Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

TV Thread

On 4/27/2018 at 1:15 PM, Duquesne Frog said:

Watched the first two episodes last night.  This season looks to be even more dystopic than last season.  Holy hell ...

"We've been sent good weather. We've been sent good weather. We've been sent good weather. We've been sent..."

For anyone who is watching season 2 of The Handmaid's Tale, be forewarned: next week's episode, #10 "The Last Ceremony" will have a trigger warning and it's for sexual violence. I've seen a leaked video of the scene and it is very, very bad. If you or someone you care about would have a problem with violent rape, best be careful. It's not exploitative, but it's still hard to watch.

If you've got Hulu, you might try Harlots. As one of the actresses said, they pitched it to her as "The Sopranos from a whore's point of view", and it's not a bad description of the show. Season 2 starts July 11. Liv Tyler joins the cast this season. One of the daughters from Downton Abbey, Jessica Brown-Finley, is also in it. Good cast, very interesting plot. The basis of part of the story is the competition between two brothels, one is decidedly up-scale with aristocracy and the like as its clientele, while the other caters to a more regular kind of guy and sees politicians and businessmen. Set in Georgian England.

If you haven't seen the Hannah Gadsby special on Netflix, you should.  I kept seeing all these reviews about how transformative it was, talking about it in such ridiculously effusive terms.  So the Missus and I watched it last night and it is an amazing performance.  It starts off generically enough, bits and light self-deprecating jokes.  And then it turns into this epic deconstruction of comedy and gender roles and sexuality.  It becomes powerfully confessional and angry and sad. 

At the very least, if you are a regular ol' white male like me, you should come out of it with a much greater appreciation of what it is like on the fringes of society.  It is uncomfortable and provocative and deserves the effusive praise it has been getting ...

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:29 PM, PurpleDawg said:

For anyone who is watching season 2 of The Handmaid's Tale, be forewarned: next week's episode, #10 "The Last Ceremony" will have a trigger warning and it's for sexual violence. I've seen a leaked video of the scene and it is very, very bad. If you or someone you care about would have a problem with violent rape, best be careful. It's not exploitative, but it's still hard to watch.

Caught up now, although I ended up sleeping through the finale while Mrs. Duq was watching.  The scene you reference is gawd-awful to watch.  I have to admit, I didn't know that was supposed to trigger labor ...

4 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Caught up now, although I ended up sleeping through the finale while Mrs. Duq was watching.  The scene you reference is gawd-awful to watch.  I have to admit, I didn't know that was supposed to trigger labor ...

It's the semen that does it. There's a school of thought that encourages overdue ladies to have gentle sex. Here's a little explanation...

First, semen is a natural source of prostaglandins, which are used in synthetic form to encourage cervical ripening in preparation for labour. Second, sex plus or minus orgasm has been found to increase uterine activity, and nipple stimulation is also thought to stimulate the uterus to induce labour.

http://theconversation.com/mondays-medical-myth-sex-induces-labour-11098

Did Mrs. D tell you about the end of the show? Very controversial among the reddit community I subscribe to.

4 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

It's the semen that does it. There's a school of thought that encourages overdue ladies to have gentle sex. Here's a little explanation...

First, semen is a natural source of prostaglandins, which are used in synthetic form to encourage cervical ripening in preparation for labour. Second, sex plus or minus orgasm has been found to increase uterine activity, and nipple stimulation is also thought to stimulate the uterus to induce labour.

http://theconversation.com/mondays-medical-myth-sex-induces-labour-11098

Did Mrs. D tell you about the end of the show? Very controversial among the reddit community I subscribe to.

I wouldn't describe that as "gentle" ...

I read a summary of it online including some of the viewer complaints.  Writers of cult-favorite TV shows are damned if they do or don't in the social-media age ...

6 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I wouldn't describe that as "gentle" ...

I read a summary of it online including some of the viewer complaints.  Writers of cult-favorite TV shows are damned if they do or don't in the social-media age ...

Yeah, not gentle. Fred really got off on it, too, and Serena noticed.

People are crazy if they think a show called The Handmaid's Tale is going to end the second season of at least four any other way than they did. Not effective story telling if the main character is removed. I did like the choice of music for the final close-up of her. Burning Down The House sets up next season pretty well, I hope.

14 hours ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Maybe Im a prude, but should a commercial for an HIV treatment/prevention drug be shown during the 1st Harry Potter movie?

Could maybe start a conversation for the right age, if the child asks?

I stumbled upon a great five part adaptation of the semi-autobiographical Patrick Melrose novels of Edward St Aubyn, even before all the Emmy nominations it got. Wow! Benedict Cumberbatch is phenomenal in it! Especially so in the first episode. The LA Times calls it a "pitch-black dramedy" and they are dead on. It deals with very dark subjects, child sexual abuse and drug addiction. The cast is incredible, both the English and Americans. It's on Showtime.  Highly recommended.

3 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Could maybe start a conversation for the right age, if the child asks?

Drug companies arent trying to start conversations.  Theyre trying to sell drugs.  Saw the exact same commercial during Dateline NBC.  Those shows dont share the same target demographic.  Maybe next theyll sell Trojans during The Incredibles.

2 hours ago, Radio Shack Killa said:

Drug companies arent trying to start conversations.

Of course not, but I meant you and your child could talk about the topic, if she asks. I would hope parents wouldn't leave it only to a drug company for kids to learn about AIDS. I know you wouldn't.

On 7/13/2018 at 3:46 PM, PurpleDawg said:

Yeah, not gentle. Fred really got off on it, too, and Serena noticed.

People are crazy if they think a show called The Handmaid's Tale is going to end the second season of at least four any other way than they did. Not effective story telling if the main character is removed. I did like the choice of music for the final close-up of her. Burning Down The House sets up next season pretty well, I hope.

For my part, if I wanted to get hit over the head repeatedly, I would stand under a very tall waterfall or play football again. 

I felt the same way about The West Wing and never watched it either. 

Some real world pains probably do not really merit fictional repetition. At least not for me.

Did you read the book, @NewfoundlandFreeFrog? The series was faithful to the story in the first season, but finished where the book did with the finale. Season two has continued life in Gilead after that, with Margaret Atwood contributing as a writer. It's been a very well done show so far. You might try it if you haven't seen it. Your daughter might find it very interesting, being a young woman with a (hopefully healthy) uterus.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:53 PM, Radio Shack Killa said:

Maybe Im a prude, but should a commercial for an HIV treatment/prevention drug be shown during the 1st Harry Potter movie?

If it's the ad I've seen, probably not. Nothing wrong with the ad itself, but I wouldn't want to have to explain it to my kids.