital fingertips, so we'd all have to trapise over to the Music Library within Mary Couts Burnett and listen to each week's selections over and over until we could identify every measure of them because you never knew where Mr. Graham was going to start the recording for us to identify it. One week, we were studying Wagner and the opera Faust was in the selection of our listening pleasure. A kid in the class from way out in West Texas somewhere had no clue  of either of these titans of the Arts and, upon being called upon after raising his hand to ask a question, goes on to say, "Do we have to listen to the whole opera of (said phonetically) Foh from Waggg-ner?" We never let him live that down for the next four years. Sometimes, I still have to stop myself from the wrong pronunciations of those names because it was such a running joke for all those years. 😁

• Haha  (+1) 2

More adventures in listening from the pedicure chair...

The Vietnamese version of Angie is oddly very soothing while getting a hot stone leg massage. Conversely, the cover of Clapton's cover of Dylan's Knocking on Heaven's Door is just weird and disturbing.

• Haha  (+1) 1

1 hour ago, frogtwang said:

50 years ago today Black Sabbath released what many consider the first Heavy Metal album. I’m sure @Feeling Froggy probably has some information he can add. 

https://youtu.be/YztzNyDGcpc

Not really much on the background of the album, but more so on the releases of it. Although, Tony Iommi losing his fingertips was one of the best things to ever happen to rock n roll!

I don't know what the first true heavy metal album is, but this is as solid of a candidate as any to me. More so than Steppenwolf's self-titled or the Deep Purple releases that usually also get thrown around.

There are differences between the UK release and the US release, both in mix and tracklists. I prefer the US version's use of Wicked World instead of Evil Woman, but the UK version always seemed to be harder sounding to me. I think Warner Brothers were scared or something when they transfered the master tapes to vinyl mixing. (I have never heard the 7" single of Evil Woman/Wicked World, but I suspect that it would have a slightly louder and more bass heavy mix than what the US released LP got for Wicked World.)

(I can not speak on the tape releases, as the compact cassette tape I had once upon a time was a later release, I refuse to ever listen to it on 8-track, and I doubt I will ever justify the reel to reel costs to own an original.)

• Thanks (+1) 1

Today's opera quiz...

In what Tchaikovsky opera does the fat lady not only not sing last, but tells the tenor to f-off (meaning he doesn't get the girl) leaving him alone on stage for a final sad aria?

1 hour ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Today's opera quiz...

In what Tchaikovsky opera does the fat lady not only not sing last, but tells the tenor to f-off (meaning he doesn't get the girl) leaving him alone on stage for a final sad aria?

Not really familiar with (or like) his operas, but guessing Iolanta?

His best work was a ballet.

13 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

Not really familiar with (or like) his operas, but guessing Iolanta?

Never seen it. But a quick wiki of the plot says the tenor doesn't get her (check!) but that she gets her sight back and sings a happy aria backed by a joyful court.

5 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Never seen it. But a quick wiki of the plot says the tenor doesn't get her (check!) but that she gets her sight back and sings a happy aria backed by a joyful court.

Absolutely no clue, then.

10 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

Absolutely no clue, then.

Based on a source somewhere up there near the pinnacle of Western literature: 

Spoiler

Onegin

For ballet of that period...yes. Personally some other periods appeal to me more.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Sometimes you just need some Pumpkins, and in my opinion, there is only one SP song better than this...

• Upvote (+1) 1

For those interested in power, sex, and cougars, Aggripina (5 time wife including Claudius, probable murderess of Claudius, and mother of Nero) is today's live Met opera at theaters everywhere. She was an interesting girl. Handel.

Noon CST.

• Upvote (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

For those interested in power, sex, and cougars, Aggripina (5 time wife including Claudius, probable murderess of Claudius, and mother of Nero) is today's live Met opera at theaters everywhere. She was an interesting girl. Handel.

Noon CST.

Really good production. Satire handled well. Nerone (Nero) was sung as a trousers role (i.e. a female) who simply blew the stage away with her physicality and acting on top of singing. Basically Heath Ledger on cocaine or maybe a 19 year old Brando. Aggripina was great as well but  Nerone was better.

I would definitely suggest seeing one of the replays over the next while.

• Upvote (+1) 1

On 2/29/2020 at 10:50 AM, Feeling Froggy said:

Sometimes you just need some Pumpkins, and in my opinion, there is only one SP song better than this...

BC's little brother Jessie, who had cerebral palsy, went to the same HS as Mrs. Rothbardian. Said TSP played at some school events...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rothbardian said:

BC's little brother Jessie, who had cerebral palsy, went to the same HS as Mrs. Rothbardian. Said TSP played at some school events...

That's awesome,

Met Opera On Demand starts free streams tonight with a showing of Carmen. I have seen it too many times so won't bother, probably.

If you like music and don't want to see starving artists in the streets, now is the time to buy downloads/CDs of your favorite lo-to-mid level artists who are likely to starve as they'll have no income from gigs for a few months.

About ZZ Top ... have any of you seen the documentary on Netflix about them?  Basically just goes up through Eliminator, but has some great old footage of them.  I am definitely partial to the early, bluesier incarnation of the band, but it was still a mindtrip to see those old Eliminator videos.  Also ashamed to admit as a former Tylerite that I was unaware that their first 2.5 albums were recorded there.

• Upvote (+1) 1