Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

The Music Thread

11 minutes ago, frogtwang said:

I've said it before, the best Hanks are the odd ones. 

Agreed. I don't care for Junior, neither as a musician, and definitely not for ending up with a very rare handgun that I was supposed to be offered by a friend when he decided to sell it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is real West Virginia. The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia. Interesting family to say the least... 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well we're losing all the outlaws 
that had to stand their ground
and they're being replaced by these kids 
from a manufactured town
And they don't have no idea 
about sorrow and woe
'Cause they're all just too damn busy 
kissin' ass on Music Row

So I'm here to put the "dick" in Dixie 
and the "xxxx" back in country
'Cause the kind of country I hear nowdays 
is a bunch of fxxxxn' shit to me
And they say that I'm ill-mannered 
that I'm gonna self-destruct
But if you know what I'm thinkin' 
you'll know that pop country really sucks

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

Agreed. I don't care for Junior, neither as a musician, and definitely not for ending up with a very rare handgun that I was supposed to be offered by a friend when he decided to sell it.

Junior is garbage. I had no idea that he was back doing the opening to MNF. I haven't watched it in years. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just now, frogtwang said:

Junior is garbage. I had no idea that he was back doing the opening to MNF. I haven't watched it in years. 

Nor did I. He is a good match for the NFL, though; two peas in a pod.

We have a mutual friend, and I will say that friend wouldn't be a friend if he was anything like Junior.

17 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

How does Sinterklaas get his horse on top of buildings, @Boston Frog?

He usually doesn't. He leaves treats on plates or in shoes outside the front door. He brought the boys some toys last night. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

(YouTube is a horrible way to hear it but it will have to suffice as I can't post hi-res flac rips... It is much better sounding than the CD, though.)

• Upvote (+1) 1

On 11/3/2018 at 4:25 AM, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Don't listen to any of the critics who obviously saw a different movie. Go see Bohemian Rhapsody. Now.

I may skip Aida to watch it again today before the game...though that might make today too much of an emotional roller coaster when the Frogs lose again.

I really don't remember going to a movie where about a third of the audience were openly crying with tears of joy and sadness for most of the movie. Even men. And applauded the movie at the end.

Do see it in IMAX for the sound even more than the visuals. The soundtrack is simply awesome. The cinematography, BTW, is also pretty good, though.

You must be pleased now that BR won a Golden Globe for Best Picture and Rami Malek won for Best Actor, @NewfoundlandFreeFrog. Buckingham Palace even noted the milestone. Queen for the Queen!

Big Queen fans! Guards play Bohemian Rhapsody at the Palace – hours after movie's Golden Globe wins

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6568483/Royal-Guards-play-Bohemian-Rhapsody-Palace-hours-movies-Golden-Globe-wins.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490

Hope I'm not hijacking anything here, but is anyone into what I would call "Rock Instrumental"?? Heavy Guitar peaks and valleys, strong bass, and drum solos.

Examples include-

Explosions in the Sky

If these trees could talk

Of the Vine

Mogwai 

Edit- It's really more "Instrumental Post-Rock" if you will.

I am breaking my self-imposed rule about posting anything thing harder than Megadeth, Slayer, or the like. Kind of. I will make an exception for this bluegrass cover of a metal song. It is much softer than the At The Gates original, so hopefully musically it doesn't offend too much. (No promises on the lyrics, even though they are fairly benign compared to a lot of other things I listen to.)

14 hours ago, Feeling Froggy said:

I am breaking my self-imposed rule about posting anything thing harder than Megadeth, Slayer, or the like. 

Like what? Give me some names. 

12 hours ago, Boston Frog said:

Like what? Give me some names. 

Thrash? Start with Coroner. Sodom is good too. Maybe Panzerchrist belongs here, depending on album. For pure speed, Slayer still holds the crown with Reign in Blood, so much so that even they slowed down and just focused on being harder after it (the cassette even had all of the album on one side, with the b-side being just a duplicate of the a-side). (I also specifically am ignoring Napalm Death's 0.4 second long "song", because that was done just to prove a point and set a Guinness Book of World Records, besides not being a big ND fan.)

A good lateral move here would be stoner metal; 1990s era Corrosion of Conformity after they stopped being a hardcore/punk/thrash crossover band (Deliverance is still one of my favorite albums of all time/genres). Acid Bath (When the Kite String Pops is harder than Paegan Terrorism Tactics, but I like the sophmore release more, as well as preferring all of Dax Riggs folk rock/acoustic stuff later).

Slight step up would be melodic death metal/modern death metal; In Flames, At The Gates, Amon Armoth (and a bunch of others that I don't know of because I lost interest in the genre around 2000).

Next would be where I cut my teeth; old school death metal and grindcore. Death, Obituary, Dismember, Entombed (they changed to Death n Roll after Wolverine Blues), Carcass. Grave. An example of where we are, given only because the song is one of my favorites (but The Animals still did it the best):

Somewhere in between the above and the below belongs Cannibal Corpse.

Deeper down the rabbit hole; brutal death metal. Start with the classics like Devourment, Suffocation. Disavowed has been played a lot lately on my stereo. More modern; Abnormality (Female fronted band from Boston; must listen if you make it this far into the list with out cussing me and giving up!), Omnihility, Vile (though I only care for the 1999 & 2002 albums), Gorgasm, Gortuary, Chordotomy, Vulvectomy, Diminished...

For the specialized sub-genres start with technical bdm; Deeds of Flesh, Hour of Penance. Nile fits here, even if a little off kilter and under the shadow of the Great Pyramids (I prefer the earlier albums, specifically Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka and the remixed/rerelease of it, In the Beginning, they did get harder and slightly more conventional later on).

Make it beyond this point and we will talk about slam bands, goregrind and other harder stuff. (Including German redneck banjo slam; yes, it is a thing, and yes it is awesome, and yes, it makes Kerry King and Tom Araya cower in fear.)

Here's another rule breaker, because... Well, just play it and you will find out (the rest of the album is 100% grindcore/goregrind lite, though):

And check your private messages...

Also, I am not hard enough to handle the crushing brutality of Enya in more than a casual passing listen. Definitely can't hang with Abba. That is just too extreme for me.

It also bears mentioning that none of these listed are as hard as Johnny Cash, because he "shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die..."

• Thanks (+1) 1

Holy coitus.  Alfred Hitchcock never knew the slightest thing about depicting deep emotions.

The Met's new commissioned production of Marnie is mind-boggling. Takes a while to get with the atonality--though interestingly it gets more more tonal and "normally" chromatic as the opera goes on which is a definite part of the journey.

If you're Catholic, I suggest staying away or taking a Paxil first. It is a major exploration of deep guilt and terrible sins. All of my own most major personal sins against close people over the decades just kept bubbling up through my more usually sociopathic, guilt-shirking mind.

BTW. Tippi Hedren was there for the opening.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I'm going to run right out to see that one. :)