Sign in to follow this  
Army Frog Fan

The movie thread

my kids loved it. I didn't think it was horrible, bit it wasn't my favorite. Dragged in places. And Johnny Depp was creepy on a Law and Order SVU kind of way.

Our granddaughter loved it, and we assume that one way or another she and Miz Scribe will see it on dvd when next we have the kiddie here (kiddie, well she's 11 and more than 11 in some ways)

J-Lo's The Boy Next Door 

I think this gal is going through a full on cougar crisis. Wasn't her last song called Booty?

She's real close to the creepy line. 

Boyhood? Meh.

I get the unprecedented way in which it was filmed and the concept is great in theory, but the story just wasn't particularly compelling to me.

Thought I'd get this thread rolling again.  Saw a couple of good movies lately I can recommend.

Spotlight -- About how the Boston Globe broke the Catholic Church sexual abuse scandal.  Great reminder of the importance of investigative journalism.  Prompted me to subscribe to the Washington Post because American newspapers are a dying breed and we need them.

Eye in the Skye - Looks at the moral dilemma of drone warfare and knowingly sacrificing one innocent to save others.  Also has some of my favorite British Actors in it.

47 minutes ago, gofrogs152 said:

Thought I'd get this thread rolling again.  Saw a couple of good movies lately I can recommend.

Spotlight -- About how the Boston Globe broke the Catholic Church sexual abuse scandal.  Great reminder of the importance of investigative journalism.  Prompted me to subscribe to the Washington Post because American newspapers are a dying breed and we need them.

Eye in the Skye - Looks at the moral dilemma of drone warfare and knowingly sacrificing one innocent to save others.  Also has some of my favorite British Actors in it.

spotlight was excellent! We are nudging toward the 21st century and now have Roku, which enables us  to see Amazon, and we have been bingeing on Bosch, which I have wanted to see since I am a huge Michael Connelly fan. And the show is very good!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just watched Chicken People. Not as weird as it could have been.

I tried the D-Box seats for Fantastic Beasts in 3D. Pretty good experience. Like a mini ride while you watch the movie for $8 more. 

The movie was decent too. 

I am not familiar with the D Box seats.  Are those ones that move in conjunction with the flow of the movie, similar to the experiences at Disney World and elsewhere?

I watched the Fantastic Beasts movie because my family wanted to see it.  No offense, but I found it to be horrible and without any semblance of a plot.

I'll admit that I am not a Harry Potter fan, but I felt that this movie was just an excuse to get some more money out of the franchise. The plot (or lack of plot) felt a lot like a Pokemon movie.  Just a bunch of people going around trying to capture these things that were neither believable nor interesting, mixed in with a couple of awkward love interest story lines between unattractive British actors.   

Since I saw it, I have found that the audience response is very polarized.  You either think it is really good or really bad.  I have met very few who were on the fence about it.  

I also saw Rogue One, which I thought was pretty well done.  I am not a huge Star Wars fan, though I have seen them all.  It was nostalgic to see the inter-weavings of this plot as it pertained to the original Star Wars (Episode 4).

Very seldom do I go to the movies any longer.  Maybe every 6 months will go with the grandkids, but by the time I buy the tickets, popcorn, soft drinks, and candy (for 4), I have spent more money than I feel comfortable in doing.  

After a few months, they can come to the house, we can watch it "on-demand" on tv, and have the other stuff for a lot less money.

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zebra Frog said:

Very seldom do I go to the movies any longer.  Maybe every 6 months will go with the grandkids, but by the time I buy the tickets, popcorn, soft drinks, and candy (for 4), I have spent more money than I feel comfortable in doing.  

After a few months, they can come to the house, we can watch it "on-demand" on tv, and have the other stuff for a lot less money.

I agree. I probably haven't been to a theater to see a movie in 10 or more years.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zebra Frog said:

Go by yourself! Old people get a great Tuesday discount some places. I can go to a Cineplex Imax 3D showing on Tuesday afternoon for about $8USD. Regular shows are under $6USD. Actually kids get a Tuesday discount too, but since my kids are in their 20s, it doesn't help, sadly.

Met operas, National Theatre, and Bolshoi Ballet are more expensive...about $22USD and no senior's discount cuz I suppose they figure only seniors are going anyway :angry: .

I just bring in a nice Second Cup coffee and that's all the food I need.

I stopped going when they did away with the $1 movie theaters. The Wedgewood Theater was a great place to see shows that had just come out of the first-run places. For $5 you could see the show and get all your food. Perfect for broke students and those paying off student loans. 

I only watch fairly recent movies on airplanes.  To me the big screen is about eight inches wide.  My record is three full length movies on the five hour flight from LAX.  I had to start while still at the gate and rely on congestion making us wait in line to take off.  I have no recollection of what I watched. 

Got forced into going to watch "Fences" last night.  Viola Davis was terrific.  Movie sucked, don't waste your money.

I saw "Manchester by the Sea" yesterday.  I liked it.  Not a movie to see if you need something light or uplifting.

I just read a headline about Margot Robbie being cast as Tonya Harding, and my immediate gut-reaction, chauvinistic-swine response is, "You gotta be shitting me" but then I look at the picture ...

http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vulture/2017/01/17/17-margot-robbie-tonya-harding.w1200.h630.jpg

That is some Charlize-Theron-in-Monster-esque makeup/prosthetics right there.  Which begs the question, why can't Hollywood cast regular-looking women in roles about regular-looking women?

Rogue One is about to crack the one billion dollar mark in world wide box office.  2 films, 3 billion in tickets.

Disney is looking really stupid spending all that money to buy Lucasfilm.....

8 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I just read a headline about Margot Robbie being cast as Tonya Harding, and my immediate gut-reaction, chauvinistic-swine response is, "You gotta be shitting me" but then I look at the picture ...

http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vulture/2017/01/17/17-margot-robbie-tonya-harding.w1200.h630.jpg

That is some Charlize-Theron-in-Monster-esque makeup/prosthetics right there.  Which begs the question, why can't Hollywood cast regular-looking women in roles about regular-looking women?

Melissa McCarthy can't be in EVERY movie. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

There ain't nothing "regular looking" about Tonya Harding.

Speaking as someone who still lives close to TCU, I consider Charlize Theron and Margot Robbie to be very average looking.

My sample may be off though.