Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The Music Thread

Recommended Posts

Stay hard Roky Erickson. 

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2019 at 4:27 PM, Feeling Froggy said:

 

This statement will probably get my Native Texan card revoked, as well as being incapable of saying that I love the blues, but here goes... I hated SRV in the 1980s. Today, I still don't think he was the best Texan blues musician, but I have grown to appreciate and like some of his stuff. (At least not when he is covering Jimi. Hendrix was all emotion, filled with sloppy play and errors. SRV was too technically sound and proficient to pull off, in my opinion.)

 

I felt that way more about Clapton than SRV.  His version of Little Wing is far too clean and precise.  I always felt like SRV could sound pretty dirty when he wanted too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

 

I felt that way more about Clapton than SRV.  His version of Little Wing is far too clean and precise.  I always felt like SRV could sound pretty dirty when he wanted too.

Clapton was very sterile (but exceptionally proficient).

 

I don't know, maybe a line from this is the best way to explain it:

"Eric was a guitar player, but Jimi was some kind of force of nature."

 

And in the end, Stevie was just a guitar player, too. All I know for certain is that just about every cover of a Jimi tune has failed to grab me like Jimi doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Feeling Froggy said:

"Eric was a guitar player, but Jimi was some kind of force of nature."

 

And in the end, Stevie was just a guitar player, too. All I know for certain is that just about every cover of a Jimi tune has failed to grab me like Jimi doing it.

 

And studio Jimi could never capture live Jimi ...

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2019 at 4:27 PM, Feeling Froggy said:

This statement will probably get my Native Texan card revoked, as well as being incapable of saying that I love the blues, but here goes... I hated SRV in the 1980s. Today, I still don't think he was the best Texan blues musician, but I have grown to appreciate and like some of his stuff. (At least not when he is covering Jimi. Hendrix was all emotion, filled with sloppy play and errors. SRV was too technically sound and proficient to pull off, in my opinion.)

I liked him. I think one of the things that made him great was his singing voice. He was a surprisingly good singer. He just had a different vibe from Jimi, who was much more explosive and raw. I don't even like to compare the two, as odd as that sounds. Different animals to me. I appreciate both. I like Clapton as well, but some of his solo efforts were awful. I did like the blues album he put out in the '90s. He puts on a very good live show as well. 

 

I was thinking Straight Outta Compton was early '90s, but sure enough it was 1988. I was thinking of Body Count/Cop Killer, which came out around '91 or '92. 

 

I will pretty much always take the '70s over the '80s and even the early '80s over the late '80s, but I'm going through a bit of an '80s revival right now. I'm trying to have more appreciation for what was really my formative decade. So much of what came out of the '80s was total garbage (most of the movies just don't hold up at all), but I'm trying to remember that there was some good stuff around and that I didn't know about a lot of it at the time. 

 

 

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2019 at 10:01 PM, Duquesne Frog said:

 

And studio Jimi could never capture live Jimi ...

I've seen a few interviews with him from talk shows in the '60s. He was so soft-spoken and humble, nothing like the force he was on stage. Just an astonishing talent and easily the greatest loss of the rock deaths of the early '70s. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Boston Frog said:

I was thinking Straight Outta Compton was early '90s, but sure enough it was 1988. I was thinking of Body Count/Cop Killer, which came out around '91 or '92. 

 

I will pretty much always take the '70s over the '80s and even the early '80s over the late '80s, but I'm going through a bit of an '80s revival right now. I'm trying to have more appreciation for what was really my formative decade. So much of what came out of the '80s was total garbage (most of the movies just don't hold up at all), but I'm trying to remember that there was some good stuff around and that I didn't know about a lot of it at the time.

Ice-T's rap stuff was definitely '80s (starting in 1983-4, as I recall from my last discogs visit to his page), but I never heard it at the time. In fact, I am not sure I have heard much of it to this day. I have heard Freedom of Speech as done by both Ice-T and then transformed to the rock version Body Count used to replace Cop Killer on later pressings of the '92 album. Ernie C did a decent job covering Jimi there, because it wasn't a real cover, and the lyrical message was far more important than a song about a beautiful woman. But I understand your Jimi-SRV stance, because I hold it there. (I cringe at the Body Count cover of Hey Joe, though. Not because it was bad, but because it wasn't Jimi.)

 

Interesting that you bring it up, because just yesterday I had revisited that album. Still one of my favorite hard rock/thrash/hardcore albums of the 1990s. (They are working on their 7th album now; Ice-T said it would be a big screw you to vegans and has the working title of Carnivore.)

 

The only suggestion I have that you might not have heard of for the '80s is thrash. (Surprise, surprise.) Coroner's Punishment for Decadence.

 

For movies, 1967-1979 is the best era for the craft, in my view. But not really the mainstream stuff. Grindhouse and underground. Anything went, there was a lot of experimentation, and that '70s era grainy film stock was perfection.

 

The only music death/27 Club induction that was a greater loss than Jimi was Robert Johnson, in my opinion. Really more 1a and 1b, though.

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bought a book written by the guy who started this band. Got it for 30 cents at a used bookstore. Album wasn't released until 1979 but the song is from '73. 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stay hard Jeff Austin. 

 

This is one hurts a lot. I saw him and YMSB close to 50 times. Jeff will be sorely missed.

 

 

 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...