Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The Music Thread

23 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Still the only one that can do justice to that song, in my opinion. Even if that original version wasn't as big of a commercial success.

Great documentary, too!

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

Great documentary, too!

I was reading the Ft. Worth Memories page on FB and people were discussing the Ken Burns "Country Music" show on PBS that's been on lately. Seems quite a bit of that show focused on Ft. Worth. Most everyone agrees with your assessment of this song, too. I like it!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I was reading the Ft. Worth Memories page on FB and people were discussing the Ken Burns "Country Music" show on PBS that's been on lately. Seems quite a bit of that show focused on Ft. Worth. Most everyone agrees with your assessment of this song, too. I like it!

My favorite Townes songs are "Rake", "Lungs", "Waitin' Around to Die", and "Nothin'". He was the blueprint of what it meant to be a tortured artist, and was at his finest when he sang songs that fully embraced that.

As great as it is, I still feel that "Pancho and Lefty" is second tier in his catalog.

17 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

My favorite Townes songs are "Rake", "Lungs", "Waitin' Around to Die", and "Nothin'". He was the blueprint of what it meant to be a tortured artist, and was at his finest when he sang songs that fully embraced that.

As great as it is, I still feel that "Pancho and Lefty" is second tier in his catalog.

Mrs. Duq's and my first dance at our wedding was to "If I Needed You" sung by Lyle Lovett.  Townes was vastly underrated as a songwriter ...

• Like (+1) 1

Who Made Who?

I never noticed it before, and I have to have heard both songs hundreds of times before. I just happened to have them both on a random playlist, and got them back to back.

Released July 26th, 1973... Note the opening...

And then, at the 2:47 mark, from December 1st, 1975 (release date of the Aussie release of T.N.T., recorded in July 1975)

Guess the Young brothers had a moment of Led Zeppelin-level originality there...

Saw Turandot today at the theater. Director really dramaticked up the music over the performance a few years ago. The finale would work well for a movie score for when the Empire is finally defeated!

I think Yannick may be with the Met Opera for a while. He's a REAL tonic with his infectous love of music and people to get things back on track after the Levine disaster.

• Like (+1) 1