Sign in to follow this  
Army Frog Fan

The movie thread

I am on Netflix streaming from Apple TV. It suggests The Untouchables, which of course is greatness so I am obligated to watch. Anyway, it inspired me to start a movie thread.

To be continued.

Ok I'll start, not sure what we will call this yet but here is the opening scene:

A young man is lying on a bed, just a single bed in a small room, plainly decorated. He is wearing dark dress pants, black shoes, a white dress shirt unbuttoned at the top and at the sleeves, and headphones, Beats, he is alone. The music though is unexpected, Tchaikovsky's 6th, and the camera slowly rotates about the bed. We hear a knock on the door but the young man doesn't respond, several more knocks and finally the door opens. An older man sticks his head in the door and motions at his son to remove the headphones, he says "it's time" and then leaves with the door still ajar.

Just wondering...what is the idea of this thread? To review movies? To make up a movie scenario? But nice to see Jimmie Mac contributing!

Just wondering...what is the idea of this thread? To review movies? To make up a movie scenario? But nice to see Jimmie Mac contributing!

Not really sure.  I figured we had a TV thread and a music thread, so a movie thread was the next logical step.

Just watched Argo. Solid flick, although annoying that they in typical Hollywood fashion felt the need to mess with the history as much as they did.

Affleck has done a really good job rehabilitating his career ...

Affleck has done a really good job rehabilitating his career ...

You mean, since J-Lo?

If y'all are on netflix, check out the new documentary "The Battered Bastards of Baseball".  Very entertaining.

Mrs. Turk and I saw "Lucy" yesterday. Both of us were looking forward to it.

It starts off okay, but gets pretty cosmic in the third act. I'd say I was disappointed, but any time you get to see Scarlett Johansen on the screen for two hours is time well spent, IMHO.

Is everybody dead at the end?

I'll let you know after I see it.

I assume all of the bad guys die because #1 the bad guys are horrible shots, #2 the bad guys just stand out in the open and are easy targets, #3 the good guys never have to reload, and #4 the good guys are paid more than the bad guys. 

Watched Now You See Me the other night. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

With that cast it looks like it'd be a good movie.  Weak title though.  

Favorite movies of mine include:

No Country For Old Men

Tombstone

Braveheart

Also pretty good:

O Brother Where Art Thou

The Green Mile

Blood Diamond

I watched Wyatt Earp the other night.  The one with Kevin Costner.  It is amazing how similar the plot is to Tombstone (both loosely based on history, so I guess it makes sense.  As I watched the movie, I really found that I hated the portrayals of all of the characters in Wyatt Earp and how much I preferred the character portrayals in Tombstone.  I wonder if it is that I saw Tombstone so many years before the other one and have watched it so many times.  It really felt like Billy Ray Cyrus had covered a Led Zeppelin song.  I had that strong of an aversion to it, especially the Doc Holliday character.

Favorite movies of mine include:

No Country For Old Men

Tombstone

Braveheart

Also pretty good:

O Brother Where Art Thou

The Green Mile

Blood Diamond

I watched Wyatt Earp the other night.  The one with Kevin Costner.  It is amazing how similar the plot is to Tombstone (both loosely based on history, so I guess it makes sense.  As I watched the movie, I really found that I hated the portrayals of all of the characters in Wyatt Earp and how much I preferred the character portrayals in Tombstone.  I wonder if it is that I saw Tombstone so many years before the other one and have watched it so many times.  It really felt like Billy Ray Cyrus had covered a Led Zeppelin song.  I had that strong of an aversion to it, especially the Doc Holliday character.

Agree entirely about WE and Tombstone. Didn't like the Costner movie at all, particularly Doc. Tombstone is a classic.

I watched "Bernie" on netflix the other evening.

Loved it. Jack Black was genius in that movie.

I don't think you can appreciate as much if you don't encounter all the characters on almost a daily basis in real life.

I don't think you can appreciate as much if you don't encounter all the characters on almost a daily basis in real life.

How far is Carthage from Montalba?

I watched "Bernie" on netflix the other evening.

Loved it. Jack Black was genius in that movie.

Hey! My dad was involved in his investigation. The real Bernie, not Jack Black. But he didn't make it into the movie ...