Sign in to follow this  
Friskyfrog

TGBDS: Epic Randomness

4 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

PD...from an article about the trip:

Awesome! I've seen a few black bears in BC and Yellowstone/Grand Teton, but I'd love to see a polar bear in the wild.

7 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Awesome! I've seen a few black bears in BC and Yellowstone/Grand Teton, but I'd love to see a polar bear in the wild.

No you wouldn't!

...Unless you were inside a bog bus or boat.

That said, I did o down and see one here once. Stupid of me.

I can vouch for this one if using honey and green cabbage instead of maple and red cabbage. Have maple syrup (all I ever buy) but don't like it with any meat excerpt, perhaps, salmon at great intervals hence the honey.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/sheet-pan-maple-mustard-chicken-thighs-and-red-cabbage-caraway/17278/

The Wapo cooking columns have taken a real jump upwards over the past while.

v-nourish-maplemustardchicken--_127_lead

14 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

Me, today after testing out my new shop toy -

happy-dance-animated-gif-image-45.gif

He filled in a golf foursome at my brother's winter golf club in Tucson a while back. My brother and friends didn't know who the guy was until when they got back to the clubhouse and a bunch of younger people wanted selfies, etc.  A couple of days later on my brother's every-evening ball finding expedition in the extreme rough (he lives next to the fairway) my brother found one of his monogrammed lost balls in amongst the rattlesnakes which inhabit the territory off the rough.

Even better than a selfie if you're a golfer, I suppose.

6 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

He filled in a golf foursome at my brother's winter golf club in Tucson a while back. My brother and friends didn't know who the guy was until when they got back to the clubhouse and a bunch of younger people wanted selfies, etc.  A couple of days later on my brother's every-evening ball finding expedition in the extreme rough (he lives next to the fairway) my brother found one of his monogrammed lost balls in amongst the rattlesnakes which inhabit the territory off the rough.

Even better than a selfie if you're a golfer, I suppose.

I don't golf, but the best part of that to me is a steady supply of snake meat. Just add fire, butter, garlic, salt and pepper. Good eating!

2 minutes ago, Feeling Froggy said:

I don't golf, but the best part of that to me is a steady supply of snake meat. Just add fire, butter, garlic, salt and pepper. Good eating!

He doesn't eat them! What he did was get an extendable ball grabber that allows him to get balls in the rocky, cactusy, brambly off-rough WITHOUT having to kill any. The ground there is also just plain loaded with various little shrew/mouse/vole/whatever burrows. Rattlesnakes must find it a complete buffet.

18 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

No you wouldn't!

...Unless you were inside a bog bus or boat.

That said, I did o down and see one here once. Stupid of me.

The bears I saw were in the wild. I was in my vehicle. 😉

Been working in old polar whaling logbooks to enter the data there into spreadsheets to be used to reconstruct old weather records (oldweather.org). Wonderful way to contribute to the science, BTW.  Anyway came across the June 16, 1899 entry of the Alexander which besides some minimal weather data includes the following entry. [note that the mate keeping the log appears to have no notion of punctuation and is limited other ways in his writing, but the gist is pretty clear!):

...fast to flaw [i.e., "floe"] ice on the North side of East Cape on the Siberia Coast the ship is about 75 feet from the Beach one of the Crew Named Hanse Olsen went on shore without permission and got whiskey from the Natives and got drunk and Came on board and sarted to fight with the Crew i the Mate tried to stop him and he Called ne all the S.B. he could think of them i got him [?f] and the Captain Hanse to Shut his mouth he was swearing and Hanse said that there was no S.B in the Ship that Could stop him from swearing and the Captain Said that he Could and Hanse said he was a S.B. and he Could not do it So we lashed hiss feet and hands to  gather and put Hanse down the Main hatch and sent on Board of the Carluk for a pair of big hand Cuffs and put them on then he cursed the Captain and all the Officers that we had to gog him such language i never hurd before So ends the day.

[added vertically in margin] Mate took a bottle half full of Alcohol Hanse and through the bottle over board

Ahhh!!! The joys of sailing!!!

• Haha  (+1) 1

A trinket I ordered with "2-day shipping" weeks ago showed up on my doorstep today.

rE5nf05.jpg

I am still waiting on a bunch of other little pieces and parts (and most importantly, end mills to cut aluminum), but this I am happy with. Normally, I would scoff at such a gizmo, and call it a waste of $20. Even though it works flawlessly, it really is pointless as it currently sits. However, I think it is mandatory for adequately pulling off what I have planned. The knob has to be changed, and now that I know for certain what the shaft size of the rotary encoder on it is, I can search for a suitable replacement.

It was a 50/50 shot that it would have M3 sized holes or 6-32 sized holes on the PCB. I have everything for 6-32, but of course, the PCB on this was built with M3 in mind. If I am lucky, I can get four M3 female/6-32 male standoffs ordered and shipped here by Thanksgiving. Yay for living in the butthole of the world and being a slave to online ordering. If only 1986 Rat Shack still existed, none of this would be a problem.

C6CEBDA659FF4D0E832E.jpeg

Everybody eats the genitalia first, right?

More drama at sea!...

June 26, 1899...

...Ship at Anchor at Indian Point to Night we have found out ho the thief is this name is Jack Warren and a fiew day a go he was cought Broaching Cargo down in the four hatch to Night he was Caught stealing again so we put him in irons and trised [trussed?] him up so he Can't steal any more so ends the day

• Haha  (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Looks like you're eating the butt, though.

Pretty sure they’re all packed in there pretty close on rabbits.

• Haha  (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Newbomb Turk said:

C6CEBDA659FF4D0E832E.jpeg

Everybody eats the genitalia first, right?

All the calories fall out if you break it!

20 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Stay hard, Tim Brown.

Just to clarify, not the Heisman Trophy winning Dallas native, but the one who played for the Eagles back in the 60s ...

30 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Just to clarify, not the Heisman Trophy winning Dallas native, but the one who played for the Eagles back in the 60s ...

I was thinking famous MASH "ringer"!