Sign in to follow this  
Army Frog Fan

The movie thread

Finally watched Boogie Nights, about 16 years after it came out.  Much darker movie than expected.  Thoughts?

I thought it was pretty funny, but not as great as the critics said. Hollywood loved it because Hollywood loves every movie about making movies.

That long tracking shot at the opening was damned impressive, but I liked the one in Goodfellas better.

I watched To Kill a Mockingbird last night.  I had read the book three times throughout my life, but never had seen the movie.  Pretty well done overall.  Trivia question that I did not know until after the movie was over.  Who made their big screen debut in the role of Boo Radley in the movie?

I watched To Kill a Mockingbird last night.  I had read the book three times throughout my life, but never had seen the movie.  Pretty well done overall.  Trivia question that I did not know until after the movie was over.  Who made their big screen debut in the role of Boo Radley in the movie?

Robert Duvall.

I'll take Jap Anus Relations for $200....

• Upvote (+1) 1

speaking of old stuff....we recently watched Centennial, which we first saw when it came out on TV in 1978.....it is just as good now as then....holds up better than I expected, and is a dandy multi-generational yarn....available from Netflix if you have never seen it...

Maybe you should write about it and tell the dirty truth. 

Agree that Powers Boothe was awesome in that role.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunfight_at_the_O.K._Corral

Already a lot written about it.  Most people don't realize the gunfight was not at the OK Corral until Hollywood put it there.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/listing/2670130952593?r=1&cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-Book_15To24-_-Q000000633-_-2670130952593 - Pretty sure this is the audiobook I listened to about the Earps history and the gunfight.  It was really good.

My wife and I rented The Captive last night on Uverse.  Despite poor reviews on Rotten tomatoes, we thought it was pretty good.  Definitely worth $6.

Flicks I am looking forward to see in the next year (in no particular order, some of which may already be out):

Fury

Star Wars Ep. VII

Jurassic World

American Sniper

Spectre

The Gambler

In the Heart of the Sea

True Story

Terminator:Genisys

Pan

The Imitation Game

Focus

Interstellar

Taken 3

Oh, and bump:

Necropost.png

Recently watched Suicide Kings (old movie), with Christopher Walken.  I realize that I have not seen nearly enough of his movies.  It was a pretty decent movie, overall.

Recently watched Suicide Kings (old movie), with Christopher Walken. I realize that I have not seen nearly enough of his movies. It was a pretty decent movie, overall.

I always liked his movies, but he has become a little weird in the past few years.

I always liked his movies, but he has become a little weird in the past few years.

Weird is an understatement. Like Mickey Rourke, he's become a caricature of himself.

I still like his movies, though.

For me, that is the appeal.  He is totally weird, and likely involved in the murder of Natalie Wood.  A loose cannon that is unpredictable.

Mrs. Zebra went and saw "Into The Woods" today. Her one-word description was "Horrible."

my kids loved it. I didn't think it was horrible, bit it wasn't my favorite. Dragged in places. And Johnny Depp was creepy on a Law and Order SVU kind of way.

We plucked ``Get Low" from Netflix and saw it last night and it was terrific. Never heard of it, but it starred Duvall, Spacek, Bill Murray and was really verrrry good. Based on a true story, too.

I watched Kurosawa's "Kagemusha".  He was truly some movie maker. He had fans in Hollywood: Noticed that Coppola and Lucas supervised the English version in that late 70s.

At Cannes in 1980 it tied for the Palme d'Or with All That Jazz...another all time fave of mine.