Sign in to follow this  
Endless Purple

Shaving

I have one or two of my grandfathers' razors, and all of them say ``Solingen"....

I would have figured "Vesuvius."

Decided to bite the bullet and shave my head today. So I figured I dust off this old thread and see if anyone has any updates or new shaving product recommendations. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

4 hours ago, frogtwang said:

Decided to bite the bullet and shave my head today. So I figured I dust off this old thread and see if anyone has any updates or new shaving product recommendations. 

Way to go, buddy.  It feels great, but I had "phantom" hair for about a year (where I kept feeling like it was out of place).

I've switched to a Dorco 7 blade, but still use the badger hair brush and the Taylor of Old Bond Street cream.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, frogtwang said:

:o

confucius-say-what-memesacom-14811681.pn

1 hour ago, $mooth said:

Way to go, buddy.  It feels great, but I had "phantom" hair for about a year (where I kept feeling like it was out of place).

I've switched to a Dorco 7 blade, but still use the badger hair brush and the Taylor of Old Bond Street cream.

I use an Astra blade on my safety razor. But I too use the Taylor of old Bond Street cream. love that stuff.

But I don't have a shaved head and I have a beard. So this is for like a once a week cheek and neck shave lol.

57 minutes ago, $mooth said:

I’ve been using a Gillette fusion for a while and have been happy with it. I switched from shaving cream in a can to shaving soap a few years ago and haven’t looked back. Currently using Col Conk Amber, it was part of a 4 variety pack. I’m using a cheapo brush, going to invest in a good one here pretty soon. 

51 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

:o

confucius-say-what-memesacom-14811681.pn

Doubt I’ll miss what little hair I had left. It was time. 

59 minutes ago, DirtyThirdFrog said:

I use an Astra blade on my safety razor. 

41 minutes ago, frogtwang said:

I’ve been using a Gillette fusion for a while and have been happy with it. I

The double edge razor gives me the closest shave of anything i've tried, but when I'm in a hurry, i'm much more likely to cut my head (and when I did, it would be bad!).  It's never given me trouble on my face, though.

I started with the Gillette fusion.  When shaving my head, the blades didn't last very long (I remember less than 2 weeks, shaving every other day).  The Dorco seems to last about a month, and are cheaper per cartridge.

BTW, if you can get comfortable shaving your head without a mirror, shaving in the shower is so much easier and less clean up after.

• Upvote (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, $mooth said:

The double edge razor gives me the closest shave of anything i've tried, but when I'm in a hurry, i'm much more likely to cut my head (and when I did, it would be bad!).  It's never given me trouble on my face, though.

I started with the Gillette fusion.  When shaving my head, the blades didn't last very long (I remember less than 2 weeks, shaving every other day).  The Dorco seems to last about a month, and are cheaper per cartridge.

I’m hesitant to use a double edge razor for this reason. I tend to shave quickly and worry about slicing up my mug. 

Now that I don’t really have to worry about my hair line, I’ll probably start shaving in the shower. 

7 minutes ago, frogtwang said:

I’m hesitant to use a double edge razor for this reason. I tend to shave quickly and worry about slicing up my mug. 

Now that I don’t really have to worry about my hair line, I’ll probably start shaving in the shower. 

Thing about double edge razors is that you do short quick strokes as opposed to long pulls. Also you dont apply near as much pressure as you do with a cartridge razor. I switched 8 years ago and I'm never going back.

I rarely cut myself and the blades are super cheap... but then again I'm not shaving my head.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, frogtwang said:

Doubt I’ll miss what little hair I had left. It was time. 

Be careful of sunburn. I bet a burned head is not comfortable.

Why don't y'all use electric razors? I have a great ladies electric razor and I never use blades anymore. Especially if I were shaving everyday (remember I live in the PNW....lol) I would never think of using blades with how close the new electric razors cut.

8 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I already learned my lesson on that one. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Why don't y'all use electric razors? I have a great ladies electric razor and I never use blades anymore. Especially if I were shaving everyday (remember I live in the PNW....lol) I would never think of using blades with how close the new electric razors cut.

I have never had a good shave with an electric razor. I usually shave every 3 or 4 days. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 minute ago, frogtwang said:

I have never had a good shave with an electric razor. I usually shave every 3 or 4 days. 

Maybe your head hair would be different than your facial hair, if your past experience was that the hair on your face was too coarse to get a good shave with an electric. Barbers use clippers all the time and get great results.

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

I get really bad ingrown hairs. Face skin is generally much more sensitive than leg skin too :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Try shaving a sunburnt head!  Only place I’ve had a sunburn in my life. Ouch!

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:59 AM, frogtwang said:

Wow, completely forgot about this thread.  Luckily, I recently finished up a test of some different shave creams (not the stuff in a can).  Some of the highlights:

Top ones:

Truefitt & Hill: Sandalwood - rich lather with a smooth shave that did not leave me greasy

D.R. Harris - also good lather and smooth shave (scents were nice but I simply liked the style of others better, these were a little too clean.

Speick: Active - was a refreshing scent

Piccadilly: Sandalwood - as with all the top ones, it was a smooth rich lather w/o greasy afterwards.  More of a woody scent than other sandalwoods.

LA Shave Soap Co: Vanilla/Eucalyptus/Mint - refreshing scent that was more invigorating than most

Avoid:

Chiseled Face, Barrister & Mann, Captain's Choice, Stirling - all were just not that good

• Thanks (+1) 1

Li'l Duq started shaving last week.  Had been growing some dark fuzz on his upper lip that was starting to get him teased. 

Interesting because I started growing hair on my chin first ... a teammate started calling me 'Billy Goat' for a while until my dad started letting me shave.  The hair on his head he definitely inherited from me (thick, straight, lots of cowlicks, doesn't lay down once it gets longer) but I guess his facial hair genes came from elsewhere ...

• Upvote (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Li'l Duq started shaving last week.

😲