Sign in to follow this  
SFA Frog

Celebrate Freedom!

Where is that, Montalba? Is that real? No grills and no booze? That's not America 

Where is that, Montalba? Is that real? No grills and no booze? That's not America 

I'm not sure where it is.  I just thought it should be shared. 

I logged into SSA.gov to set up an account so I can check my social security statement.  I had to go thru multiple pages asking me question so hey could verify I am indeed weklfrog (as if there are any others out there).  I had to give my name, SSN, DOB home address, primary phone (my cell number but I don't know if they would even have that number) then it asked several multiple choice questions about things about me I am supposed to know, each with a none of the above type response.  These included a car that I own, the city of my previous address, the year my house was built (I lease and do not know when it was built other than the subdivision is not that old) and several additional similar type questions. On virtually all of the questions I was asked to choose from a list although most of these questions the list did not contain the correct response so I had to choose none of the above.  After answering several pages of questions the system declared that the information I provided did not match their information so I had to wait 24 hours before I could try again.  It did not indicate where their and my opinions might have varied.  A phone number was given to call but it eventually told me that due to high call volume it could not transer me and I would have to try again later. 

On what basis should the Social Security adminstration know what cars I own or when my house was built?  What does that have to do with administering social security?  And on what basis should I believe that the information in their databses on such matters is up to date and accurate.  I provided accurate responses.  The reason it did not match the information they have is that they do not have accurate information.

I logged into SSA.gov to set up an account so I can check my social security statement.  I had to go thru multiple pages asking me question so hey could verify I am indeed weklfrog (as if there are any others out there).  I had to give my name, SSN, DOB home address, primary phone (my cell number but I don't know if they would even have that number) then it asked several multiple choice questions about things about me I am supposed to know, each with a none of the above type response.  These included a car that I own, the city of my previous address, the year my house was built (I lease and do not know when it was built other than the subdivision is not that old) and several additional similar type questions. On virtually all of the questions I was asked to choose from a list although most of these questions the list did not contain the correct response so I had to choose none of the above.  After answering several pages of questions the system declared that the information I provided did not match their information so I had to wait 24 hours before I could try again.  It did not indicate where their and my opinions might have varied.  A phone number was given to call but it eventually told me that due to high call volume it could not transer me and I would have to try again later. 

On what basis should the Social Security adminstration know what cars I own or when my house was built?  What does that have to do with administering social security?  And on what basis should I believe that the information in their databses on such matters is up to date and accurate.  I provided accurate responses.  The reason it did not match the information they have is that they do not have accurate information.

Identity theft precautions.  If someone has your SSN they can pretty much ruin you.  Having had to deal with that in my life, any barriers that are put up to reduce the risk is OK with me.

Most of those questions/answers came (most likely) from your credit reports, not necessarily from the SSA.  If the info is inaccurate you can get that fixed.

Identity theft precautions.  If someone has your SSN they can pretty much ruin you.  Having had to deal with that in my life, any barriers that are put up to reduce the risk is OK with me.

Most of those questions/answers came (most likely) from your credit reports, not necessarily from the SSA.  If the info is inaccurate you can get that fixed.

I am not sure what information is inaccurate since they didn't indicate what responses didn't match.  I suspect that some of the info they had is outdated but I have no idea which of the items is outdated, how outdated it is and where they got it from.  Hard to get info fixed if I don't know what info needs to be fixed or where to fix it.

Had the same problem trying to set up an account AFTER I WAS DRAWING SS.

Made a trip to the SSA office, and they had no explanation.

I am not sure what information is inaccurate since they didn't indicate what responses didn't match.  I suspect that some of the info they had is outdated but I have no idea which of the items is outdated, how outdated it is and where they got it from.  Hard to get info fixed if I don't know what info needs to be fixed or where to fix it.

And the SSA probably couldn't tell you either - as I said most likely its not their data, but the reporting bureaus.  Best thing to do is get a copy of your credit reports and go over them.  Probably a good thing to do anyways.

I keep telling you I'm sorry about that...I just needed a some beer money.

Seriously, though, you had your identity stolen? What happened? 

I keep telling you I'm sorry about that...I just needed a some beer money.

Seriously, though, you had your identity stolen? What happened? 

It was stupid.  I left my wallet sitting on top of my car, and I had my SS card in it.  This was back in late 2000.  Damn thing stayed on top of my car for the entire trip to the then-girlfriends apartment.  Someone picked it off the roof of my car and had some fun.  They got some money, made some purchases, tried to open some accts, somebody rented an apt using it, but little long term damage was done.  I put flags on my credit accounts quickly (which is how I know about the question wekl got - everytime I try to open a new credit acct I get those questions).  The worst thing that happened is that someone filed a tax return using my SSN and got about $1000 in a refund loan from jackson Hewitt.  Didn't cost me, but it held up my own refund for almost a year until it got straighted out.  Ultimately all it cost me was the headaches involved in straightening it all out.

It was stupid.  I left my wallet sitting on top of my car, and I had my SS card in it.  This was back in late 2000.  Damn thing stayed on top of my car for the entire trip to the then-girlfriends apartment.  Someone picked it off the roof of my car and had some fun.  They got some money, made some purchases, tried to open some accts, somebody rented an apt using it, but little long term damage was done.  I put flags on my credit accounts quickly (which is how I know about the question wekl got - everytime I try to open a new credit acct I get those questions).  The worst thing that happened is that someone filed a tax return using my SSN and got about $1000 in a refund loan from jackson Hewitt.  Didn't cost me, but it held up my own refund for almost a year until it got straighted out.  Ultimately all it cost me was the headaches involved in straightening it all out.

yikes.

Damn. That sucks 

And the SSA probably couldn't tell you either - as I said most likely its not their data, but the reporting bureaus.  Best thing to do is get a copy of your credit reports and go over them.  Probably a good thing to do anyways.

It has obviously been a while ago, but I don't recall any such hoops to jump through to get that kind of account info from SSA....have you notice any drones hovering overhead? Or maybe you have tried to get preferred tax status as a political party and the IRS is sharing information. In your case, I would offer them some meat.

It has obviously been a while ago, but I don't recall any such hoops to jump through to get that kind of account info from SSA....have you notice any drones hovering overhead? Or maybe you have tried to get preferred tax status as a political party and the IRS is sharing information. In your case, I would offer them some meat.

It's the SSA's new online service...