Sign in to follow this  
DirtyThirdFrog

Chicago: Coldest 4 months on record

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/04/01/its-official-chicago-experienced-the-coldest-four-months-ever/

The average temperature for December 2013 to March 2014 period in  Chicago was only 22.0°F, 10 degrees below freezing, beating the old record set in the winter of 1903-04. It even beat the harsh winters of 1977/78 which were some of the worst ever.

Wait wait. Let me guess... This is because of Global Warming. Right???

Alright, now queue the liberals with some global warming "facts" that makes no sense to anyone.

Hey GFW, you thawed out yet?

GLOBAL warming.

Chicago's big, but not that big.

While Chicago was having record cold, Australia had record heat.  And I;m pretty sure Australia's bigger.

GLOBAL warming.

While Chicago was having record cold, Australia had record heat.  And I;m pretty sure Australia's bigger.

Well I heard that Australia had record heat because of a GLOBAL cooling.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/04/01/its-official-chicago-experienced-the-coldest-four-months-ever/

Wait wait. Let me guess... This is because of Global Warming. Right???

Alright, now queue the liberals with some global warming "facts" that makes no sense to anyone.

Hey GFW, you thawed out yet?

> Earth <- 196939900

> Chicago <- 234

> Chicago_metro <- 10874

> Chicago_pct <- (Chicago/Earth)*100

> Chicago_metro_pct <- (Chicago_metro/Earth)*100

> Chicago_pct

[1] 0.000118818%

> Chicago_metro_pct

[1] 0.005521481%

Yeah, ok.....

I still can't believe that people buy into this global warming nonsense... I'm sure people say that about about its detractors as well, but global temperatures have been fluctuating for thousands of years (or millions of years depending on what you think). 

Its NOT the end of the world. The Polar bears will survive (and if they don't, oh well). 

GLOBAL warming.

Climate change...

Climate change...

You take that back you Dirty Capitalist!!!

We must not worry about fiscal policy and debt. But we MUST WORRY ABOUT THE CLIMATE AND THE HOMOS.

> Earth <- 196939900

> Chicago <- 234

> Chicago_metro <- 10874

> Chicago_pct <- (Chicago/Earth)*100

> Chicago_metro_pct <- (Chicago_metro/Earth)*100

> Chicago_pct

[1] 0.000118818%

> Chicago_metro_pct

[1] 0.005521481%

Well played

You take that back you Dirty Capitalist!!!

We must not worry about fiscal policy and debt. But we MUST WORRY ABOUT THE CLIMATE AND THE HOMOS.

Gay marriage = global warming...for proof just look at South Beach, Florida...it's hot there...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Dec-Mar in Svalbard (78N) where there was no sun at all until Feb 15. 16 degrees C warmer = 29 degrees F warmer. (29 is nearly 3 times 10.)

Of course you'll never see this in WUWT just like they quit talking about ice extent a bit ago when it got very inconvenient.

Basically as the cold air was blasting down the continent, it forced warm southern Atlantic air up through the mid-Atlantic and a bit to the west.

Svalbard.png

(Deleted portion of year is also above normals--I'm not WUWT.)

Dec-Mar in Svalbard (78N) where there was no sun at all until Feb 15. 16 degrees C warmer = 29 degrees F warmer.

Of course you'll never see this in WUWT just like they quit talking about ice extent a bit ago when it got very inconvenient.

Basically as the cold air was blasting down the continent, it forced warm southern Atlantic air up through the mid-Atlantic and a bit to the west.

Svalbard.png

(Deleted portion of year is also above normals--I'm not WUWT.)

See! GLOBAL WARMING

So we dismiss that Chicago, and the rest of the entire country was freezing its balls off all winter. But because Australia had a really hot Summer and some random island had a warmer than normal Winter, that global warming is a real threat?

See! GLOBAL WARMING

For my part I'd call it global winding. Being on the transition zone between ultracold and incredibly warm all winter caused gigantic winds here. Only hit about 45mph last night. Downright spooky quiet.

See! GLOBAL WARMING

So we dismiss that Chicago, and the rest of the entire country was freezing its balls off all winter. But because Australia had a really hot Summer and some random island had a warmer than normal Winter, that global warming is a real threat?

Global warming is a real threat. Not to me. Probably for my kids. Definitely for my grandkids.

See the IPCC consequences report that came out yesterday. Or buy some beachfront property and plan to give it away to your grandkids.

Global warming is a real threat. Not to me. Probably for my kids. Definitely for my grandkids.

See the IPCC consequences report that came out yesterday. Or buy some beachfront property and plan to give it away to your grandkids.

The IPCC also ignored the positives associated with global warming.

That's like reading the benefits of corn consumption published by the Corn Farmers of America... might be a tadddddddd biased.

That's like reading the benefits of corn consumption published by the Corn Farmers of America... might be a tadddddddd biased.

Corn is evil...

The IPCC also ignored the positives associated with global warming.

Who told you that? If it's Forbes or the WSJ, consider their track record for accurate reporting on climate issues. It is not at all good.

Anyway, whoever told you this is wrong. If you read the report, they report distinct positives over the short term. The problem is that our crops are grown so close to the edge of their heat tolerances, they can stand very little in the way of temp increases even if there are some positives with respect to other variables.

Who told you that? If it's Forbes or the WSJ, consider their track record for accurate reporting on climate issues. It is not at all good.

Anyway, whoever told you this is wrong. If you read the report, they report distinct positives over the short term. The problem is that our crops are grown so close to the edge of their heat tolerances, they can stand very little in the way of temp increases even if there are some positives with respect to other variables.

I believe the comments were from what I would term a "moderate" economist.  I'd have to find them, but the comments were sypathetic and reasonable.

Well I heard that Australia had record heat because of a GLOBAL cooling.

Politics aside (I realize this is a forlorn hope on this subject though I can't understand why), it has seemed for some time that what we have is not just global warming or cooling, but that we are entering a period of climate extremes, colder than usual, hotter than usual, dryer than usual, or more flooded than usual.

Politics aside (I realize this is a forlorn hope on this subject though I can't understand why), it has seemed for some time that what we have is not just global warming or cooling, but that we are entering a period of climate extremes, colder than usual, hotter than usual, dryer than usual, or more flooded than usual.

No doubt it seems that way.

When you turn up the heat on your lava lamp (slightly) or as you watch it warm up, what happens?  Of course when you turn it up a lot very bad things happen.

And of course an ex-antique dealer MUST have a lava lamp.

As for extremes, the basic, gross summary statement of the science is that as you put more energy in the system several things happen.

--One, you increase circulation at the equator. This in turn causes the global desert belt to widen--i.e., spread poleward.

--Two, you put more water into the air on a global basis. This is a positive feedback as water vapor is a strong greenhouse has. As well, more water in the air leads to more latent heat in the system. This comes out as more extreme precipitation events in particular.

--The summary of one and two with respect to what you were mentioning is that dry areas get drier and wet areas get wetter on average.

These effects are independent of party affiliation.

So, our cars are causing more rain and more sand?

Well they are killing the polar bears and bald eagles. So indirectly. Yes.

When you turn up the heat on your lava lamp (slightly) or as you watch it warm up, what happens?  Of course when you turn it up a lot very bad things happen.

And of course an ex-antique dealer MUST have a lava lamp.

As for extremes, the basic, gross summary statement of the science is that as you put more energy in the system several things happen.

--One, you increase circulation at the equator. This in turn causes the global desert belt to widen--i.e., spread poleward.

--Two, you put more water into the air on a global basis. This is a positive feedback as water vapor is a strong greenhouse has. As well, more water in the air leads to more latent heat in the system. This comes out as more extreme precipitation events in particular.

--The summary of one and two with respect to what you were mentioning is that dry areas get drier and wet areas get wetter on average.

Surely not. The parties must be responsible.

Let's round up the Usual Suspects.  Big Bad Business, Industry and Growth. 

This is a really, really false dichotomy. But it is convenient for some: Simple slogan that covers over any examination of reality.

Business, Industry, and Growth are NOT dependent on any single product or class of products. If there were no oil on Earth, if there were no iron and only copper and titanium, if the seas were limited instead of huge, business, industry and growth could/would still occur if people worked at it.