Sign in to follow this  
Poison Arrow Frog

Great Television Thread

Wonder Years, yes, that was a great show, particularly the first few seasons

I really wanted more crazy Nikki.

Speaking of her, I'm starting to catch old episodes of Portlandia on IFC.  I don't know if I quite share Boston's sexual fantasies with Carrie Brownstein, but that is a very funny show.

I actually watch The Old House, Mexico One Plate at a Time and Simply Ming...and that's about it. I know, I am a hypocrite since I am anti-public funding for television...it's not like we have a shortage of programming you know, but it's all that I watch.

Speaking of her, I'm starting to catch old episodes of Portlandia on IFC.  I don't know if I quite share Boston's sexual fantasies with Carrie Brownstein, but that is a very funny show.

Good, I want Carrie all to myself, or maybe with some other chick.

It is a great snow, though. Should have been on my list. One of my favorites

Speaking of her, I'm starting to catch old episodes of Portlandia on IFC. I don't know if I quite share Boston's sexual fantasies with Carrie Brownstein, but that is a very funny show.

And it so totally pegs every stinking aspect of the city it portrays. Everywhere you go somebody has a "put a bird on it" sign.

I do too.

But it wasn't on last night.

Quincy Butler is on tonight when the Calgary Stampeders play the BC Lions. 10:00 EDT.

Though since it's supposed to be a Calgary home game, I'm not sure if it's going ahead.

I guess I am too old. Not only do I not know the music and musical groups y'all liked, but I haven't seen, don't remember or never heard of most of your favorite TV shows. `Course I mostly watch live sports, dramatic/action series on FX or TNT (``Justified", ``Major Crimes", etc., plus ``Longmire" on AMC) and British TV shows from Netflix. I still think of ``Peter Gunn" and ``Your Show of Shows" as being recently on the tube and sorely missed.....anybody else still miss Jack Paar on ``Tonight"?

I guess I am too old. Not only do I not know the music and musical groups y'all liked, but I haven't seen, don't remember or never heard of most of your favorite TV shows. `Course I mostly watch live sports, dramatic/action series on FX or TNT (``Justified", ``Major Crimes", etc., plus ``Longmire" on AMC) and British TV shows from Netflix. I still think of ``Peter Gunn" and ``Your Show of Shows" as being recently on the tube and sorely missed.....anybody else still miss Jack Paar on ``Tonight"?

My Mother the Car???

I actually remember it to my great shame.

My Mother the Car???

I actually remember it to my great shame.

with Jerry Van Dyke, pre-Coach days (didn't have to look that up).  What I did learn by just checking Wikipedia is that prior to My Mother the Car he turned down the roles of Gilligan and Barney Fife.

Jerry van Dyke turned down roles? Was he that much in demand?

Jerry van Dyke turned down roles? Was he that much in demand?

He did get the role for My Mother the Car....often landing at #1 in worst TV shows ever lists.

of course his career took off with 4 consecutive Emmy nominations for his role on Coach.

My initial, non-verified but certainly not highly confident guess was alive.  Verifed correct.

I'm moving the Mad Men convo to this thread. I am caught up all the way to the end of season 6 now, so feel free to discuss without fear of spoilerage.

Is Draper ever going to get himself together? He needs to take Megan and run to CA and live off his money while she makes more, BUT stay out of trouble. NYC is a bad place for him.

Sally is going to end up as a high price hooker with a bad coke habit. That poor kid needs to go back and play Go Fish with her shrink.

I'm moving the Mad Men convo to this thread. I am caught up all the way to the end of season 6 now, so feel free to discuss without fear of spoilerage.

Is Draper ever going to get himself together? He needs to take Megan and run to CA and live off his money while she makes more, BUT stay out of trouble. NYC is a bad place for him.

Sally is going to end up as a high price hooker with a bad coke habit. That poor kid needs to go back and play Go Fish with her shrink.

Did the revelation to Hershey and the trip to the old whorehouse with the kids signal the beginning of a redemption? He has run all his life from who he really is. He can't just keep running. I actually hope he faces his demon head on in the last season

Entertainment Magazine recently named it the best ever.

Hard to argue with that, objectively speaking

Hard to argue with that, objectively speaking

Except that any designation of "best ever" is primarily if not exclusively subjective.

Did the revelation to Hershey and the trip to the old whorehouse with the kids signal the beginning of a redemption? He has run all his life from who he really is. He can't just keep running. I actually hope he faces his demon head on in the last season

i don't know. He's tried to clean up before and it never sticks. He's weak. I think he's really ashamed that his daughter saw him screwing the neighbor, so maybe that's going to help kick him in the butt this time. And, he really loves Megan and he's afraid she'll walk out on him if he doesn't shape up. He treats her like crap and knows it. She's so much better for him than Betty was. 

So, when DD is leaving the office near the end of the last episode of season 6 and the elevator opens and Duck and the other guy get off, who is the other guy? And, are they coming in to take Don's place while he's on leave? Would Pete have suggested that to the other partners? There are so many guys who come back from previous seasons I can't keep track of everyone.

What's going to happen to Peggy and Stan? And Kinzey? I want more Hare Krishna rat tail fat guy. Think he'll show up in CA when Pete and Ted get out there?

Except that any designation of "best ever" is primarily if not exclusively subjective.

Yeah, OK, my point was that while it's not my personal favorite, I can understand why somebody would call it the best ever

i don't know. He's tried to clean up before and it never sticks. He's weak. I think he's really ashamed that his daughter saw him screwing the neighbor, so maybe that's going to help kick him in the butt this time. And, he really loves Megan and he's afraid she'll walk out on him if he doesn't shape up. He treats her like crap and knows it. She's so much better for him than Betty was. 

So, when DD is leaving the office near the end of the last episode of season 6 and the elevator opens and Duck and the other guy get off, who is the other guy? And, are they coming in to take Don's place while he's on leave? Would Pete have suggested that to the other partners? There are so many guys who come back from previous seasons I can't keep track of everyone.

What's going to happen to Peggy and Stan? And Kinzey? I want more Hare Krishna rat tail fat guy. Think he'll show up in CA when Pete and Ted get out there?

Don seems to be coming clean to his kids for the first time about his real past. That might be some sort of breakthrough. Or it might be another false dawn. Everything else to this point has been.

Duck is a headhunter now, and the other guy is Don's replacement. Pete has been in touch with Duck, but I don't know that he would have suggested the other guy. He might have, but I don't know that he has that much of a beef with Don. Matthew Weiner apparently said that Joan got the Avon account, which is why she was at the meeting where Don got fired. I would never have figured that out on my own.

I hope we see more of Kinsey with California coming into play. And Harry Crane being a cad. He used to be almost likable

One of the better of the franchise. 

Speaking of intros, of the Star Trek franchises, by far the worst show and by far the best intro was Enterprise.

One of the few shows where I actually watched the intro, instead of skipping past it.