Sign in to follow this  
Army Frog Fan

The movie thread

I am a big fan of Elton John 1970-1977, a modest fan of him for the next 15 and I don't really care for much of his stuff the last 15-20 years.  

I thought Rocketman was just okay.  I really wanted to like it a lot more than I did.  Bohemian Rhapsody was far better, in my opinion.  

A similar fiction music movie, Yesterday, about the glitch that caused the Beatles to never exist and only one guy remembered them was a pretty good film.  I really enjoyed it.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

Haven't seen Rocketman and agree that Bohemian Rhapsody was good, not great.  Rami Malek was fantastic as Mercury.  Without him, the movie would have been meh ...

• Upvote (+1) 1

On 8/26/2019 at 11:15 AM, tcudoc said:

I am a big fan of Elton John 1970-1977, a modest fan of him for the next 15 and I don't really care for much of his stuff the last 15-20 years.  

Have you heard his album with Leon Russell? I'm kind of with you on EJ's stuff from his later years, but I really love that album. Plus, the whole story behind it is super special. Elton is a really kind, compassionate man.

On 8/30/2019 at 6:29 AM, PurpleDawg said:

Have you heard his album with Leon Russell? I'm kind of with you on EJ's stuff from his later years, but I really love that album. Plus, the whole story behind it is super special. Elton is a really kind, compassionate man.

I am not aware of that album.  I will have to give it a try.  

I really love his really old stuff like Madman Across the Water, Burn Down the Mission,  and the entire Captain Fantastic Album..  Those are just some really good rock songs.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm finding a total dearth of movies out at theaters I have any desire to see over the past month. Things should pick up in the fall and if nothing else Met Opera Live on screen and Bolshoi Live is coming is coming up soon. Both repertoires look pretty good this year.

Met season is:

Ahknaton, Turandot, Manon, Madama Butterfly, Wozzek, Porgy and Bess, Wagner's Flying Dutchman(about as stirring as music gets!), Aggripina, Tosca, and Maria Stuarda.

Bolshoi season is:

Raymonda, Le Corsaire, Nutcracker, Giselle, Swan Lake, Romeo and Juliet, and Jewels.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

9 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

I'm finding a total dearth of movies out at theaters I have any desire to see over the past month. Things should pick up in the fall and if nothing else Met Opera Live on screen and Bolshoi Live is coming is coming up soon. Both repertoires look pretty good this year.

Met season is:

Ahknaton, Turandot, Manon, Madama Butterfly, Wozzek, Porgy and Bess, Wagner's Flying Dutchman(about as stirring as music gets!), Aggripina, Tosca, and Maria Stuarda.

Bolshoi season is:

Raymonda, Le Corsaire, Nutcracker, Giselle, Swan Lake, Romeo and Juliet, and Jewels.

Boston: 

Here is a score plus audio Youtube of Der fliegende Holländer. The recording is old (1955 Bayreuth) but good quality. In a lot of places the score is downright intimidating and a bit kinda seasick-inducing itself to look at for a nonprofessional like me.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 9/4/2019 at 7:07 AM, tcudoc said:

I am not aware of that album.  I will have to give it a try.  

I really love his really old stuff like Madman Across the Water, Burn Down  and the entire Captain Fantastic Album..  Those are just some really good rock songs.

All excellent! Be sure to look for the other album. It's called The Union, I think.

• Upvote (+1) 1