Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

TV Thread

On 12/10/2019 at 5:41 PM, Lyle Lanley II said:

Am I the only one watching Watchmen?

It was a slow & confusing start (I never read the comics or watched the movie), but the last 3-4 episodes have been pretty incredible.  

I just finished episode 5, it’s been really enjoyable. The tv show takes place about 35 years after the events of the book. The book basically ends with the giant squid/psychic blast in New York. With the exception of Veidt(Ozymandias), FBI Agent Banks(Silk Spectre), and Dr Manhattan, the tv show is comprised of mostly new characters. 

I've been enjoying The Mornnig Show from Apple TV. Billy Crudup is exceptional in it and other people say Steve Carrell is also good, but I've not seen anything of his from before, so I don't have much to base an opinion on.

12 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

other people say Steve Carrell is also good, but I've not seen anything of his from before, so I don't have much to base an opinion on.

Seriously?  I'd think you'd have to make a concerted effort not to have seen Steve Carrell in anything.  The Office? Early Daily Show? Anchorman? Foxcatcher? Little Miss Sunshine?

25 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Seriously?  I'd think you'd have to make a concerted effort not to have seen Steve Carrell in anything.  The Office? Early Daily Show? Anchorman? Foxcatcher? Little Miss Sunshine?

I don't enjoy comedy and I think most of his stuff is in that genre, no? At least, I know The Office is and that was so cheesy that it probably gave me a negative opinion of the actors in it. I watched one episode of it and noped right out. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Zebra Frog said:

Remind me not to make any jokes around you.

I never said I don't like to laugh. I just think what passes for comedy these days is really not funny. Give me The Pink Panther and Monty Python any day over this new stuff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

On 12/13/2019 at 6:44 PM, PurpleDawg said:

I've been enjoying The Mornnig Show from Apple TV. Billy Crudup is exceptional in it and other people say Steve Carrell is also good, but I've not seen anything of his from before, so I don't have much to base an opinion on.

Y'all, WATCH THIS SHOW! I just saw the finale of Season 1 and it was some of the best acting/storytelling I've ever seen. Very good build up to the end of the season. Even if you have to stream from a pirate site, I recommend 100%. Or, I think you can get a free trial to Apple TV, then you could binge all 10 episodes. All the actors were terrific.

Eddie Murphy SNL episode is one of the funniest I've seen un a long time.  Pulled out a lot of his old characters ... Buckwheat, gumby, Mr. Robinson ... all hilarious.  Only Velvet Jones didnt translate too well to modern day.

33 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Eddie Murphy SNL episode is one of the funniest I've seen un a long time.

10 children! Unbelievable.

Just wanted to pop on and give a rec for "The Boys" on Amazon Prime.  It's a really good show that mixes sci fi, comedy, action, suspense and subtle or maybe not so subtle socio-political commentary.  I didn't watch it when it was first released because the premise seemed weird to me and I don't really like super hero movies but I loved it.  Along with Fleabag and Better Call Saul (another one I was late to the party on), it was one of my favorites of 2019.  By the way, Season 2 of Fleabag might be the most perfect comedy/drama television show ever created.  It's far superior to Season 1 but you have to watch Season 1 to appreciate it.  The whole story, from episode 1 on just builds to create what I think is a masterpiece of television. 

• Thanks (+1) 1