Sign in to follow this  
PurpleDawg

Aledo/Wichita Falls 4A D2 Quarterfinal Game

Aledo wins! They move on to the Semifinals and will play Ennis on Saturday, Dec. 14.

Yes, I'd rather be in county, not in either city. I'd really like Annetta South.

Strangely enough, one of advantages to south side is lack of public water. Going forward the whole area is 2 acre minimum to be able to drill a well. It should limit development (or make developments more expensive).

We will have to give y'all some boarding biz when u get up and runnin...

Did it say where?

They were talking about somewhere close to Waxahachie, but I didn't hear exactly where. I'll keep an eye out and post it here. Sorry! It'll be a 3:30 ko.

Strangely enough, one of advantages to south side is lack of public water. Going forward the whole area is 2 acre minimum to be able to drill a well. It should limit development (or make developments more expensive).

We will have to give y'all some boarding biz when u get up and runnin...

I'll be happy to take good care of your doggies! For now, I've put an ad in the Aledo paper to advertise pet and livestock care until I get the boarding going. I've been bored just sitting around waiting for something else to happen.

I'd like to have two acres near the Moncrief place. Those developments around there are crazy expensive for just those little lots.

I don't follow high school football. Is any team supposed to give aledo a run for their money? Ennis next week? Or who are they supposed to play after that?

Only way to good a good game IMO is to have aledo play Desoto. Would be a very good ballgame.

Ennis might be more of an opponent than anyone else they've played thus far this season, but they won't be a match for Aledo. The Aledo kids have parents who spend lots of money in the offseason to keep their boys in football condition. Plus, you know Aledo is an historically excellent district, both academically and athletically. After the Ennis game, it will be the winner of the Brenham/Calhoun (Port Lavaca) game, also played next Saturday, for the state championship. Aledo is the only team in the playoffs that's been blowing out their competition during the season, but those high scores are because they've been playing such desperately bad teams. Although, tonight's score was pretty lop-sided and Wichita Falls should have done much better than they did. 

Here's the bracket with clickable links for the teams. You can read for yourself how Brenham and Calhoun stack up against the Bearcats. I don't think they have a chance, personally.

I have had a tough time deciding whether to root for or against aledo. Although I really do stay neutral because I don't care. I find it pretty cool that these are for the most part good, smart, clean cut kids. They put a lot of heart and effort into football unlike FW which doesn't give a crap.

However, like you say it's the best team money can buy and the bright orange all over Ranch house road annoys the piss out of me:). I also hear RUMORs that there's some shady stuff going on with payments etc like with any good program. All rumors I'm sure from sour grape teams & parents. Of course if there are any future frogs on the team i could root for the bearcats. Your thought dawg?

Has much more to do with very dedicated athletes and work ethic. The summer conditioning program (performance course) doesn't cost a lot but they are expected to do it. All three of my kids have done it. They start young and are pretty much expected to participate and they have a very high rate. I've heard recruiting rumors but most of that is laughable. I'm here bc of the schools like most people. They are better academically and athletically better than most on west side of metroplex. A lot of people move to give their kids the best opportunity.

District was weak but we pummeled a good stephe vile team and a very good highland park team who was 12-1 and playing in state quarters tonight in big 4a. Think that score was 44-3. Anyone know if they won tonight?

I'm hearing the Aledo/Ennis game will be at 3:30 Saturday at Midlothian.  Makes sense.  As for the other commentary in this thread, I have a rather fairly defined perspective having been substantially involved with the youth (Brazos Valley) and high school football programs, a prominent area select baseball program as well as being on City Council for Aledo (and Eco Dev Council).  However, I've found that perspectives on matters such as these are not necessarily profitable for discussion on message boards.

I'd still like to hear your abridged thoughts, Ozy. I think we can discuss politely here. But, if you aren't comfortable, I understand.

I have no inside knowledge of shady stuff or anything else, really, Parker. I'm truly just an interested outsider. I think it's possible we've got some potential recruits from Aledo, sure. What I like about the football team here is how it unites the community. I love seeing all the Bearcat stuff around town. One of the first things I did when I got back to town was go to a home football game. And, it's not just the athletic teams that unite us. The town is really identified closely with the school district as a whole. Like bleed said above, most people are here for their kids.

I didn't mean to insinuate the parents were bribing coaches or in any way being shady about getting or keeping their kids in football. I meant they make sure the boys can go to camps and train during the offseason to improve their performance.

I'd still like to hear your abridged thoughts, Ozy. I think we can discuss politely here. But, if you aren't comfortable, I understand.

I have no inside knowledge of shady stuff or anything else, really, Parker. I'm truly just an interested outsider. I think it's possible we've got some potential recruits from Aledo, sure. What I like about the football team here is how it unites the community. I love seeing all the Bearcat stuff around town. One of the first things I did when I got back to town was go to a home football game. And, it's not just the athletic teams that unite us. The town is really identified closely with the school district as a whole. Like bleed said above, most people are here for their kids.

I didn't mean to insinuate the parents were bribing coaches or in any way being shady about getting or keeping their kids in football. I meant they make sure the boys can go to camps and train during the offseason to improve their performance.

Funny, I thought he was referring to the relationship with willow park rather than the other stuff. Wp doesn't have a rosy relationship with any of the area cities but they and Hudson control the interstate. Whatever the case, Aledo is the identifying name for the area but is actually a tiny community with maybe 2.5 to 3 total square miles of area.

Just curious, what prominent select baseball team is located in Aledo?

The Aledo/Ennis game is Saturday, December 14, at 3:30 at the Midlothian Multipurpose Sports Complex.

Also, I discovered today the reason they played that game against Wichita Falls on Monday night even though the roads were still so bad and both school districts were closed. By UIL rule, that was the last available day to play that scheduled game or the winner would have had to be decided by coin toss. It must have had to do with unfair advantage of the delayed teams over the teams which had already played in the other quarter finals game if they waited any longer to play the Aledo/WF game. And, they weren't able to take buses to the game. The kids' parents had to get them out to Waxahachie by private car. Nothing stops Aledo football!

The Aledo/Ennis game is Saturday, December 14, at 3:30 at the Midlothian Multipurpose Sports Complex.

Also, I discovered today the reason they played that game against Wichita Falls on Monday night even though the roads were still so bad and both school districts were closed. By UIL rule, that was the last available day to play that scheduled game or the winner would have had to be decided by coin toss. It must have had to do with unfair advantage of the delayed teams over the teams which had already played in the other quarter finals game if they waited any longer to play the Aledo/WF game. And, they weren't able to take buses to the game. The kids' parents had to get them out to Waxahachie by private car. Nothing stops Aledo football!

The game was originally scheduled for friday night at northwest, then changed to thursday at springtown, then back to friday late afternoon at northwest with a backup schedule of saturday at 1 pm at springtown.  Then monday at springtown at 5 pm and quickly changed to monday at waxahachie at 6 pm.  Think WF's was colder and even more of a concern for their travel.  Assume there was a bit of concern over the coin flip.  I didn't know they traveled by private car!

The big Q - How will Aledo do against a very good Ennis team on 4 days rest/practice.  Ennis played their game on Thursday night and will play on 8 days rest/practice.  

The game was originally scheduled for friday night at northwest, then changed to thursday at springtown, then back to friday late afternoon at northwest with a backup schedule of saturday at 1 pm at springtown.  Then monday at springtown at 5 pm and quickly changed to monday at waxahachie at 6 pm.  Think WF's was colder and even more of a concern for their travel.  Assume there was a bit of concern over the coin flip.  I didn't know they traveled by private car!

The big Q - How will Aledo do against a very good Ennis team on 4 days rest/practice.  Ennis played their game on Thursday night and will play on 8 days rest/practice.  

I don't believe the Aledo team even broke a sweat, literally or figuratively, in the game against WF. It was more like a workout for them. They'll be fine against Ennis. Go Bearcats!

My thoughts on E Parker County (details left off due to declining memory and uncertainty about confidentiality of some of the negotiations and their current status):

• Consolidation can and must occur.  Home rule issues are preeminent and border protection and security are crucial issues.  This includes water and other services.  Taxing structures can be worked out but it's gonna take some dynamic leadership.
  • Aledo is the brand.  Period.  We can talk all we want about the Annetta's, WP, and HO, but the brand is and will remain Aledo.  This is almost exclusively due to the school district and the area should embrace that.
  • Helped negotiate water deal (PCUD, Tarrant, other options).  Valuations were clear on this back in 2008 and I doubt they've changed since then.  City of Aledo cast their lot correctly IMO and ironically this was confirmed by a water rights attorney from Oklahoma on a recent plane flight I took (and we know that OK and Tarrant have had their divergent views on water rights).
  • Have no idea how active the Eco Development Council is down there but it was just starting when I left and it should generate some positive returns by now if it gained traction.
  • Disagreed with the "destination" theme for Aledo.  Don't think it's positioned like that either geographically or culturally.  Should leave that to places like Canton and Granbury.
  • Was knowledgeable along with P&Z and others on Walsh and Bailey Ranches.  Haven't been back there in several years and I wonder where these projects are.  Don't know about the SW Parkway either but I've heard 1187 is getting upgraded (which for those who don't know was being requested for years and was not anticipated for another three or four IIRC).
  • Football recruitment -- not gonna claim that it's never happened because how would I know for sure?  BUT, it doesn't have to happen and likely does not.  It's like any other story when a program has success….parents finds ways to bring their kids into the program even if it means a relocation.  Saw this when I was in high school back in the late '80's down in Montgomery County -- if you had an aspiring cross country runner, you did your best to get into the McCullough (now Woodlands) HS district.  There was no need to recruit.  Program magnetism did it for you.  AND, I do know Coach Buc personally and I can tell you that he's as honorable man as I've met in the high school coaching profession.  Note:  My father was Asst Super and Super for several districts in TX (including one with 4 5A high schools down to as low as 1A) so I've met a lot of coaches in my lifetime.  My son was a Bearcat ballboy along with Buc's son, Caleb, and learned a ton about the game (some of which he's actually brought to his OK high school football program).  I would also not discount the emergence of more affordable housing that was just coming into the district when we left.  Gives options that weren't there before.
  • To this point I think only Newbomb knows this but I was Buc's PA announcer (closed down Old Bearcat after a few years announcing there and opened the new one).  I was involved in his program for almost 9 years along with the Brazos Valley Youth Football program.  My father taught me PA back at Thorne Stadium in North Houston and the Astrodome for HS playoff games.  Also have done DII announcing (football, track and field, volleyball, basketball, and one very boring soccer match).  I read with great interest the commentary on game production but I know from my multiple roles around that area that tons of people inquire about Aledo schools and their academic, co-curricular, and athletic programs.  If you live there, it's likely you field questions about this a lot.  If you were in visible leadership, it's a daily occurrence.  It's a draw.  Not saying it's better than anywhere else but it's a draw.
  • My father told me when I was moving my family back to TX from Nashville that we could live anywhere in the Metroplex we wanted but his grandchildren would attend Aledo schools if we went the public route.  This was his way of saying (back in 2000) that Aledo was growing to be the place you wanted to be if you had school-aged children.  However, I believe there's generally a life-cycle to these things.
  • Youth baseball -- The North Texas Bulldogs were based out of Aledo:  Not sure if they exist anymore but they did win a couple of sanctioned national championships, finished second at the Omaha Slumpbusters, and represented the Southwest US at one of the major sanctioning national tournaments in Orlando.  At one time they had four or five age groups playing but I suspect that things may have changed with the rise of D-Bat's and such.  They were strong in their day.

My thoughts on E Parker County (details left off due to declining memory and uncertainty about confidentiality of some of the negotiations and their current status):

• Consolidation can and must occur.  Home rule issues are preeminent and border protection and security are crucial issues.  This includes water and other services.  Taxing structures can be worked out but it's gonna take some dynamic leadership.
  • Aledo is the brand.  Period.  We can talk all we want about the Annetta's, WP, and HO, but the brand is and will remain Aledo.  This is almost exclusively due to the school district and the area should embrace that.
  • Helped negotiate water deal (PCUD, Tarrant, other options).  Valuations were clear on this back in 2008 and I doubt they've changed since then.  City of Aledo cast their lot correctly IMO and ironically this was confirmed by a water rights attorney from Oklahoma on a recent plane flight I took (and we know that OK and Tarrant have had their divergent views on water rights).
  • Have no idea how active the Eco Development Council is down there but it was just starting when I left and it should generate some positive returns by now if it gained traction.
  • Disagreed with the "destination" theme for Aledo.  Don't think it's positioned like that either geographically or culturally.  Should leave that to places like Canton and Granbury.
  • Was knowledgeable along with P&Z and others on Walsh and Bailey Ranches.  Haven't been back there in several years and I wonder where these projects are.  Don't know about the SW Parkway either but I've heard 1187 is getting upgraded (which for those who don't know was being requested for years and was not anticipated for another three or four IIRC).
  • Football recruitment -- not gonna claim that it's never happened because how would I know for sure?  BUT, it doesn't have to happen and likely does not.  It's like any other story when a program has success….parents finds ways to bring their kids into the program even if it means a relocation.  Saw this when I was in high school back in the late '80's down in Montgomery County -- if you had an aspiring cross country runner, you did your best to get into the McCullough (now Woodlands) HS district.  There was no need to recruit.  Program magnetism did it for you.  AND, I do know Coach Buc personally and I can tell you that he's as honorable man as I've met in the high school coaching profession.  Note:  My father was Asst Super and Super for several districts in TX (including one with 4 5A high schools down to as low as 1A) so I've met a lot of coaches in my lifetime.  My son was a Bearcat ballboy along with Buc's son, Caleb, and learned a ton about the game (some of which he's actually brought to his OK high school football program).  I would also not discount the emergence of more affordable housing that was just coming into the district when we left.  Gives options that weren't there before.
  • To this point I think only Newbomb knows this but I was Buc's PA announcer (closed down Old Bearcat after a few years announcing there and opened the new one).  I was involved in his program for almost 9 years along with the Brazos Valley Youth Football program.  My father taught me PA back at Thorne Stadium in North Houston and the Astrodome for HS playoff games.  Also have done DII announcing (football, track and field, volleyball, basketball, and one very boring soccer match).  I read with great interest the commentary on game production but I know from my multiple roles around that area that tons of people inquire about Aledo schools and their academic, co-curricular, and athletic programs.  If you live there, it's likely you field questions about this a lot.  If you were in visible leadership, it's a daily occurrence.  It's a draw.  Not saying it's better than anywhere else but it's a draw.
  • My father told me when I was moving my family back to TX from Nashville that we could live anywhere in the Metroplex we wanted but his grandchildren would attend Aledo schools if we went the public route.  This was his way of saying (back in 2000) that Aledo was growing to be the place you wanted to be if you had school-aged children.  However, I believe there's generally a life-cycle to these things.
  • Youth baseball -- The North Texas Bulldogs were based out of Aledo:  Not sure if they exist anymore but they did win a couple of sanctioned national championships, finished second at the Omaha Slumpbusters, and represented the Southwest US at one of the major sanctioning national tournaments in Orlando.  At one time they had four or five age groups playing but I suspect that things may have changed with the rise of D-Bat's and such.  They were strong in their day.

I assume you have moved away?  Spot on - especially 1 and 2.  Seems like a long shot but #1 really needs to happen if we want to protect values, etc.  It's amazing how the leadership in the communities cant get along.  Bulldogs are still around - think their 12's were very good last year.  1187 should be finished in 2014 and will have a "couplet" (traffic circle) in CBD area.  Walsh ranch is moving forward and has created an education foundation created by a percentage of home sales in the development (very good for schools).  It was delayed for gas exploration and the economy.  They are constructing the main thoroughfare and should begin I-30 overpass in 2014.

<p>

[*]Football recruitment -- not gonna claim that it's never happened because how would I know for sure? BUT, it doesn't have to happen and likely does not. It's like any other story when a program has success….parents finds ways to bring their kids into the program even if it means a relocation. Saw this when I was in high school back in the late '80's down in Montgomery County -- if you had an aspiring cross country runner, you did your best to get into the McCullough (now Woodlands) HS district. There was no need to recruit. Program magnetism did it for you. AND, I do know Coach Buc personally and I can tell you that he's as honorable man as I've met in the high school coaching profession. Note: My father was Asst Super and Super for several districts in TX (including one with 4 5A high schools down to as low as 1A) so I've met a lot of coaches in my lifetime. My son was a Bearcat ballboy along with Buc's son, Caleb, and learned a ton about the game (some of which he's actually brought to his OK high school football program). I would also not discount the emergence of more affordable housing that was just coming into the district when we left. Gives options that weren't there before.

I thought their recruiting Jonathan Gray was o e of those secrets that everyone knew about

I thought their recruiting Jonathan Gray was o e of those secrets that everyone knew about

They did not recruit J Gray.  Yes….he moved into Aledo.  But he was not recruited.  There's really no secret here.  I've heard some people say that he was promised playing time at Aledo on the varsity from Day One.  Nope.  Didn't happen.  Started on the freshman team…moved to the JV….and eventually on to varsity.  Buc has a long history of playing his best players regardless of classification and an even longer history of building around a stud athlete (e.g.:  Cole Loftin, Ryan Christian, among others).  Being welcomed is not the same as recruiting but I think that gets confusing to some people.

They did not recruit J Gray. Yes….he moved into Aledo. But he was not recruited. There's really no secret here. I've heard some people say that he was promised playing time at Aledo on the varsity from Day One. Nope. Didn't happen. Started on the freshman team…moved to the JV….and eventually on to varsity. Buc has a long history of playing his best players regardless of classification and an even longer history of building around a stud athlete (e.g.: Cole Loftin, Ryan Christian, among others). Being welcomed is not the same as recruiting but I think that gets confusing to some people.

had heard from several people (which is why I didn't think it was a secret) that the family received certain benefits. Who knows, who cares, really. I have no dog in that fight.

I assume you have moved away?  Spot on - especially 1 and 2.  Seems like a long shot but #1 really needs to happen if we want to protect values, etc.  It's amazing how the leadership in the communities cant get along.  Bulldogs are still around - think their 12's were very good last year.  1187 should be finished in 2014 and will have a "couplet" (traffic circle) in CBD area.  Walsh ranch is moving forward and has created an education foundation created by a percentage of home sales in the development (very good for schools).  It was delayed for gas exploration and the economy.  They are constructing the main thoroughfare and should begin I-30 overpass in 2014.

Yes.  Moved to OK in 2009.  I actually worked on a couplet concept in that area so interesting that it will happen.  Never really felt that it would.  It is not amazing to me that the community leaders can't seem to get along.  So much hubris…  Good to know about the Bulldogs.  My son plays sporadically with a couple of former Dogs on an 18U showcase team.  They played ball the right way IMO.

They did not recruit J Gray.  Yes….he moved into Aledo.  But he was not recruited.  There's really no secret here.  I've heard some people say that he was promised playing time at Aledo on the varsity from Day One.  Nope.  Didn't happen.  Started on the freshman team…moved to the JV….and eventually on to varsity.  Buc has a long history of playing his best players regardless of classification and an even longer history of building around a stud athlete (e.g.:  Cole Loftin, Ryan Christian, among others).  Being welcomed is not the same as recruiting but I think that gets confusing to some people.

I think the opposite - there was resistance moving to varsity by the parents (especially the mom).  When they moved him, he only received a very moderate amount of carries

Yes.  Moved to OK in 2009.  I actually worked on a couplet concept in that area so interesting that it will happen.  Never really felt that it would.  It is not amazing to me that the community leaders can't seem to get along.  So much hubris…  Good to know about the Bulldogs.  My son plays sporadically with a couple of former Dogs on an 18U showcase team.  They played ball the right way IMO.

You can find the couplet plans online.  They had to forfeit the railroad crossing se of downtown.  I drove by it this morning and they have the road cut down to old annetta/mav.  Looks really good.  I've avoided that intersection for 12 years when I have the choice.  It will be really nice when they complete