Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The Music Thread

23 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Still the only one that can do justice to that song, in my opinion. Even if that original version wasn't as big of a commercial success.

Great documentary, too!

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

Great documentary, too!

I was reading the Ft. Worth Memories page on FB and people were discussing the Ken Burns "Country Music" show on PBS that's been on lately. Seems quite a bit of that show focused on Ft. Worth. Most everyone agrees with your assessment of this song, too. I like it!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I was reading the Ft. Worth Memories page on FB and people were discussing the Ken Burns "Country Music" show on PBS that's been on lately. Seems quite a bit of that show focused on Ft. Worth. Most everyone agrees with your assessment of this song, too. I like it!

My favorite Townes songs are "Rake", "Lungs", "Waitin' Around to Die", and "Nothin'". He was the blueprint of what it meant to be a tortured artist, and was at his finest when he sang songs that fully embraced that.

As great as it is, I still feel that "Pancho and Lefty" is second tier in his catalog.

17 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

My favorite Townes songs are "Rake", "Lungs", "Waitin' Around to Die", and "Nothin'". He was the blueprint of what it meant to be a tortured artist, and was at his finest when he sang songs that fully embraced that.

As great as it is, I still feel that "Pancho and Lefty" is second tier in his catalog.

Mrs. Duq's and my first dance at our wedding was to "If I Needed You" sung by Lyle Lovett.  Townes was vastly underrated as a songwriter ...

• Like (+1) 1

Who Made Who?

I never noticed it before, and I have to have heard both songs hundreds of times before. I just happened to have them both on a random playlist, and got them back to back.

Released July 26th, 1973... Note the opening...

And then, at the 2:47 mark, from December 1st, 1975 (release date of the Aussie release of T.N.T., recorded in July 1975)

Guess the Young brothers had a moment of Led Zeppelin-level originality there...

Saw Turandot today at the theater. Director really dramaticked up the music over the performance a few years ago. The finale would work well for a movie score for when the Empire is finally defeated!

I think Yannick may be with the Met Opera for a while. He's a REAL tonic with his infectous love of music and people to get things back on track after the Levine disaster.

• Like (+1) 1

Every single time I listen to The Cure's Disintegration album, I have to follow up with at least one play of this cover. Today was no different.

This morning's play of this song made me wonder if the Frio Town Courthouse is still "standing". I snuck back in there to see it (and check it off my bucket list for Texas courthouses) about 10 years ago and it was a sad sight. I didn't dare walk inside for fear of the remains of the pieces of floor giving way and my foot landing on a rattlesnake.

The memory of that piece of lost Texas makes the song that much sadder, too. Which in turn makes it that much better.

friotown1.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

I love all our old courthouses in Texas. It's so sad to see the ones that have been forgotten and have fallen into disrepair. That website you linked is awesome!

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I love all our old courthouses in Texas. It's so sad to see the ones that have been forgotten and have fallen into disrepair. That website you linked is awesome!

Yeah, I have wasted a ton of hours on Texas Escapes before.

• Upvote (+1) 1