Sign in to follow this  
Endless Purple

Shaving

Mentioned at the tailgate that I would post in the general board.  Do others on here shave with the double edge razors or straight razors, and use the good creams and soaps (ie. no can garbage)?  If so what are some of the products you enjoy

PCF (I think I got that right, too many new names and faces at one time), most of what I learned was from the badger and blade website/forums.  A lot of information on good techniques for close clean shaves, as well as a lot of feedback on which products work well in terms of a comfortable and effective shave.  For examples: What soaps or creams give a thick and protective lather, techniques for creating a good lather, types of razors that get close vs nick too easily, etc..  Just a way to make it relaxing as opposed to a chore every morning.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Mentioned at the tailgate that I would post in the general board.  Do others on here shave with the double edge razors or straight razors, and use the good creams and soaps (ie. no can garbage)?  If so what are some of the products you enjoy

PCF (I think I got that right, too many new names and faces at one time), most of what I learned was from the badger and blade website/forums.  A lot of information on good techniques for close clean shaves, as well as a lot of feedback on which products work well in terms of a comfortable and effective shave.  For examples: What soaps or creams give a thick and protective lather, techniques for creating a good lather, types of razors that get close vs nick too easily, etc..  Just a way to make it relaxing as opposed to a chore every morning.

Nice! Bummer I missed out on this conversation as I am a DE blade guy.

I got into the "hobby" of shaving a few years ago when my face just couldn't take the daily grind of those Mach 342's or whatever the amount of blades they have now are.

For my razor I use a merkur 34c. I really like the weight of it and the handle is short thus making it easier to handle. It took a few weeks of getting used to but now I couldn't imagine using anything else. Pretty popular amoungst shavers. No frills. The Toyota Camry of razors.

http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-Heavy-Double-Razor-Included/dp/B000QYEK88

For the blades I now use the Astra "superior platinum" double edge blades. I have found them to best combination of close shaving an comfort. For a while I was buying the trial packs which would come with 5 different types of blades and I liked a lot of them but Astra worked best for me. Bought 100 of them for $10 on amazon over a year ago and still haven't made a dent. A lot of shave forum people like to pimp the Japanese made "feather" brand, but I felt them to be almost too sharp. I kept nicking myself.

http://www.groominglounge.com/astra-superior-platinum-double-edged-safety-blades.html?gclid=CPyyytGLuroCFenm7AoduVwAVA

I can't remember my brush brand. It was a middle of the road $35 one I bought online. I've had it for 18 months or so and it has held up very well. Probably need a new one in the next 6 months or so. Will look at the brand when I get home. Also, always go 100% pure badger.

For my creams I have found that I like the Taylor of Old Bond Street products. I have used their Sandalwood, Avocado, Lavender, and Shaving Shoppe scents and I enjoy them all. The run $15-$20 for a tub. But each tub will last me 2-3 months. It makes an awesome lather and I don't need to use any pre or post shave product. Just use a dollop and create the lather on my face.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_6?url=search-alias%3Dhpc&field-keywords=taylor%20of%20old%20bond%20street%20shaving%20cream&sprefix=taylor%2Chpc%2C323

Everyone has what works for them so my advice is to just do a little research and start trying things out. See what you like. I still don't love shaving, but using my razor with my good brush and creams have made it a slightly more enjoyable experience.

Start slow, and remember. Short, quick strokes over the long pulls are what keep you from cutting. Let the weight of the razor do the work. 

Also, I prefer creams to soaps. Soaps to me don't give you quite the lather that a cream does IMO. But there are some decent soaps out there for cheap that are fun to try out. I like the Col. Conk brand.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_4?url=search-alias%3Dhpc&field-keywords=col+conk+shaving+soap&sprefix=col+%2Chpc%2C293&rh=n%3A3760901%2Ck%3Acol+conk+shaving+soap

I use an art of shaving straight razor blade. Lately, being using Jack Black shaving cream. I like because it has a nice clean smell. My buddy's a barber and came back from overseas gave me a high quality olive oil that he recommended using as a preshave oil. Thought it was strange but can't argue with the results.

I'm going to pull the trigger on this and give it a go. Some of the stuff looks like it should come with a matching monocle, though.

I thought this was going to be about the TCU offense deliberately not scoring to help out Vegas...

I hate this thread. For the last few years I have been advised by doctors to stay away from all sharp objects, especially razors and blades (this is due to using lots of blood thinners and thus a tendency to bleed like the UTEP defense against LT). As a result i have gone through several electric shavers and so I am usually badly shaven if at all. I have never had a good shave with an electric shaver. As a treat to myself and a finger in the breeze to the medical profession, about once a year I shave with a blade (well, sort of a blade) and Gillette Foamy, mainly because that's what I still have in the medicine cabinet. I try to always have a trained nurse on hand for these occasions.

I hate this thread. For the last few years I have been advised by doctors to stay away from all sharp objects, especially razors and blades (this is due to using lots of blood thinners and thus a tendency to bleed like the UTEP defense against LT). As a result i have gone through several electric shavers and so I am usually badly shaven if at all. I have never had a good shave with an electric shaver. As a treat to myself and a finger in the breeze to the medical profession, about once a year I shave with a blade (well, sort of a blade) and Gillette Foamy, mainly because that's what I still have in the medicine cabinet. I try to always have a trained nurse on hand for these occasions.

If you are only going to do it once a year, at least gets some good soap and badger hair brush with a nice warm lather to enjoy it.

--------------

I tried some of the TOBS (Taylor of Old Bond Street) Avocado.  Really liked the results but not the scent.  I just brought back a sample of their Almond which smells great.  I plan to try it in the morning getting ready for work.  I usually use soaps, but there are a lot of good creams as well.  One of the preferred soaps for me is the Cade from L'Occitane at the mall.  Their after shave is pretty nice too.  Muhler is another good soap.

Recently though I have been using some of the Art of Shaving Sandlewood cream.  It came with the kit that also had one of their travel size badger brushes.  The brush for me works great both size and stiffness.

I'm going to pull the trigger on this and give it a go. Some of the stuff looks like it should come with a matching monocle, though.

Good to hear.  Even the inexpensive brush and soap kit at the grocery stores, I find better than the canned shave gel.  Post up what you start with and any questions.

If you are only going to do it once a year, at least gets some good soap and badger hair brush with a nice warm lather to enjoy it.

--------------

I tried some of the TOBS (Taylor of Old Bond Street) Avocado.  Really liked the results but not the scent.  I just brought back a sample of their Almond which smells great.  I plan to try it in the morning getting ready for work.  I usually use soaps, but there are a lot of good creams as well.  One of the preferred soaps for me is the Cade from L'Occitane at the mall.  Their after shave is pretty nice too.  Muhler is another good soap.

Recently though I have been using some of the Art of Shaving Sandlewood cream.  It came with the kit that also had one of their travel size badger brushes.  The brush for me works great both size and stiffness.

really? TOBS Avocado is one of my favorites. Right now I'm using their grapefruit and I really like it too.

I just can't get into soaps. Maybe I should revisit. I used to be more adventitious, but now I know what I like.

BTW,

my Brush is an edwin jagger. i think I got it on royalshave.com

really? TOBS Avocado is one of my favorites. Right now I'm using their grapefruit and I really like it too.

I just can't get into soaps. Maybe I should revisit. I used to be more adventitious, but now I know what I like.

BTW,

That's the razor brand I selected. I'm partial to the English rather than the Germans. 

BTW,

I tend to like more of the sandlewood type of scents in general with a few exceptions.  There are so many options there are always some to like and some not to.  For me the different scents are really what I enjoy in the mornings so I try to pick up something new every so often.

I'm now wondering if this board is more inundated with female feminists or metrosexuals ...

Shaving is manly! And the scents are delish.  attractive to women. 

You like jaguars over bmw's?

Morris Minor if I had my choice. 

I'm now wondering if this board is more inundated with female feminists or metrosexuals ...

It's a messenger bag, not a purse...

+4/  Aren't they able to get a good close shave when they get their pedicure?

If I get a good pedicure, I'm less inclined to bite my toenails, sir. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Don't knock pedis until you try them.

I actually had one once.  I had broken my hip and couldn't reach my feet and after a few months they were getting dry and nasty so my wife set up an after hour appointment for me.

My son-in-law gets them on occasion.  Goes in with his wife.

If I get a good pedicure, I'm less inclined to bite my toenails, sir. 

Then what do you do when you get bored?

I think the cost savings is impressive over time. The blades are less than 1.5 cents a piece. I hate all the razors and shaving creams I've tried lately, no matter how much they cost or how many blades they have. At a buck a plastic razor, I'm saving 98.5 cents each time I shave. If I shave a million times, I'll be a millionaire.  :wacko: