Sign in to follow this  
Chicken Frog

Compelling TCU/TTU analysis

Wonder what you would counter to the below..

TCU ?

I really dislike this team. Some of it’s their own fault but most of it’s on the media. Credit Patterson for building on the momentum that Francione started but that said, ever since 2008 (four post-season rankings between 2nd-14th!?!?) they have been incredibly overrated. Those rankings and those records came solely because the cupcake schedule they faced.  Yeah, they earned a Fiesta Bowl invite in 2010 but it was against that other vastly overrated team - Boise State…AND THEY LOST!! In their undefeated 2011 season the only legit competition they faced was Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.

Flash forward to the 2013 pre-season rankings and we find TCU is ranked 15th-17th. WHY!?!?

This is essentially the same TCU team they had last year, yet everybody is a year older. With Pachall out of the picture and Boykin starting, it’s very easy to assess their body of work.  Since Boykin became the starter for Iowa State game last year, TCU is 4-7. They staggered like a drunk in the dark last year in the Big 12 and then lost their bowl game to a 7-6 Michigan State team. Again, why the hell are they still in the Top 25!?!?

Texas Tech is similar to TCU in terms of having many of the same players that won the game in Fort Worth last year. Tech had to rope-a-dope early with TCU but pulled away and had a 36-26 lead with four minutes to play. On 3rd and 18, Boykin hit a long TD pass against That Little Twerp’s defense to make it 36-33. That Little Twerp (nice game v Illinois last week) then played as if he was afraid to lose on the next series and the Frogs ended up sending the game into OT.

The big difference this year is That Little Twerp is gone but so is Doege (who may have played the game of his life v TCU). Last year’s team didn’t have Amaro available and there’s nobody on TCU who can cover him.  Bradley Marquez, Deandre Washington and Quinton White (yes, I’m intrigued) weren’t available last year either. More important than anything else, That Little Twerp is in Cincinnati this year while Kliff Kingsbury is in Lubbock.

Mayfield doesn’t need to match what Doege did last year (30/42, 7 TDs, no picks) but if he’s solid, stays patient and can handle the inevitable blitz packages he's going to see, Tech will truck the Frogs on Thursday.

"That Little Twerp" = Tubbs

• Downvote (-1) 1

Did #yoloswag write that?

LOL

That guy needs to call his bookie up right now and put his college fund on the game!  He's got it figured out!

He admits that Doege played the game of his life, yet Tech barely escaped with a victory.  But all Mayfield has to do is be solid.

Oh-kay......

I don't know.  Just point out Amaro's body of work to him.  Two good games in 3 seasons and those came against SFA (gave up 50 points to Weber) and WVU (the 108th ranked defense in 2012).  The guy averaged 3-4 catches and 40 ypg against OU and ISU.  Looks to me like someone can cover him.

From my observation of the Frogs so far in 2013, they are getting better each week.  There is no question that Boykin is better than last year.  I feel confident in his abilities, I was uncertain last year.  BJ is looking like a stud.  He's better than last year plus we get James and Green for this game.  The WRs are good but someone needs to step up.  Boyce was a go to receiver.  We need a go to guy.  White is better than he was last year, we have a luxury at CB.  The safety play could be better, but these guys have shown they can play.  The OL seems more mature and can hold their own.  This DL, with Fields, is exceptional.  Lathan looked good last Saturday and he is the 4th or 5th DE.  The LBers look fast and outside of getting caught up inside on that end run against LSU have looked athletic.

Such weird statements. Let's ignore the "They were only ranked so high because of their cupcake schedule" stuff right off the bat. Heard it a million times. Though, it is weird that they seem to insinuate we got the Fiesta Bowl bid and then chose Boise State, as if we had any control over that whatsoever.

Anyway, moving on:

This is essentially the same TCU team they had last year, yet everybody is a year older. With Pachall out of the picture and Boykin starting, it’s very easy to assess their body of work.

Pachall wasn't out of the picture until after the second week of the season, so no clue why he thinks pre-season and week 1 rankings would reflect that.

Secondly, this is not the same team we had last year. Pachall was back, Waymon James is back, Boykin isn't hampered by a bad ankle, our LB crew is better, the Freshmen that played last year are a full year older, BJ Catalon and Aaron Green are stronger than Matthew Tucker and Andre Dean, etc. etc.

They staggered like a drunk in the dark last year in the Big 12 and then lost their bowl game to a 7-6 Michigan State team. Again, why the hell are they still in the Top 25!?!?

Staggered like a drunk? We were in every single game we played save for the K-State and Oklahoma State games. We lost to OU by 7 when we were on the 10 yard line, we lost to Tech in 3OT, we lost to Michigan State by 1 point because our Punt Returner made one mistake. The games are the games and I'm not saying we didn't lose them, but there weren't any 66-7 games here.

Plus, since when do we start the clock mid-season just to make the record look worse? We were 7-6 last year with several close games, didn't lose a lot of talent, gained some, and that's what the pollsters see.

Texas Tech is similar to TCU in terms of having many of the same players that won the game in Fort Worth last year.

Um....except for your QB who threw for 4,200 yards (second in the country) and 39 TD's (third in the country) last year. Other than that....totally the same.

Tech had to rope-a-dope early with TCU but pulled away and had a 36-26 lead with four minutes to play. On 3rd and 18, Boykin hit a long TD pass against That Little Twerp’s defense to make it 36-33. That Little Twerp (nice game v Illinois last week) then played as if he was afraid to lose on the next series and the Frogs ended up sending the game into OT.

This is hilarious. Tech MEANT to let TCU score early to rope-a-dope them....but then it's totally not their fault that they got bombed on late to send the game to OT? If anything, they were fortunate that Patterson didn't go for the Win when we had the ball 1st and 10 at the 19.

The big difference this year is That Little Twerp is gone but so is Doege (who may have played the game of his life v TCU). Last year’s team didn’t have Amaro available and there’s nobody on TCU who can cover him. Bradley Marquez, Deandre Washington and Quinton White (yes, I’m intrigued) weren’t available last year either. More important than anything else, That Little Twerp is in Cincinnati this year while Kliff Kingsbury is in Lubbock.

OH, OK, so TCU is basically the same team, but Tech is super scary now because they have a ton of players that were hurt or suspended or not available during the TCU game? Got it.

And please, tell me more about how nobody in a 4-2-5 could possibly cover a 260 lb Tight End.

Can't wait for Thursday.

• Upvote (+1) 1

From my observation of the Frogs so far in 2013, they are getting better each week.  There is no question that Boykin is better than last year.  I feel confident in his abilities, I was uncertain last year.  BJ is looking like a stud.  He's better than last year plus we get James and Green for this game.  The WRs are good but someone needs to step up.  Boyce was a go to receiver.  We need a go to guy.  White is better than he was last year, we have a luxury at CB.  The safety play could be better, but these guys have shown they can play.  The OL seems more mature and can hold their own.  This DL, with Fields, is exceptional.  Lathan looked good last Saturday and he is the 4th or 5th DE.  The LBers look fast and outside of getting caught up inside on that end run against LSU have looked athletic.

I was also quite impressed with Lathan last week. He showed a lot of speed on that sack he had.

With a strong upfield pass rush, hopefully we can knock mayfield around a couple times, making him a little nervous. Obviously to counter, Tech will do lots of quick outs or screens to the WR/RB in the flats, so we'll need to be sure a get through their blocking.

It looks like Mayfield will pretty much need to beat us with his arms alone if Tech wants to win. Their run game seems non-existent (27 rushes vs SMU for 48 yards) to this point in the year.

Did #yoloswag write that?

LOL

That guy needs to call his bookie up right now and put his college fund on the game!  He's got it figured out!

What college fund?

We had 150 more yards in regulation. Our turnovers and their 1st half onside kick kept them in it. That had just over 300 yards of offense in regulation.

Regarding "stumbling like a drunk": tech was the one that got boat raced, by halftime, several times after that game.

LOL.

Texas Tech is similar to TCU in terms of having many of the same players that won the game in Fort Worth last year.

Didn't they replace their entire secondary, starting QB, several D and O linemen?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Didn't they replace their entire secondary, starting QB, several D and O linemen?

Yes to the OL. Many beating their chests after facing defensive forces in SFA and SMU but really they haven't played anything close to a talented D yet. SFA sucks in general (at this level) and SMU beat Montana Tech or whatever by 1.

Yes, but that doesn't matter because TCU also lost like 4 people!

All seriousness, if Tech plays LSU week one, rather than SMU, what is the score?

Ego Ferguson and Freak Johnson would have given Mayfield all kinds of problems. I think Tech gets beat by a lot worse than TCU.

Hard to tell but I think it's like

LSU 48

Tech 27

Tech would not have put up 27 points on LSU unless they did so after it was 41 to 6 or something.  LSU secondary way way too good

Not concerned about what Tech fans post.  They cannot get past that TCU can't be any good, as the frogs are still the same teams from the 70s and just a mid-major program.  While Tech is stuck in 2008 mode forever.

I think our D will be better this year than last, especially in the front 6.  Our corners are beasts still as well.

If the receivers don't drop balls and get open, I think the O will work just fine.  I am not expecting anything explosive, but would not mind being proven wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 2