Sign in to follow this  
Endless Purple

Caution for those that visit the other site (computer issue)

I stopped at KF to read and my screen went full screen with warnings that I had a trojan virus.  Listed as from microsoft anti-virus.  I don't use a Microsoft anti-virus so some ad or something will pop up trying to get you to click a link or something.  I imagine at that point something unhealthy for your computer will happen.

Be sure if you get that, don't click on anything, just exit the program if you can.  I had to alt-ctrl-del to get explorer to quit otherwise it disabled my other clicks.

Has not happened on other sites, so I assume it is theirs, probably something through their ads company.

I got banned from there. I didn't talk bad about our student athletes. I talked bad about the people who were talking bad about our student athletes. The bad talkers are still there.

Yup. Bitter:)

• Upvote (+1) 1

I got banned from there. I didn't talk bad about our student athletes. I talked bad about the people who were talking bad about our student athletes. The bad talkers are still there.

Yup. Bitter:)

That's why we're here. Actually, I didn't get banned as far as I know, but I haven't logged on there since the day this site went online.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Thanks for the heads up, EP. Glad you were able to get out without damage and back here to safety.

I stopped at KF to read and my screen went full screen with warnings that I had a trojan virus.  Listed as from microsoft anti-virus.  I don't use a Microsoft anti-virus so some ad or something will pop up trying to get you to click a link or something.  I imagine at that point something unhealthy for your computer will happen.

Be sure if you get that, don't click on anything, just exit the program if you can.  I had to alt-ctrl-del to get explorer to quit otherwise it disabled my other clicks.

Has not happened on other sites, so I assume it is theirs, probably something through their ads company.

scanned it with mccaffee and found nothing in the basic source involved with connecting. but I may not have gotten to the ad you're talking about in the 30 secs I was there as a guest.

Thanks for checking NFF.  The ads are things I hate on most websites - eitjer too fake or too annoying with flyovers on my screen.  Plus I find it amazing how many somewhat reputable sites run such fake ads thinking they are worthwhile.  Way too many "mom knows secret doctors don't want you to know" "If you live in Texas, never buy car insurance again with this loophole", etc.  All crooked.

Hopefully that ad won't be popping up through the advertisers system again soon.

EP, not sure what browser you use, but I avoid the ads by using Google Chrom with a free add on called Ad Blocker. The guy who invented it deserves whatever money users will give him, but it completely destroys annoying pop up ads. I highly recommend it. And, Chrome is just a better product all the way around than IE. Try this combo. You'll like it!

Ad blocker is pretty cool, PD. I stopped going over to the fighting virus guys when I started coming over to here. Environment and people are a lot better over here. Never got banned, I did it by choice.

• Upvote (+1) 3

That's why we're here. Actually, I didn't get banned as far as I know, but I haven't logged on there since the day this site went online.

Yes sir. I actually took about 4 months off that site but went back & read some recruiting stuff & then read the reaction to DF burglary. I made the mistake of getting riled up & posted a few days ago when I got pissed about everyone speculating about DF. It was all really uncalled for and I don't agree with throwing a 20 year old under the bus. I may or may not have used a word that rhymes with plumbspit.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Ad blocker is pretty cool, PD. I stopped going over to the fighting virus guys when I started coming over to here. Environment and people are a lot better over here. Never got banned, I did it by choice.

We are happy to have you here, BIOF, and all other refugees. 

EP, not sure what browser you use, but I avoid the ads by using Google Chrom with a free add on called Ad Blocker. The guy who invented it deserves whatever money users will give him, but it completely destroys annoying pop up ads. I highly recommend it. And, Chrome is just a better product all the way around than IE. Try this combo. You'll like it!

Also, if you're looking for good Chrome Extensions, get Honey. One of the best ones out there.

Also, if you're looking for good Chrome Extensions, get Honey. One of the best ones out there.

What does it do?

I don't have problems with pop-ups, but certain malicious ads can comandeer the main browser and cause it to be nonresponsive until you click on certain areas.  Haven't tried chrome, but I simply do not trust google.  It is bad enough I go through their search engine for things, but to also control the browser means they will have tracking info on all search engines I go through.  While my searches and websites are not scandalous, there is way too much info being collected on everyone but these companies.  It makes the NSA look tame.

I don't have problems with pop-ups, but certain malicious ads can comandeer the main browser and cause it to be nonresponsive until you click on certain areas.  Haven't tried chrome, but I simply do not trust google.  It is bad enough I go through their search engine for things, but to also control the browser means they will have tracking info on all search engines I go through.  While my searches and websites are not scandalous, there is way too much info being collected on everyone but these companies.  It makes the NSA look tame.

One of the reasons I use DuckDuckGo.com as my search engine. It's a great general purpose search engine, does not track users, does not collect personal information (hence, I stay private) and it doesn't leave cookie crumbs scattered about.

I avoid ads by using The Frog Horn.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Google is the evil freakin' empire.  I avoid it as well.

Just by way of information, I had encountered that "Security Message" a couple of days before encountering it on the KF site at a newspaper website.  It takes over the browser and attempts to make you download some program under the guise of cleaning malware off the computer.  You have to navigate away from the webpage to get anything to work. Couldn't find much about the file it attempts to make you download.  I did run a full scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware after the first encounter and didn't appear to have any issues from it.  That is a great program (and free) to clean your computer if something ever gets by your anti-virus. 

What does it do?

Essentially, whenever you make a purchase online, it tries a bunch of coupon codes and uses the best one that works. Saves you a good bit of money.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I always feel like,

Somebodys watching me,

And i have no privacy.

I thought you said you liked it when I watched...