Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Black-it-out-Frog!

What books are you reading?

Recommended Posts

ZB-BOOK-1075_Harry-Potter-Prisoner-of-Az

I was a bit old for the Harry Potter series when it was being released, so up until very recently I'd never read any of the books nor seen any of the movies.  But then we listened to the first book during a long car trip last year and I've since finished reading #2 with my kiddo and are now a few chapters into #3.  I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy them on my own, but it's been a blast to experience it with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

ZB-BOOK-1075_Harry-Potter-Prisoner-of-Az

I was a bit old for the Harry Potter series when it was being released, so up until very recently I'd never read any of the books nor seen any of the movies.  But then we listened to the first book during a long car trip last year and I've since finished reading #2 with my kiddo and are now a few chapters into #3.  I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy them on my own, but it's been a blast to experience it with him.

 

I read the series with my kids as well when it came out. Once even drove 100 miles each way to a rural Wal-Mart to buy 4 copies for children and nieces on release day as we were staying out at a remote outport with the family. There was a literal pallet of copies there!!! (I got in around 10 a.m. and the pallet was already about 1/3 down!) The town serves probably 30 or 40K people in its catchment area.

 

That said, I read the entire series again not long ago and still found it a fine time passer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ran across an old copy of Arthur Clarke's A Fall of Moondust.  Not the greatest piece of literature ever, but it is one sci-fi story from the pre-space flight era that holds up semi-well to this day even though much of the main premise has never panned out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Ran across an old copy of Arthur Clarke's A Fall of Moondust.  Not the greatest piece of literature ever, but it is one sci-fi story from the pre-space flight era that holds up semi-well to this day even though much of the main premise has never panned out.

 

I remember reading that book.  They'll make a movie of it some day.

 

I've been near Macon, Georgia this week, so I've been reading William Tecumseh Sherman's memoirs, with emphasis on the March to the Sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used Duquette's last dance competition as an opportunity to read Camus' The Stranger.  It seemed like the appropriate setting to explore my creeping existential dread ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Newbomb Turk said:

 

I remember reading that book.  They'll make a movie of it some day.

 

I've been near Macon, Georgia this week, so I've been reading William Tecumseh Sherman's memoirs, with emphasis on the March to the Sea.

 

Sherman thought that if there was a way to just to kill off or otherwise get rid of a couple of thousand or so of the "planter class" that would be a good idea for wining the war and for the post war era. He wasn't allowed to go that far. In retrospect he might well have had a point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started reading 2018’s NCAA’s Rules book in preparation for the Fall season while waiting for the guys in the glass tower to come out with 2019 changes.

  • Haha  (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...