Sign in to follow this  
Friskyfrog

If you could see any band from any era...

Been to three of their dueling piano concerts.  Awesome!  But, time and age has taken its toll on both performers.

Such ``duels" used to be quite the thing......once saw a Krupa-Buddy Rich ``battle of the drums" in Austin.

Such ``duels" used to be quite the thing......once saw a Krupa-Buddy Rich ``battle of the drums" in Austin.

Krupa and Rich were my idols as a youngster trying to learn to play the drums (and failing).

Not really.  He was from El Paso.  His girl friend moved to my home town (small).  She got him to come play at our Jr.-Sr. Prom for free that was held in the Sheriff's County Posse Barn, where they hold all the rodeo dances during the rodeo.  She and I dated for a little while, they broke up (not because of me, that's for sure), and one night she found out he had been found dead in Los Angeles.  The mysterious death has never been solved.  She was voted Most Beautiful in high school and ended up marrying one of my best friends, in fact the Best Man at my wedding. 

I'm surprised anybody remembered that song/him, but the dance was a blast and he had a great band.  At one time she had at lot of records he had cut before making it with one song.  Who knows what she did with them.

Found shot in his car, wasn't he? The Clash does a great version of I Fought the Law, of course

Stevie Ray played in my blues bar in 1982, before he made the big time.  Saw Led Zeplin on B2B nights (Dallas & FW) in the late 70's and also saw Hendrix in 1969.

I'd probably like to see Hendrix again

Your blues bar? Hendrix? Tell us more...

Queen with Freddie Mercury is an excellent shout

Your blues bar? Hendrix? Tell us more...

Speaking of blues bars...J&J's has its grand re-opening on July 27th. Gonna be a Friday & Saturday night only joint. God, I used to love that place. Hope it has the same vibe.

Speaking of blues bars...J&J's has its grand re-opening on July 27th. Gonna be a Friday & Saturday night only joint. God, I used to love that place. Hope it has the same vibe.

Way cool.  Had not heard that.  WIll they be open regularly or sporadically?  Do you know who is playing?

Way cool. Had not heard that. WIll they be open regularly or sporadically? Do you know who is playing?

I saw the names but didn't recognize any of them. My understanding is that it's going to be open every Fri and Sat night. Guess that means no more weeknight open mic jams yet, but I'm hopeful.

That's a pretty good call.

I've always been partial to old Steely Dan or Bob Marley

Going to see them at Red Rocks later this month. 

SRV was  good friends with the bass player in my house band.  SRV came over after midnight after an earlier gig that night and played until 2AM (about 45 mins).  My oyster/blues bar was in Midland and had the same menu as J&J's.  When I started doing bands on the weekends, Jim S. of J&J's told me that it was foolish and would be a waste of money (wrong). He opened J&J blues bar not too long afterwards.

It was 1968 not 69.  I went to the Hendrix concert with a friend of mine and his older brother (that had just got back from Viet Nam). 

Unfortunately, I was too young to appreciate the greatness of Hendrix

So, you owned this place? For how long? Who else played there?

Colorado?

Can't stand it any longer, derision be damned....I opt for Benny Goodman's 1938 aggregation (the Carnegie Hall band)....

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can't stand it any longer, derision be damned....I opt for Benny Goodman's 1938 aggregation (the Carnegie Hall band)....

That would be incredible

Really?  Where's that?  Sounds awesome.

Seems my tastes are a bit heavier than most... I'd love to go to any metal show from 1988-1992. So many incredible bands were at their peak and so many great festivals were had.

Samples...

The 91-92 Metallica and Guns N Roses tour
1988 Monsters of Rock at Donington: Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Anthrax, KISS, Guns N Roses
1991 Monsters of Rock at Donington: AC/DC, Motley Crue, Metallica
Clash of the Titans (1991): Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Alice in Chains and Testament
Tushino Airfield '91: AC/DC, Metallica and Pantera
The Freddy Mercury Tribute Concert in 1992

I could go on.

Really?  Where's that?  Sounds awesome.

Red Rocks is an outdoor amphitheater in Denver carved out of red rocks.  One of the best settings in the country to see an outdoor concert.  I saw Celtic Women there.  

I took my daughter who really liked them. It is what a good father reluctantly does.

I saw U2 in 1987. That's about as close to the pinnacle as a rock band gets. 

I am not a huge U2 fan, so I was more impressed with how mesmerized all the fans were. To be honest, I find most concerts strange and distracting. People are so weird. 

Red Rocks is an outdoor amphitheater in Denver carved out of red rocks.  One of the best settings in the country to see an outdoor concert.  I saw Celtic Women there.  

I took my daughter who really liked them. It is what a good father reluctantly does.

Sounds great (no pun intended).

PAF, clear out your guest room.  I might need to come visit.

Seems my tastes are a bit heavier than most... I'd love to go to any metal show from 1988-1992. So many incredible bands were at their peak and so many great festivals were had.

Samples...

The 91-92 Metallica and Guns N Roses tour

1988 Monsters of Rock at Donington: Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Anthrax, KISS, Guns N Roses

1991 Monsters of Rock at Donington: AC/DC, Motley Crue, Metallica

Clash of the Titans (1991): Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Alice in Chains and Testament

Tushino Airfield '91: AC/DC, Metallica and Pantera

The Freddy Mercury Tribute Concert in 1992

I could go on.

I'd go to any of those shows. I saw Maiden with Alice Cooper last summer at Great Woods. Excellent show

I'd go to any of those shows. I saw Maiden with Alice Cooper last summer at Great Woods. Excellent show

Saw 7th Son tour at TC convention center. Probably the best show I've ever seen.

My cousin plays keyboards in the Randy Rogers Band. They played at Red Rock about a months ago and it was shown live on the AXS Cable Network. Great concert and he said the place was unbelievable. And, the AXS network shows all kinds of concerts. Great channel to DVR and watch on Saturday mornings when crap is on.

AC/DC is my favorite band of all time, so I would have loved to have seen them with Bon Scott, as somebody else here mentioned

AC/DC is my favorite band of all time, so I would have loved to have seen them with Bon Scott, as somebody else here mentioned

I am a little hurt that you didn't choose Laura Branigan...

I am a little hurt that you didn't choose Laura Branigan...

I wouldn't go to that show without you