Sign in to follow this  
Friskyfrog

TGBDS: Epic Randomness

6 minutes ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Digging out later" is going to be a long, long process. 

Good thing you've been working out! 

Really hoping you don't lose power again. You need a generator or a fireplace/woodstove. Keep updating us, please. Are your kids with you?

Storm continues to set records especially the winds. A gust of 157kph (98 mph) was observed a bit ago at the airport. Ridiculous. Nearby in the ocean they have gone as high as 170 kph (106 mph). Winds have been sustained hurricane force of 119 kph plus (75 mph) for hours. It's always windy here but this is downright scary.

Cannot get out of any door as the snow is so high...will have to go out a window in the morning to get started shoveling.

1 hour ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

Cannot get out of any door as the snow is so high...will have to go out a window in the morning to get started shoveling.

😬

Keeping you in my thoughts, friend.  Tie yourself down so you don't blow away now that you've lost so much weight.

Am alive this morning. Unbelievable amount of snow down. Record amounts. All time. And that's saying something here in Nor'easter Alley. Thank God we weren't in the danger quadrant of the storm. Can't imagine what it would have been like if it had tracked 30 miles to the west.

Lucky with power, at least. Winds still gusting over 100 kph (65 mph). Will be days clearing enough to get out to street but that's OK since they are talking days to get the streets initially cleared. Emergency vehicles are working with a snowblowing truck and front end loader in front to clear a path. So far only one idiot went out for a walk in the woods and is likely dead now. Number of all time records set in various places including wind speeds and snowfall amounts. 

I live on a snow emergency priority route. No plow has yet appeared this morning. City hasn't announced plans to start them out fully again yet except for emergency vehicles. Apparently some are out now. Probably noonish for full efforts to start.

Will decide which window to use to get out of the house soon, but winds not supposed to subside yet for half a day or so. Only sea effect snow coming down now, at least.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Good heavens, Newf, that's incredible. The guy who went out in it to walk to his friend's house is so obviously dead. He texted "lost" with 1% battery left last night. I agree it was a very stupid thing to do. 

Good thing you don't live where the avalanche occurred right into those houses! The pictures of the storm on Twitter are just unbelievable. Where will all the water go when it starts to melt and will it then cause flooding? I saw a tweet that said you're expecting rain on Monday?

This is cool for people who never get to see machinery like this, but the snow is coming down so hard that as soon as it's cleared it just fills in again.

57 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

This is cool for people who never get to see machinery like this, but the snow is coming down so hard that as soon as it's cleared it just fills in again.

Over 4"/hour was falling. That is a LOT of snow.

While I was doing the important manly shoveling from the door to the car, my daughter was doing her civic duty and shoveling out the fireplug. Here is where she first exposed just the TOP of it. The stairway at the top of the pic is the second story front entrance.

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunch

1 hour ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

While I was doing the important manly shoveling from the door to the car, my daughter was doing her civic duty and shoveling out the fireplug. Here is where she first exposed just the TOP of it. The stairway at the top of the pic is the second story front entrance.

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunch

Attach your pic again, it's not showing up.

I read you're getting more snow tonight or tomorrow night?! Another big dump like you just had?

1 hour ago, PurpleDawg said:

Attach your pic again, it's not showing up.

I read you're getting more snow tonight or tomorrow night?! Another big dump like you just had?

picture128490.jpg

Yeah...like 10-15 cm. Just a dusting.

• Upvote (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Zebra Frog said:

Wow!

For anyone who has ever been here, this youtube is downright frightening. The Narrows NEVER is impassable. Well maybe just this once it isn't, but that's an absolute first. I've been thru hurricanes/post hurricanes which had smaller surges.

3 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

The Narrows NEVER is impassable.

It would be suicide going through there now!

4 hours ago, NewfoundlandFreeFrog said:

I MADE IT OUT TO THE STREET!!! AND THEY SAY THE STREETS MAY OPEN AS WELL AS SOME STORES TOMORROW!!!

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin

Yea!! Now, attach your picture again. It didn't work.

End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.

• Like (+1) 1