Sign in to follow this  
Duquesne Frog

Facebook

So after having you people force me onto Facebook, I am having all of my negative preconceived notions about it confirmed.  My aunt-in-law offers a daily post fishing for sympathy for her sundry medical conditions.  I've friended two old high school friends who immediately outed themselves as flaming homophobes due to their apparent outrage over the DOMA ruling.  Another recently separated old high school friend likes to share his daily misogynist deep thought(s).

My 20th high school reunion is next month, but thankfully Facebook has eliminated what small shred of thought I had of attending.  So I guess it's got that going for it ...

Duq, don't actually go on Facebook. That's a huge error in your part. Now that we're over here, there's no reason for you to go over there.

I went to the WVU game instead of going to my 20th HS reunion. No regrets

• Upvote (+1) 1

Duq, don't actually go on Facebook. That's a huge error in your part. Now that we're over here, there's no reason for you to go over there.

I went to the WVU game instead of going to my 20th HS reunion. No regrets

Rookie mistake, I know.

No, you must stay on so that when I post a status update about once every three months you can "like" it.

So after having you people force me onto Facebook, I am having all of my negative preconceived notions about it confirmed.  My aunt-in-law offers a daily post fishing for sympathy for her sundry medical conditions.  I've friended two old high school friends who immediately outed themselves as flaming homophobes due to their apparent outrage over the DOMA ruling.  Another recently separated old high school friend likes to share his daily misogynist deep thought(s).

My 20th high school reunion is next month, but thankfully Facebook has eliminated what small shred of thought I had of attending.  So I guess it's got that going for it ...

Yea, I love Facebook too...

You can set it up so that you never have to see what other people post. Or, you can choose the people whose stuff you want to see, like all of us.

If you were a real friend, you'd suggest an online community they could join with other people who would like the way they think. I have a place in mind.

If you were a real friend, you'd suggest an online community they could join with other people who would like the way they think. I have a place in mind.

Yes, I do appreciate the irony/hypocrisy of my Facebook position. I think its the brazen lack of anonymity with which people feel comfortable exposing themselves as wackadoos in such a forum. Does nobody have a sense of mystery anymore?

In all seriousness, I see the way people just vomit out their personal information on places like that and laugh that they're probably some of the most offended by the NSA kerfuffle ...

Rookie mistake, I know.

I have avoided that ever since I got a friend request from Miz Scribe's obnoxious distant cousin....I'm trying to forget that I ever signed up there, even as you seem to be...

I have avoided that ever since I got a friend request from Miz Scribe's obnoxious distant cousin....I'm trying to forget that I ever signed up there, even as you seem to be...

One of the ironies is that one of the homophobic high school friends who was railing against the DOMA decision is recently divorced.  There's your sanctity of heterosexual marriage for ya ...

One of the ironies is that one of the homophobic high school friends who was railing against the DOMA decision is recently divorced. There's your sanctity of heterosexual marriage for ya ...

The prevailing view of Christian sexual ethics boils down to two key points: be born of the right orientation and let's all pretend we didn't do it before marriage even though we did.

Commitment? Mutuality? Lack of coercion and exploitation? Responsibility toward family? Naw, that chit is for weak Christians.

I agree that FB is full of "friends" who tell us stuff we don't want to know. I use it 98% for business because people want to see pictures of their dogs so they can share with their friends who don't care. However, I think we should keep our FB group for when the board has a hiccup and we need a place to rendezvous quickly.

I agree that FB is full of "friends" who tell us stuff we don't want to know. I use it 98% for business because people want to see pictures of their dogs so they can share with their friends who don't care. However, I think we should keep our FB group for when the board has a hiccup and we need a place to rendezvous quickly.

It worked very well as an emergency shelter.

Mrs. Duq uses Facebook a ton for business purposes too.  It has its place but damn it amplifies all of society's worst narcissistic impulses ...

It worked very well as an emergency shelter.

yeah. little short on emergency rations, but otherwise....

yeah. little short on emergency rations, but otherwise....

Next time I'll make cookies...

And Twitter is worse than Facebook. Just saying

My HS reunion czar set up a FB page.  I joined, much to my regret.

After the date of the reunion passed (and I got to see the pix taken), I bailed.

Too beat down by recipes, on-line games, and the couple of my classmates who seem to be on the same email lists as fnfree and like to share.

My 30th is coming up and all the correspondence has been email or fscebook. Given that the big event is pixza and beer at the local VFW hall I dont think I shall be attending.

My 30th is coming up and all the correspondence has been email or fscebook. Given that the big event is pixza and beer at the local VFW hall I dont think I shall be attending.

Elitist...you fit right in here at The Frog Horn.

Elitist...you fit right in here at The Frog Horn.

You've presumably never been to the VFW hall in New Lenox.