Sign in to follow this  
Poison Arrow Frog

Great Television Thread

Watch very little of "modern era" tv except for Duck Dynasty, Person of Interest, and a couple of others, but mostly sports. Favorite show this past year was The Americans on FX. Never missed an episode. Can't wait for next year.

Back in my younger days: Carl Burnett, Ed Sullivan Show, Red Skelton Show (my favorite), The Smothers Brothers, Adam 12, American Bandstand, Shell's Wonderful World of Golf, Baseball Game of the Week with Pee Wee Reese and Dizzy Dean, and a lot of others.

I used to watch This Week in Baseball with Mel Allen every week

I have to say, the Daily Show has been pretty good with John Oliver. Great substitution for Stewart.

I have to say, the Daily Show has been pretty good with John Oliver. Great substitution for Stewart.

He has been very solid. Now for an unfortunate two-week break

Nobody's mentioned Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom yet. Loved it.

Yeah...but they used to do the stupudist things sometimes. Remember the time Perkins (?--the old guy) was wrestling an anaconda in a swamp?

TWIB, to us insiders ...

And now it's time for this week's TWIB Notes from around the National League...

Best closing theme ever

Yeah...but they used to do the stupudist things sometimes. Remember the time Perkins (?--the old guy) was wrestling an anaconda in a swamp?

Marlon Perkins, wasn't it? I remember it as him sending in his trusty sidekick, Jim Somebody, to do all the dirty work. They were both the pioneers of the wanna-be macho crocodile hunter-types that would follow.

And there's Jim, about to get close to that African lion.  On my, too bad......dont get eaten by lions without insurance like Jim.  Choose Mutual of Omaha....

Being and becoming...

The manager's role is one of both hector and helper, naysayer and nexus 

Some great TV out there right now, a lot of it on premium, though:

1. Sons of Anarchy
  2. Game of Thrones
  3. Breaking Bad
  4. Damages
  5. Homeland
  6. Strike Back
  7. Shameless
  8. Spartacus
  9. Magic City

I really enjoyed some of the series that are now available on Netflix or Amazon Prime:

1. Brotherhood
  2. MI-5

It looks like 24 will make a comeback. I also liked Prison Break until they actually broke out of prison. Then it went off the rails. Lost was great TV, too, but I didn't like the way it ended. Haven't been able to get into Downton Abbey. May give it another try. Mad Men is on my summer watch list. I started Big Love last fall and liked it but got sidetracked by football and Sons of Anarchy.

Big Bang Theory is the only sitcom I watch, but not regularly.

Frasier is my favorite comedy.  It didn't pander to the lowest common denominator like most current sitcoms do.  I still watch the reruns all the time.  I wish they would show Carol Burnett reruns, too.

I really enjoy Mad Men - Jon Hamm is a honey!  Joan was at the meeting where they gave Don the boot because she is a partner.  That's why when the Avon thing happened, I didn't quite understand her actions (letting Pete talk to her like that - I want to pinch his head off!)  I guess even though she is a partner, the "women are subservient" mindset was still very strong.  Speaking of partners, how can they "fire" Don?  He's one of the major partners.  Seems to me that they will have to pay him off, if this is a permanent firing.  You know, next season is the last season.  Bummer.

Oh, I'm so glad there's another MM fan to talk with! Yep, Jon Hamm is dreamy. You're right about Joan and the Don meeting and he wasn't fired. Was his partner percentage ever revealed after the merger? I was still thinking he was a junior partner, but not as jr as Pete or Joan. What's your prediction on what they do with Don's character in season7? Redemption?

Oh, I'm so glad there's another MM fan to talk with! Yep, Jon Hamm is dreamy. You're right about Joan and the Don meeting and he wasn't fired. Was his partner percentage ever revealed after the merger? I was still thinking he was a junior partner, but not as jr as Pete or Joan. What's your prediction on what they do with Don's character in season7? Redemption?

I'm not sure he was junior given that the name of the firm was Sterling Cooper Draper Price. But if the other partners came together with a majority of the shares and wanted to boot him, I guess that could happen.

Joan became a partner after she boffed the guy from Jaguar, but apparently her presence at the meeting was a signal that she got Avon

I just watched an hour of Full House. I truly don't know why I used to watch that. I remember looking forward to TGIF.

Now The Nanny is on. I actually like it still. I also remember that my grandma loved The Nanny.

I just watched an hour of Full House. I truly don't know why I used to watch that. I remember looking forward to TGIF

Lori Laughlin.

I just watched an hour of Full House. I truly don't know why I used to watch that. I remember looking forward to TGIF.

The dreamy John Stamos?

Now The Nanny is on. I actually like it still. I also remember that my grandma loved The Nanny.

I used to love Full House reruns. Still do.