Sign in to follow this  
Black-it-out-Frog!

What books are you reading?

ZB-BOOK-1075_Harry-Potter-Prisoner-of-Az

I was a bit old for the Harry Potter series when it was being released, so up until very recently I'd never read any of the books nor seen any of the movies.  But then we listened to the first book during a long car trip last year and I've since finished reading #2 with my kiddo and are now a few chapters into #3.  I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy them on my own, but it's been a blast to experience it with him.

12 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

ZB-BOOK-1075_Harry-Potter-Prisoner-of-Az

I was a bit old for the Harry Potter series when it was being released, so up until very recently I'd never read any of the books nor seen any of the movies.  But then we listened to the first book during a long car trip last year and I've since finished reading #2 with my kiddo and are now a few chapters into #3.  I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy them on my own, but it's been a blast to experience it with him.

I read the series with my kids as well when it came out. Once even drove 100 miles each way to a rural Wal-Mart to buy 4 copies for children and nieces on release day as we were staying out at a remote outport with the family. There was a literal pallet of copies there!!! (I got in around 10 a.m. and the pallet was already about 1/3 down!) The town serves probably 30 or 40K people in its catchment area.

That said, I read the entire series again not long ago and still found it a fine time passer. 

Ran across an old copy of Arthur Clarke's A Fall of Moondust.  Not the greatest piece of literature ever, but it is one sci-fi story from the pre-space flight era that holds up semi-well to this day even though much of the main premise has never panned out.

20 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Ran across an old copy of Arthur Clarke's A Fall of Moondust.  Not the greatest piece of literature ever, but it is one sci-fi story from the pre-space flight era that holds up semi-well to this day even though much of the main premise has never panned out.

I remember reading that book.  They'll make a movie of it some day.

I've been near Macon, Georgia this week, so I've been reading William Tecumseh Sherman's memoirs, with emphasis on the March to the Sea.

I used Duquette's last dance competition as an opportunity to read Camus' The Stranger.  It seemed like the appropriate setting to explore my creeping existential dread ...

2 hours ago, Newbomb Turk said:

I remember reading that book.  They'll make a movie of it some day.

I've been near Macon, Georgia this week, so I've been reading William Tecumseh Sherman's memoirs, with emphasis on the March to the Sea.

Sherman thought that if there was a way to just to kill off or otherwise get rid of a couple of thousand or so of the "planter class" that would be a good idea for wining the war and for the post war era. He wasn't allowed to go that far. In retrospect he might well have had a point.

I started reading 2018’s NCAA’s Rules book in preparation for the Fall season while waiting for the guys in the glass tower to come out with 2019 changes.

• Haha  (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2