Sign in to follow this  
Black-it-out-Frog!

What books are you reading?

@NewfoundlandFreeFrog here's one for you...

51Tov1zDTGL.jpg

"... Their story ranges from small-town Newfoundland to New York City, from the harrowing ice floes of the seal hunt to the lavish drawing rooms of colonial governors, and combines erudition, comedy, and unflagging narrative brio in a manner reminiscent of John Irving and Charles Dickens. A tragicomic elegy for the "colony of unrequited dreams" that is Newfoundland, Wayne Johnston's masterful tribute to a people and a place establishes him as a novelist who is as profound as he is funny, with an impeccable sense of the intersection where private lives and history collide."  $2.99 Kindle edition (not sure when the deal ends)

https://www.amazon.com/Colony-Unrequited-Dreams-Novel-ebook/dp/B002QJZ9MC?_bbid=10252956&tag=bookbubemail18-20

Excellent reviews, from the professionals, too.

41t0BtNhd0L.jpg

The historic quest to rekindle the human exploration and colonization of space led by two rivals and their vast fortunes, egos, and visions of space as the next entrepreneurial frontier

The Space Barons is the story of a group of billionaire entrepreneurs who are pouring their fortunes into the epic resurrection of the American space program. Nearly a half-century after Neil Armstrong walked on the moon, these Space Barons-most notably Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos, along with Richard Branson and Paul Allen-are using Silicon Valley-style innovation to dramatically lower the cost of space travel, and send humans even further than NASA has gone. These entrepreneurs have founded some of the biggest brands in the world-Amazon, Microsoft, Virgin, Tesla, PayPal-and upended industry after industry. Now they are pursuing the biggest disruption of all: space.
$3.99 Kindle edition. Deal expires 8.9.18

Pulitzer Prize winner for $1.99. Today only. Kindle edition.

514WlW8DimL.jpg

“My favorite historical novel . . . a superb re-creation of the Battle of Gettysburg, but its real importance is its insight into what the war was about, and what it meant.”—James M. McPherson

In the four most bloody and courageous days of our nation’s history, two armies fought for two conflicting dreams. One dreamed of freedom, the other of a way of life. Far more than rifles and bullets were carried into battle. There were memories. There were promises. There was love. And far more than men fell on those Pennsylvania fields. Bright futures, untested innocence, and pristine beauty were also the casualties of war. Michael Shaara’s Pulitzer Prize–winning masterpiece is unique, sweeping, unforgettable—the dramatic story of the battleground for America’s destiny.

BONUS: This edition includes an excerpt from Jeff Shaara's Blaze of Glory.

57 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Pulitzer Prize winner for $1.99. Today only. Kindle edition.

514WlW8DimL.jpg

“My favorite historical novel . . . a superb re-creation of the Battle of Gettysburg, but its real importance is its insight into what the war was about, and what it meant.”—James M. McPherson

In the four most bloody and courageous days of our nation’s history, two armies fought for two conflicting dreams. One dreamed of freedom, the other of a way of life. Far more than rifles and bullets were carried into battle. There were memories. There were promises. There was love. And far more than men fell on those Pennsylvania fields. Bright futures, untested innocence, and pristine beauty were also the casualties of war. Michael Shaara’s Pulitzer Prize–winning masterpiece is unique, sweeping, unforgettable—the dramatic story of the battleground for America’s destiny.

BONUS: This edition includes an excerpt from Jeff Shaara's Blaze of Glory.

Very good read. As are his son's Civil War books using the same themes/techniques.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Another Pulitzer Prize winner on big sale. $2.99 Kindle edition. Written by the author of Alexander Hamilton, the book that launched the Broadway show. He's also got another book out about Ulysses Grant that the NYT says is one of the 10 best books of 2017. The man can write biographies.

51zuqTlFTDL.jpg

A gripping portrait of the first president of the United States from the author of Alexander Hamilton, the New York Times bestselling biography that inspired the musical.

Celebrated biographer Ron Chernow provides a richly nuanced portrait of the father of our nation and the first president of the United States. With a breadth and depth matched by no other one volume biography of George Washington, this crisply paced narrative carries the reader through his adventurous early years, his heroic exploits with the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War, his presiding over the Constitutional Convention, and his magnificent performance as America's first president. In this groundbreaking work, based on massive research, Chernow shatters forever the stereotype of George Washington as a stolid, unemotional figure and brings to vivid life a dashing, passionate man of fiery opinions and many moods.

Winner of the 2011 Pulitzer Prize for Biography

https://www.amazon.com/Washington-Life-Ron-Chernow-ebook/dp/B003ZK58SQ?_bbid=10461648&tag=bookbubemail11-20

Just now, tcudoc said:

I am a couple of chapters in on Into Thin Air, a story about the 1996 Mt Everest Disaster where multiple climbers died.  Pretty great so far.  Mountain climbing is not something I know very much about, so I am enjoying learning more about it and what drives those who make the attempt.  Lots of discussion about the commercialization of the process now.  The book was recommended to me by someone who just finished it so I bought it off of eBay.  I got the illustrated version that has a ton of pictures, which I think helps solidify the story so far.

I just bought a nice copy of Catcher in the Rye, which will likely be my next book to read.

Ilove this book!

Somebody here might enjoy this one...

51PH0fb-q0L.jpg

Molly Bloom reveals how she built one of the most exclusive, high-stakes underground poker games in the world—an insider’s story of excess and danger, glamour and greed.

In the late 2000s, Molly Bloom, a twentysomething petite brunette from Loveland Colorado, ran the highest stakes, most exclusive poker game Hollywood had ever seen—she was its mistress, its lion tamer, its agent, and its oxygen. Everyone wanted in, few were invited to play.

$1.99 on Kindle

https://www.amazon.com/Mollys-Game-26-Year-Old-High-Stakes-Underground-ebook/dp/B00DB32V4G?_bbid=11121089&tag=bookbubemail1-20

plotagainst.jpg

I picked up The Plot Against America after having read The Man in the High Castle a few years ago and being intrigued by the shared concept of an alternative history of WW2.  Whereas the latter looked at the aftermath of the war in which the Axis had prevailed, The Plot Against America looks at how things may have played out during the war were Charles Lindbergh to have run against and defeated FDR in the 1940 presidential election.

Like a lot of political fiction, I'd guess people would either love or hate this book based on how it compares to the lens through which they read it.  

1 hour ago, Lyle Lanley II said:

The Man in the High Castle

Have you seen the TV series?

I've watched part of the Man in the High Castle TV series.  I enjoyed what I saw, but it was also a major departure from the book.

Interestingly enough, The Plot Against America may be adapted for TV as well.  David Simon is reportedly set to make it into a six-part miniseries on HBO.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

This book was the selection for one book, one Nebraska this year. I haven't read it, but it chronicles a several generation family farm in York county as they navigate 21st century farming and the issues they face. The book has won several other awards. The governor each year will sign a proclamation with a ceremony acknowledging the selection. Pete Ricketts in Nebraska refused to sign this one because the author is a "political activist".  I don't think the book itself is too controversial, but the author has been critical of Ricketts (and Trump) on social media.  He also writes for Mother Jones sometimes.  

I have two minds.  One is that the Governor should be able to pick and choose what books he endorses/ proclaims/ attaches his name to.  On the other hand, I don't like the precedent that if you criticize the Governor, you might not get an award/acknowledgment or get an award stripped.  We don't want to stifle people's opinions or have a political litmus test for awards and recognitions.  

51sdwW9F3NL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Should have read this years ago: A modern (2005) history of Midway that includes extensive input from primary Japanese sources and puts a somewhat different slant on a number of issues from the classic Samuel Eliot Morison account people of my generation grew up with. Fascinating so far.

https://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/potomac/9781574889239/

9781574889239.jpg?auto=format&w=298

Lots of good suggestions on here. I’ve got a 30 hour travel day to South Africa in 2 weeks and will need some good reading. 

1 hour ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

Lots of good suggestions on here. I’ve got a 30 hour travel day to South Africa in 2 weeks and will need some good reading. 

You're gonna get drunk and sleep the whole time. You know it.

20 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

You're gonna get drunk and sleep the whole time. You know it.

I don’t sleep well on planes... but we are flying business class. So maybe. Lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

I don’t sleep well on planes... but we are flying business class. So maybe. Lol

When I flew to New Zealand for my first wedding/honeymoon, we flew business class and it was so nice! Except, I hate flying over water and was scared the whole time we'd go down and no one would ever find us. This was when it was a new thing to have the route displayed on the in-flight entertainment screen at each seat and all that was visible for the entire 12 hours was the computer animated plane flying over nothing but a blue background. It was very disconcerting.

Maybe take some melatonin when you get on the plane? Usually doesn't cause hangovers the next day.

This is a new book written by a friend of mine.  I think it is mostly fantasy.  Has gotten good reviews, though I can't fully endorse since I have only read chapter one.  The popularity seems to be picking up steam.  Check it out if you like this type of book.  It is heavy with mental health and suicide stuff since that is a big thing in his life.  He is an Emergency Med doctor as his day job.

51P-4HYJ8UL.jpg

The chaotic confines of the hospital kept Creed occupied, even as he felt something change within. The embattled physician's dreams were more frequent, and oddities were becoming the norm in an otherwise pedestrian existence. Following a tumultuous turn of events, Creed awakens in another world, one in which he slowly remembers to be his home as the past and present collide. Mürindür has been waiting, and within moments of arriving, he is rescued by his hobgoblin friend, Ojin, as they embark on a perilous journey to protect Creed's bride and their unborn son, a child of prophecy and purpose. The world of magical beasts and beings, has been broken under Lord Leterum's cruel conquests, and his insatiable army of Caedere. Through the help of his long-lost Luxatio friends, Creed discovers his destiny on the path to restoring order and balance as the Child of Mürindür's time draws nigh.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 1/22/2019 at 12:48 PM, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Should have read this years ago: A modern (2005) history of Midway that includes extensive input from primary Japanese sources and puts a somewhat different slant on a number of issues from the classic Samuel Eliot Morison account people of my generation grew up with. Fascinating so far.

https://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/potomac/9781574889239/

9781574889239.jpg?auto=format&w=298

Almost done. Anyone who thinks they know about Midway and is interested in WW2 history really ought to read this one. 

The legendary account of The Great State. On sale in Kindle format for 2.99...

51cSXCPXazL.jpg

Spanning four and a half centuries, James A. Michener’s monumental saga chronicles the epic history of Texas, from its Spanish roots in the age of the conquistadors to its current reputation as one of America’s most affluent, diverse, and provocative states. Among his finely drawn cast of characters, emotional and political alliances are made and broken, as the loyalties established over the course of each turbulent age inevitably collapse under the weight of wealth and industry. With Michener as our guide, Texas is a tale of patriotism and statesmanship, growth and development, violence and betrayal—a stunning achievement by a literary master.

BONUS: This edition includes an excerpt from James A. Michener's Hawaii.

https://www.amazon.com/Texas-Novel-James-Michener-ebook/dp/B00FO60AYG?_bbid=11536274&tag=bookbubemail20-20

I met James Michener when I was a kid - he lived next door to a friend of my brother.  I had no idea who he was at the time, but my parents were pretty star-struck.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think some of y'all like military history...

51d4iy9lwML.jpg

$1.99 Kindle (don't know when the deal expires)

https://www.amazon.com/Gone-Soldiers-Novel-Mexican-War-ebook/dp/B000FC1ICW?_bbid=11730672&tag=bookbubemail19-20

In Gone for Soldiers, Jeff Shaara carries us back 15 years before the momentous conflict he has so brilliantly chronicled, to a time when the Civil War's most familiar names are fighting for another cause, junior officers marching under the same flag in an unfamiliar land, experiencing combat for the first time in the Mexican-American War.

In March 1847, 8,000 soldiers landed on the beaches of Vera Cruz, led by the army's commanding general, Winfield Scott-a heroic veteran of the War of 1812, short tempered, vain, and nostalgic for the glories of his youth. At his right hand is Robert E. Lee, a forty year-old engineer, a dignified, serious man who has never seen combat.

In vivid prose that illuminates the dark psychology of soldiers trapped behind enemy lines, Jeff Shaara brings to life the familiar characters, the stunning triumphs and soul-crushing defeats of this fascinating, long-forgotten war.