Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

TV Thread

@frogtwang @SuperToad have y'all seen this? No spoilers, just the cast individually reminiscing about the show's impact on them.

• Like (+1) 1

Before we get into the final GOT season (!!!!!), does anyone have a theory or two they want to share on how it all ends or what might happen to any of the characters or within the story? This is the only thing I feel strongly about (I'll put it behind spoiler tags for @frogtwang even though it's not a spoiler).

Spoiler

I think Arya kills Cersei wearing Jamie's face. She's been talking about killing Cersei since season 1 and most recently talked about it when she met Ed Sheeran and his band in the woods in season 7. I think Jamie dies maybe in the Battle for Winterfell and Arya takes his face. Jamie (who was born after Cersei) has been speculated by some to be the valonqar, rather than Tyrion. (From the GOT Wiki: In the books, Maggy concludes: “And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.” Valonqar means “little brother” in High Valyrian, and in the books Cersei assumes it's Tyrion who will kill her (hence her intense hatred of him).

Share what y'all think is going to happen so we can come back here later and be awed by your forethought!

Solid first episode, although surprisingly short.  When they announced the first three episodes would be an hour with the last 3 between 80-90 minutes, I expected the episodes to be a FULL hour, not 50 minutes once credits and extras are pulled out.

Definitely ready for some shit to go down in the next two episodes.

As to your theory PD, I think it's probably a good one ... I've seen it in other places.  Another is that

Arya is actually the Waif because their fight scene happened in the dark and you never see who dispatched whom.  I don't like that theory very much and hope that isn't the route they take.

I'm sure that little drawing of the weapon that Arya is having Gendry make was important.  Looked like it was some sort of double weapon that comes apart to make two weapons.

1 hour ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Solid first episode, although surprisingly short.  When they announced the first three episodes would be an hour with the last 3 between 80-90 minutes, I expected the episodes to be a FULL hour, not 50 minutes once credits and extras are pulled out.

Definitely ready for some shit to go down in the next two episodes.

As to your theory PD, I think it's probably a good one ... I've seen it in other places.  Another is that

Hide contents

Arya is actually the Waif because their fight scene happened in the dark and you never see who dispatched whom.  I don't like that theory very much and hope that isn't the route they take.

I'm sure that little drawing of the weapon that Arya is having Gendry make was important.  Looked like it was some sort of double weapon that comes apart to make two weapons.

I hate that theory and there would be revolt among the legions of fans if that were to happen. As to your other...

Spoiler

Yes, I think that weapon is going to be really important. I haven't gone to any sources to see the drawing again, but I think you're right that it was two weapons in one and definitely will be made of dragon glass. Way back in the beginning of this thing, GRRM said Arya was his wife's favorite character and she was going to have an important arc, so I bet she's got some big killing to do.

I had to laugh at the dragon stuff. Big boy keeping an eye on his cousin mackin' with his mom. lol

Oh, and poor Bran! Too bad Winterfell isn't ADA compliant!  🤣

And, damn the CGI budge cuts! "I wanted those elephants." Me, too, Cersei! Instead, we get dragon joyrides.

29 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I had to laugh at the dragon stuff. Big boy keeping an eye on his cousin mackin' with his mom. lol

The extended dragon scene was the one part I could have done without, or at least less of.  It was a little too Neverending Story for me ...

• Upvote (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

The extended dragon scene was the one part I could have done without, or at least less of.  It was a little too Neverending Story for me ...

In an episode where so much else is being established, for sure. I think the Sam/Jon thing that happened could have used some of the dragon scene time.

@Duquesne Frog Info on Arya's weapon.

Spoiler

There really aren't any spoilers except for quotes from a Vanity Fair article by the weapons maker for the show. The pictures in the link are stills from the Season 8 promo video. I think it's a staff-like thing like what she and the Waif fought with often in Braavos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/bdfg3y/spoilers_production_aryas_new_weapon/

32 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

OMGOSH!!! All kinds of fantastic fan service goodness tonight on GOT. @frogtwang it's awesome!!!

tenor.gif

You’ve already seen it?

1 hour ago, frogtwang said:

You’ve already seen it?

read spoilers of some people who saw a leaked copy of it from Germany. Sounds awesome!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Last night's episode was almost fan fiction, giving the viewers a last view of their favorite characters interacting before most of them are killed next week.  Still a bit shocked that they spent 1/3 of this last season just setting up and tying loose ends.

Did Gendry consent to sex with Arya?  I feel like that was a bit of a reverse #MeToo moment

34 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Last night's episode was almost fan fiction, giving the viewers a last view of their favorite characters interacting before most of them are killed next week.  Still a bit shocked that they spent 1/3 of this last season just setting up and tying loose ends.

Hide contents

Did Gendry consent to sex with Arya?  I feel like that was a bit of a reverse #MeToo moment

But the Brienne...

Spoiler

....and Jaime knighting scene was the BEST FAN FICTION EVER!!! Gwen Christie was brilliant there without saying anything. And Tormund's story of a suckling a giant's wife for three months was too much! He and Jaime were each trying in their own way to one up the other for Brienne. And we finally saw GHOST, if only for three seconds.

As to Arya, that whole thing was uncomfortable, however I do think Gendry was totally into it. I saw someone post a screen shot of a google analytic of how the search for Maisie's/Arya's age skyrocketed after the episode. She's 22 now and was supposed to be 18 as Arya when that scene happened. It was still jarring to see a kid we started watching when she looked like she was eight get naked and do the nasty because she still looks like she's underage. Plus, those actors have no chemistry with each other.

What do you think about the battle next week? What does the Night King do? Who dies from the Winterfell group? There's a theory floating around that.... LOOK AWAY NOW FROGTWANG

Spoiler

The NK isn't even at WF but goes directly to King's Landing to sack the city and leaves his lieutenants to destroy WF because he knows he can't win there with just one dragon.

I think the most deadly place to be is going to be the crypts in WF. They told us five or six times last night how safe they are. Either all the Stark ancestors are going to rise from the dead and start killing or that little girl with greyscale who Davos and Gilly coaxed into "protecting" everyone down there will turn into a wight.

Re: Arya ...

I'm not sure why we're making such a big deal about Arya's age now, given the baseline standards of morality set in this world created in GRRM's brain but largely based on the morality of the middle ages.  Sansa had to be significantly younger than Arya is now when she and Ramsay were "married" ... the actresses are only a year apart, I'm not sure how far apart the characters are supposed to be.  Dany probably wasn't much older when Drogo consummated their marriage with rape.  The important thing wasn't her age but the fact that Arya had agency that few other younger women in the show ever got.

I like that NK theory ...

although it doesn't jibe with the notion that he is obsessed with getting to the Three-Eyed Raven.  Maybe that should have been their plan, send Bran to KL rather than to the weirwood tree in the courtyard ...

About Arya...

Spoiler

For me, it's just the fact, as I said, we've watched her grow up and now we're watching her first-time sex. It was uncomfortable for many, is all. I think the show runners took that into account, too, by showing just side boob and a little butt crack. Her tiny stature makes her still look underage and by current standards, it's icky. However, you're right about the middle ages. She'd have three babies by now back then. Another point about Gendry being into it. Go back and have a look at the boner in his pants. I'd say that was a good indication.

This is hilarious. Not really a spoiler, but as it has footage from the most recent episode I stuck it behind the tag...

• Haha  (+1) 1

I've mentioned before, but on Reddit the sub r/FreeFolk has, hands down, the absolute best memes and funny stuff about any episode. It's full of irreverent humor, but also has a few serious posts, as well. But fair warning, you can get spoiled by post titles sometimes, but not often. I think it's totally worth it, but YMMV. Their motto there is "We Do Not Kneel" and they have a healthy disdain for the serious GOT subs. Just looking at the funny gifs and pictures (stuff like Twang and I posted above) is what I go there for. There are some seriously talented folks who are GOT fans.