Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

TV Thread

Little Fires Everywhere wrapped up yesterday and was intense! Reese Witherspoon and Kerry Washington will be in the conversation for some awards later this year. The book was good, but the show was terrific.

11 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Little Fires Everywhere wrapped up yesterday and was intense! Reese Witherspoon and Kerry Washington will be in the conversation for some awards later this year. The book was good, but the show was terrific.

What is it about?

1 hour ago, Army Frog Fan said:

What is it about?

Underlying racism in Shaker Heights, OH, in the late '90's. But, it's a very subtle narrative. The story revolves around an upper middle class nuclear white family totally run by the wife/mom (Witherspoon) and a black single mom with "sketchy" background (Washington) who drags her teen daughter around the country without honestly telling the kid why. There's crap within the "perfect" white family that the mom continually glosses over and she is the cause of most of it. The black mom's past comes out because of the white mom sticking her nose into everyone's business and that's when the caca meets the air mover. The ending is a surprise for everyone. Very bingeable.

1 minute ago, PurpleDawg said:

Underlying racism in Shaker Heights, OH, in the late '90's. But, it's a very subtle narrative. The story revolves around an upper middle class nuclear white family totally run by the wife/mom (Witherspoon) and a black single mom with "sketchy" background (Washington) who drags her teen daughter around the country without honestly telling the kid why. There's crap within the "perfect" white family that the mom continually glosses over and she is the cause of most of it. The black mom's past comes out because of the white mom sticking her nose into everyone's business and that's when the caca meets the air mover. The ending is a surprise for everyone. Very bingeable.

Thanks for the tip.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Little Fires Everywhere wrapped up yesterday

My wife has been really into this show lately.  Not really my deal - but many of the shows I'm into aren't hers!

• Upvote (+1) 1

16 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

You're probably a fan of crazy Beth Dutton.

Damn right!

Are there new episodes?

1 hour ago, Zebra Frog said:

Damn right!

Are there new episodes?

You'd have to ask @Newbomb Turk. The Yellowstone I'm into isn't on TV.

4 hours ago, Zebra Frog said:

Damn right!

Are there new episodes?

Per Wikipedia, Season 3 is scheduled to start in June. I think all the shooting has been done, so COVID may not affect the release date.

Yellowstone Season 3 premiere set for Fathers Day June 21.

(Appropriate since I’d love to be Beth Dutton’s daddy.)

• Upvote (+1) 1

On 4/23/2020 at 10:21 AM, PurpleDawg said:

Mrs. Turk and I just binged that.  Mrs. Turk loved it.  I’m not a mother, so me? Not as much as she did.  Great acting, though.

We’re bingeing “Fleabag” right now.  We’re just getting into Season 2 and it’s extraordinary.

Also, everyone owes it to themselves to watch “Dead to Me” on Netflix.  Season 2 drops this Friday.  Black comedy starring Christina Applegate as a recent widow who meets cute-as-a-button Linda Cardellini at a grief support group.  The first of many, many plot twists drops at the end of episode 1, then buckle up and hang on.  

You’re welcome.  (Y’all are welcome?)

There's a pretty good series on Netflix about the Medici family. Good actors and the story hits the highlights of Cosimo's and Lorenzo the Magnificent's life. Dustin Hoffmann and Richard Madden (Robb Stark/GOT) are in the first season and Sean Bean (💜) plays a bad guy in the second season. Alessandra Mastronardi and Brian Cox also have parts. They play with the dates of some events a bit, but it may get you to check out the family further, as it did me. It's only three seasons of eight episodes, so easily bingeable. First season is called Medici: Masters of Florence. Seasons 2&3 are Medici: The Magnificent.

18 hours ago, Newbomb Turk said:

Mrs. Turk and I just binged that.  Mrs. Turk loved it.  I’m not a mother, so me? Not as much as she did.  Great acting, though.

One of those shows where all the characters are pretty awful people ...

We’re bingeing “Fleabag” right now.  We’re just getting into Season 2 and it’s extraordinary.

Season 2 of Fleabag is fantastic.  Before I watched it, I heard a critic on NPR call the one episode where the hot priest is tempted (dont think I'm spoilering anything by saying that) was the best episode of television hed ever seen.  I think he was overreacting some, but only a little ...

Also, everyone owes it to themselves to watch “Dead to Me” on Netflix.  Season 2 drops this Friday.  Black comedy starring Christina Applegate as a recent widow who meets cute-as-a-button Linda Cardellini at a grief support group.  The first of many, many plot twists drops at the end of episode 1, then buckle up and hang on.  

You’re welcome.  (Y’all are welcome?)

Concur.

Anyone else finished Season 2 of Dead to Me yet?

2 hours ago, Friskyfrog said:

Anyone else finished Season 2 of Dead to Me yet?

We’re currently about four episodes in.  Watchable, but so far, not as good as Season 1.

12 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

We’re currently about four episodes in.  Watchable, but so far, not as good as Season 1.

Keep going - there’s lesbian sex.

• Upvote (+1) 1

On 5/6/2020 at 5:44 PM, Duquesne Frog said:

One of those shows where all the characters are pretty awful people ...

Season 2 of Fleabag is fantastic.  Before I watched it, I heard a critic on NPR call the one episode where the hot priest is tempted (dont think I'm spoilering anything by saying that) was the best episode of television hed ever seen.  I think he was overreacting some, but only a little ...

Concur.

Season 2 of Fleabag was one of the best things I've ever seen on TV.  Some other things I"ve watched recently that were very good:  The Boys on Amazon Prime -- dark comedy, action, romance and suspense with smart social commentary; Counterpart on Amazon Prime -- a really smart sci fi spy thriller; Upload -- three episodes in and loving it.  

Totally concur with the praise for Fleabag.  If y'all liked it, Phoebe Waller-Bridge is the executive producer of the show "Run" that's on HBO right now.  

Yellowstone marathon going on right now on Paramount Network!

C7D6E7F37F3047F08D1A.jpeg

I’ve decided that Beth Dutton is at the top of my Get Out Of Jail Free list.

Not the actress, Kelly Reilly, but Beth Dutton.  Given that she’s a fictional character, Mrs. Turk is totally okay with this.

20 hours ago, Friskyfrog said:

Keep going - there’s lesbian sex.

Spoiler

Well... more like a lot of lesbian flirties and smoochies, but I’m totally on board with that, especially with Cardellini.

23 hours ago, angelosfrog said:

Counterpart on Amazon Prime -- a really smart sci fi spy thriller

Did Amazon pick up the Starz original series starring J. K. Simmons as Howard Silk and Howard Silk? If so, yes, it is great! Sadly, there are only two seasons of it, and the finale of season 2 left it wide open for all kinds of hell to break loose and the series to really shine.

Good God, I’m watching Johnny Carson.

33 minutes ago, Newbomb Turk said:

Good God, I’m watching Johnny Carson.

I knew you had excellent taste.