Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The Music Thread

This song really sounds best on vinyl.

There are no halfway tolerable sounding (they are all dirty records/high surface noise/pops/clicks, or mic'ed up speakers instead of line source recording, along with the EQ'ing and compression that Google applies to all uploaded audio) vinyl plays on YouTube, except for a vinyl versus CD comparison about how horrible the loudness wars digital copies are mixed.

I sold my stereo and (almost) all of my vinyl when I moved in 2011. I have been craving a turntable for at least 5 years now. I finally broke down and bought a cheap belt drive 1980s Onkyo the other day. It is so nice to be able to play this (dirty) record again!

ZHqVaFT.jpg

You haven't heard it all until you've heard the Asian easy-listening version of Honky Tonk Woman. 🤨#sittinginthenailsalon

• Haha  (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

You haven't heard it all until you've heard the Asian easy-listening version of Honky Tonk Woman. 🤨#sittinginthenailsalon

Ugh. It's apparently a whole playlist of Stones greatest hits! Start Me Up and Satisfaction have followed. 🤦

• Haha  (+1) 1

(I prefer the musical accompaniment from the death 'n roll cover by Entombed, but Roky still owns at the vocals. Great song, regardless of how it is done, though.)

Warning: The economy of sound. Vinyl record fetish rambling contained below.

I know that I made the statement during the football countdown that if you omit The Beatles or Elvis from record (LP/12"/33.3 rpm) collecting they aren't terrible. Especially when compared to 78s (or even some 45s). I still stand beside that statement, but my Discogs wantlist is filled with some not cheap options - or justifiable, even if I might happen to be in the position to blow that kind of money.

A few examples from window shopping through my wishlist this morning:

This is the absolute top end I will even consider spending. Only three albums that I can think of that I would spend it on. This is one of them. https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/849587744

(I bought a solid VG copy of one of the others - Back in Black: Robert Ludwig mixed first pressing, which is generally considered the "best" BiB pressing - a couple of weeks ago for $17; it plays fine on a cheap turntable, just not good enough for archiving/ripping. That purchase was not about "collecting", but instead for strictly playing the shit out of it and not feeling guilty if I wear it out. I average about 2 spins a day on it.)

Ignoring that I refuse to use PayPal ever again due to a horrible experience and loss of funds, I still would never buy this. I get that you are purchasing the signatures as much as the vinyl. The record itself in unsigned condition is still not cheap. (Thankfully, it is on Earache and they are reissuing a huge part of their back catalog. I hate most remasterings but their FDR range is supposed to be remastering done right; I will likely find out on my next purchase.) https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/376450182

I have seen this go as high as about $750. There are multiple copies currently offered there in similar or better condition for $50 more, too. A lot of fakes to be found with this album, too. https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/1015117644

There have been several classical albums sold on there the last couple of months that have brought $1000+ each. I am not actively looking for ultra-rare pressings of works that were written before the recording of sound. The four or five works that I want can be had by other orchestras and conductors on common pressings for less than $10, thankfully.

Most prog rock by bands not named Pink Floyd (and even some of theirs; Money, for example, ruined Dark Side, imo) is nails on a chalkboard to me, but a 1972-era Stacia Blake dancing? A young Lemmy on the mic? Yes, please! And I even like the song, too!