Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The Music Thread

That's so sad, @frogtwang. 😟 He was pretty young. How did it happen? I liked his music.

31 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

That's so sad, @frogtwang. 😟 He was pretty young. How did it happen? I liked his music.

No one has said anything officially, lots of rumors that he committed suicide. He was taken to the hospital on Saturday and passed away today. 

• Thanks (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

That band and his music made up the soundtrack to my early adulthood. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:50 PM, Duquesne Frog said:

I know I talked about this blog before, maybe it was on the random general board thread, but I want to reiterate it over here: https://www.stereogum.com/category/franchises/the-number-ones/

The writer posts each day about every Billboard Top 100 #1 song starting from the first one in 1958.  He almost gotten through 1974 now.  With each song, he goes through a bit of the history of the song, the songwriter, and the artist, then critiques the song.

Anyway I bring it back up again because I was thinking recently that we may be experiencing the lowest point in popular music right now.  I think I'm very open minded to new sounds and have pretty eclectic tastes, but three-quarters of what I hear on Top 40 radio right now (and I hear a lot of it because it is all my kids listen to) is absolute garbage.

But as the Stereogum thread works its way through the early-to-mid-1970's, a whole lot of garbage made it to #1 in that era too.  All things in perspective ...

@Feeling Froggy, given your interest and knowledge of the Texas recording industry, I think you'd appreciate todays entry for the #1 Billboard hit (from 3.5 weeks after the day of my birth, May 28, 1975) Freddie Fender's "Before the Next Teardrop Falls"

https://www.stereogum.com/2051164/the-number-ones-freddy-fenders-before-the-next-teardrop-falls/franchises/the-number-ones/

• Like (+1) 1

On a related note, and going back to the discussion about the overall shittiness of Top 40 pop in the early-to-mid 70's, the number one song in the US on the day of my birth?  Tony Orlando and Dawn with He Don't Love You (Like I Love You) ...

• Haha  (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

@Feeling Froggy, given your interest and knowledge of the Texas recording industry, I think you'd appreciate todays entry for the #1 Billboard hit (from 3.5 weeks after the day of my birth, May 28, 1975) Freddie Fender's "Before the Next Teardrop Falls"

https://www.stereogum.com/2051164/the-number-ones-freddy-fenders-before-the-next-teardrop-falls/franchises/the-number-ones/

In reading up on a lot of what I forgot about the Texas recording industry last night, I came across a Freddie related article about Ideal Records (formed in Alice in the early 40s).

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ebi01

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

On a related note, and going back to the discussion about the overall shittiness of Top 40 pop in the early-to-mid 70's, the number one song in the US on the day of my birth?  Tony Orlando and Dawn with He Don't Love You (Like I Love You) ...

Well, you obviously just don't know good music like the rest of the country. Pre-teen PD had every Tony and Dawn album that my meager allowance would buy back then.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Well, you obviously just don't know good music like the rest of the country. Pre-teen PD had every Tony and Dawn album that my meager allowance would buy back then.

My gf and I would drink gin and listen to the Carpenters lps in her dorm room all night a couple of weekends a month (she was 2 hours away). MUCH better 70s  memories than T&D!

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

You'll love the post about that song then if you are offended by my slight of TO ...

Jerry Butler, Curtis Mayfield, and Clarence Carter were all straight-up soul-music greats. They had serious success and made incredible music. And yet none of them ever got to #1. But here comes smug dipshit Tony Orlando, recording a washed-out and empty version of one of their great old songs, giving it an annoyingly parentheses-laden ’70s title, and landing at #1 for three weeks. Chart history can be so aggravating sometimes.

Here’s something that should not surprise you: Tony Orlando & Dawn’s retitled “He Don’t Love You (Like I Love You)” sucks shit. As written, “He Don’t Love You” is a song of need and desperation. ... Orlando sells none of that. He sings it with the same smiley smarminess that he always used for everything.

And the music is, of course, pure ’70s chintz, replete with strings and horn-stabs and xylophones. It bops along, jaunty and cheerful, utterly oblivious to the heartbreak that it’s supposed to convey. You hear a song like this, and you understand why disco needed to show up when it did. Pop needed something to change. This bullshit couldn’t keep happening.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

My gf and I would drink gin and listen to the Carpenters lps in her dorm room all night a couple of weekends a month

When I was young, I'd listen to the radio...💜

2 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Jerry Butler, Curtis Mayfield, and Clarence Carter

None of those guys had the tight, flared pants, mounds of fluffy, feathered hair, or sultry good looks to sell that song, or many others, that Tony had. He could have been an ass in real life, but I happily gave him my spending money.

Every once in a great while, YouTube actually has a good recommendation. Not nearly enough to balance out the stream of horrible garbage it was feeding me before that, though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Rothbardian said:

Like this post if you know who Taya Gaukrodger is...

A Scandanavian ice skater?

• Haha  (+1) 1

Can anyone explain Drake to me?  For the life of me, I do not understand why his stuff is so popular.  Most other popstars I can at least understand what people might see in them and some of their songs, even if I don't like them.  I haven't been able to do that with him, yet ...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Can anyone explain Drake to me?  For the life of me, I do not understand why his stuff is so popular.  Most other popstars I can at least understand what people might see in them and some of their songs, even if I don't like them.  I haven't been able to do that with him, yet ...

Are your kids listening to him?

@Zebra Frog  I'm happily jamming to that John Denver CD you made me years ago as I drive through NW Colorado this morning. It's perfect for the occasion. 😘 Michael Martin Murphey has been keeping me company through Utah and Wyoming. Good music for a swing through the high desert country of the West on the way to Denver.

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

@Zebra Frog  I'm happily jamming to that John Denver CD you made me years ago as I drive through NW Colorado this morning. It's perfect for the occasion. 😘 Michael Martin Murphey has been keeping me company through Utah and Wyoming. Good music for a swing through the high desert country of the West on the way to Denver.

What's a CD?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha  (+1) 1