Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

TV Thread

2 minutes ago, Zebra Frog said:

She is but not interested in reading that book. Next in her list is Howard Stern's new book. 

I didn't think I'd like them, either, but once I got into the first book (before the show even started) I was hooked. So much more detail and loads of story that the show left out or just portrayed incorrectly. There are five books so far in the series and the two concluding books are supposed to be finished any day now, or so the author has claimed for the past couple of years.

There is a book that isn't part of the GoT series, but is a collection of three stories with characters who are related to the ones in the GoT books and show. It takes place 90 years before the show's timeline and features Ser Duncan the Tall and his squire named Egg, whose identity is hidden until the third story. It's a good way to gently get into the style of GRRM's writing before plunging head-long into the big series. Here's the link for it. I really enjoyed these.

https://www.amazon.com/Knight-Seven-Kingdoms-Song-Fire-ebook/dp/B00S3R6HAE/ref=sr_1_1?crid=EQ28TNB1DHG4&keywords=a+knight+of+the+seven+kingdoms&qid=1558380995&s=gateway&sprefix=a+knight+of+the+seven+kingdom%2Caps%2C392&sr=8-1

Spoiler

Some people are speculating about where Drogon flew off to carrying Dany's body. He was last seen flying east. I'm thinking of the visions Dany had in the House of the Undying on the show. First was her at The Wall (check), then her in the Iron Throneroom with the ceiling broken (check). The last vision was her reunited with Drogo and her stillborn son. I'm think Drogon knows about this and has takn her back to the Dothraki Sea so her body, and maybe her spirit, can be close to Drogo.

Speaking of prophecies, it seems Cersei did not have her life choked out by a younger brother after all. Was that in Maggy the Frog's scene in the show, or only in the books?

And I was reading today about Azor Ahai, the Prince That Was Promised, and wondering if that really played in the TV story line at all. Jon Snow led the fight against the Knight King and his great darkness, but it was Arya who won that fight and did in the icy guy. I saw one thing interesting in the legend … Azor Ahai forged his sword Lightbringer by plunging it into his wife's heart.

15 minutes ago, Burner said:
  Hide contents

Some people are speculating about where Drogon flew off to carrying Dany's body. He was last seen flying east. I'm thinking of the visions Dany had in the House of the Undying on the show. First was her at The Wall (check), then her in the Iron Throneroom with the ceiling broken (check). The last vision was her reunited with Drogo and her stillborn son. I'm think Drogon knows about this and has takn her back to the Dothraki Sea so her body, and maybe her spirit, can be close to Drogo.

Speaking of prophecies, it seems Cersei did not have her life choked out by a younger brother after all. Was that in Maggy the Frog's scene in the show, or only in the books?

And I was reading today about Azor Ahai, the Prince That Was Promised, and wondering if that really played in the TV story line at all. Jon Snow led the fight against the Knight King and his great darkness, but it was Arya who won that fight and did in the icy guy. I saw one thing interesting in the legend … Azor Ahai forged his sword Lightbringer by plunging it into his wife's heart.

I think the prophecy played out, but in a more metaphorical sense. The destruction of the Iron Throne by Drogon after Jon killed Daenarys was the forging of Lightbringer.

5 hours ago, Zebra Frog said:

Next in her list is Howard Stern's new book. 

Hey now!

I’ve got it on my shelf at home, will be starting it this week. 

Spoiler

That's an interesting theory about Drogon taking Dany's body all the way back to the Dothraki Sea. At least they might be happy to have her. He could also have been taking her back to Valyria, where the Targaryens are from originally. Or, maybe he just had a tasty snack.

The portion of Maggy's prophecy about who would kill Cersei was not part of what was included in the show. Only the parts about her children and who would come to rule after her.

Similarly, D&D were equally selective about which parts of the Azor Ahai prophecy they put in the show. Jon was obviously the Prince That Was Promised, but there was nothing about Lightbringer. So many plot holes and inconsistencies that things didn't make much sense toward the end.

Another plug for the books. Read them if you haven't, Burner. They're really fascinating with detail.

51 minutes ago, frogtwang said:

That about does it. Thanks.

That was the thing that (ok, one of the things) that got me about the election...

Spoiler

Sansa just up and proclaiming that the North was not going along with the seven kingdoms anymore. Once Dorne, the Iron Islands, and the rest of them heard that, especially Yara, why didn't they also say "no thanks, we'll go our own way, too"?  Instead, they just sat there like mute dummies. Totally unbelievable within the context. And, luckily for Jon, Grey Worm had no clue that sending him to the Wall was not a punishment. Best outcome for him. I just wish there had been some dialogue with Tormund at the end, but at least the good boy finally got his pets.

At last! The brothel joke has been completed!

• Haha  (+1) 1

Well, I finally got a chance to see it last night ...

Once again, I'm left wondering why they insisted on compressing these last two seasons.  I didn't have a problem with where the show left us, with the Stark children left to pick up the pieces and attempt to carve out a new world order from the wreckage.  But the whiplash-inducing way in which they got us there ... why would you skip over the arrest of Jon?  How the phuc did that happen?  If it was Greyworm that found him, someone would have died.  Is sending him to the Wall really going to pacify the Dothraki and the Unsullied?  After sacrificing so much to conquer Westeros, they just up and decide to sail back to Essos? 

And like PD mentioned, the minute Sansa declares independence for Winterfell, you think Yara is going to be okay with submitting the Iron Islands?  To Sansa's brother?

And Drogon has the moral sentience to melt the Iron Throne as a signal to the dumb humans that their sociopathic thirst for power is self-defeating?  Where was that moral compass when he was flambéing the inhabitants of Kings Landing?  And he's okay with Jon assassinating his "mother" even if Jon is a Targaryen?

The only way Jon's...

arrest could have been shown is if his contractually exclusive season 8 dialogue could have fit the scene: "Ah dun wan tit." "Ur/she's muh kwen." "Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!" (<dragon scream)

15 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Well, I finally got a chance to see it last night ...

Hide contents

And Drogon has the moral sentience to melt the Iron Throne as a signal to the dumb humans that their sociopathic thirst for power is self-defeating?  Where was that moral compass when he was flambéing the inhabitants of Kings Landing?  And he's okay with Jon assassinating his "mother" even if Jon is a Targaryen?

Spoiler

Well, some maesters say dragons are more intelligent than humans. And it has seemed like dragons and Targaryens may have some kind of psychic communication, so Drogon knows Jon's motivation, and perhaps he agrees that he doesn't want to barbecue the whole world if it will not bend the knee.

Spoiler

• Like (+1) 1

Less than a month away!

171205-dark-jonas.jpg

Season 2 airs Friday, June 21.

Also, it seems that I missed this, but season 3 dropped a few weeks ago. I have some catching up to do...

sneaky-pete-season-3-24282-1.jpg

The documentary was better than season 8! Greatbeard Stark Soldier was fabulous! Head Snow Technician should have been my career path!

• Upvote (+1) 1

On 5/26/2019 at 11:58 PM, PurpleDawg said:

The documentary was better than season 8! Greatbeard Stark Soldier was fabulous! Head Snow Technician should have been my career path!

I watched it this morning, and agree! It was really entertaining. Couple of highlights, Vladimir Furdik addressing the crowds in Spain was great and David Nutter living up to his name(that dude is weird)

Would have liked to of seen more actor's final days on set. Along with behind the scenes footage of Jon and Daenarys in the throne room. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, frogtwang said:

David Nutter living up to his name(that dude is weird)

What do you mean? Just because he wanted to be Barry Manilow when he grew up? 😆 "Could It Be Magic" was about the oddest choice of music for that scene I could think of. Seriously, though, he's a little out there, but he's a great director. Sounds like he's had some terrible back trouble.

Vladimir just wanted the love that "Keeet" was getting in Spain. I think he was a little jealous. 

I've been watching The Hot Zone on National Geographic channel. Well produced, mostly true six-hour story about an almost-outbreak of ebola in 1989. I think they start rerunning it Saturday. (And it has Davos Seaworth in it.)

25 minutes ago, Burner said:

And it has Davos Seaworth in it.

That would be SER Davos, Master of Ships, if it please.

Season 8 put Kit in rehab, bless his heart. 😕

If anyone still cares, there's a really interesting podcast about GOT called "A Cast of Kings". It's been going on for the entirety of the series, but I just found it in season 8 and it's really good. Of the two people who host it, the lady is the TV critic for Vanity Fair and she is very connected to people who made the show. I don't know what the guy's credentials are, but he's good, also. I learned a lot about the motivation of some things I didn't understand and also gained more understanding of plot points and such. I recommend it if you've got a long car trip coming up or you have some time to kill. I listened to it on Castbox, but I bet you could find it elsewhere just by googling the name. 

Dark season 2 is every bit as amazing as season 1. June 27, 2020 is a long time to wait for the answers to the new questions, though.

a2nsgbk6kx531.jpg

The question isn't what time, but what world...

And damn Claudia for ruining Wöller's explanation about the eye.

The Breaking Bad movie wasn't too shabby. Far better effort and closure than the Deadwood movie.

The one (minor) rub I did have with it was that Jesse Plemons didn't slim back down to Meth Damon weight and was still the Fat Damon weight he has been at since Fargo.

• Upvote (+1) 1