Sign in to follow this  
Friskyfrog

TGBDS: Epic Randomness

1 hour ago, Rothbardian said:

I don't even know where to begin with the questions I have. 😮

Is Record Town still open across University Drive from campus?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

Is Record Town still open across University Drive from campus?

Good lord no.  Hasn't been for at least 20 years, I dont think.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Duquesne Frog said:

Good lord no.  Hasn't been for at least 20 years, I dont think.

Where do people buy records in FW anymore? Not that you'd know, really...

35 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Where do people buy records in FW anymore? Not that you'd know, really...

Boiled some moose ribs down into a meat glaze yesterday. Used the leftover meat to make hash today. Moose hash is good. Made it the old fashioned way with a knife and cut everything into small cubes (that kept their shapes beautifully I might add), not a food processor or grinder.

First I was excited. Then I got sad. Then I laughed because I can’t argue with it. 

(check the poster) 

• Haha  (+1) 1

Redid my cable/internet/phone package. Got it down 30% so that's good. FINALLY have flex channels so I don't have to buy extra packs. Got every movie channel by deleting all the kids stuff and swapping them in for them. (This inability to choose channels before shows why monopolies are evil.)

Internet now runs at 200Mbits/sec up from 60. Downloads pretty fast. So that's good.

Still hovering just over my high school playing weight. That'll be 90 pounds in 20 months even though I've more than doubled what most lifting muscles can do.

How's that for epicly random?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Facebook (not that I actually use it) sent me an e-mail that I might want to be friends with some Lee P. guy in Massachusetts.

Why would I want to be friends with someone who left me out in the blazing sun while he BASKED in AC?

• Haha  (+1) 1

REALLY big nor'easter coming. Right now central pressure is forecast to go down to about 955 mbar as it goes by. That's LOW.

3:49 PM NST Thursday 16 January 2020
Blizzard warning in effect for:

• St. John's and vicinity

Dangerous blizzard conditions are expected, with very strong winds and visibility near zero in heavy snow and blowing snow.

Locations: Avalon Peninsula, Clarenville and vicinity, and Bonavista Peninsula.

Total snowfall: 40 to 70 cm (16-28"), with highest amounts occurring over the northern Avalon Peninsula right over NFF's house..

Maximum wind gusts: northerly 120 km/h (75 mph), except 150 (93 mph)along parts of the coast.

Time span: early Friday morning until Saturday afternoon.

Remarks: Heaviest snowfall will occur during the morning and afternoon on Friday when rates could exceed 5 cm per hour. Lesser rates will continue through Friday night.

Winds will strengthen during the day on Friday, with the strongest gusts occurring Friday night.

Conditions are expected to improve early on Saturday for most areas but strong winds, snow and blowing snow will persist over coastal areas exposed to the north into Saturday afternoon.

Damage to buildings, such as to roof shingles and windows, may occur. Store or anchor objects so they are not tossed by the wind causing injury or damage.

Power outages may occur.

Consider postponing non-essential travel until conditions improve. If you do travel and become lost, remain where you are until the blizzard has passed.

Blizzard warnings are issued when widespread reduced visibilities of 400 metres or less are expected for at least 4 hours.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to NLstorm@canada.ca or tweet reports using #NLwx.

3:40 PM NST Thursday 16 January 2020
Storm surge warning in effect for:

• St. John's and vicinity

High Storm Surge levels and large waves are expected to impact the coast.

Locations: north facing shorelines from Notre Dame Bay to Ferryland.

Maximum water levels: significantly exceeding high astronomical tide.

Maximum wave heights: 9 to 12 metres, breaking upon approach to shore.

Time span: midnight Friday night until Saturday afternoon.

First high tide: after midnight Friday night.
Second high tide: early Saturday afternoon.

Remarks: Higher than normal water levels along the east and northeast coasts due to 60 to 80 cm of storm surge combined with 9 to 12 m waves are expected. Flooding and damage to coastal infrastructure are possible, especially in locations exposed to the north. Highest water levels are expected near high tide Friday night and early Saturday afternoon.

High waves combined with the surge may cause damage along the coast. Coastal erosion is possible in vulnerable areas. People close to the shoreline should stay on the lookout for worsening conditions.

Storm surge warnings are issued when water levels pose a threat to coastal regions.

Storm is as forecast if not worse. Putting down 4" of level snow/hour right now--an all time record as far back as records go here. VERY wet atmosphere is just below freezing and so is carrying the most possible snow physically possible. Looking to go all day and into the night putting down at least 3 full feet. Winds still only gusting into the lo 60 mph range, but forecast to go into the 80s or even lo 90s as it progresses.

@NewfoundlandFreeFrog are you concerned about anything... losing power, roof holding up, digging out later, etc? Do you have a generator or alternative heat source. That all sounds very intense.

2 hours ago, PurpleDawg said:

@NewfoundlandFreeFrog are you concerned about anything... losing power, roof holding up, digging out later, etc? Do you have a generator or alternative heat source. That all sounds very intense.

Winds are now steady in the lo 60s mph. Accumulations looking to be 3 feet in 24 hours with some more inches after that. That would be an all time record.

Yeah, a winter hurricane of this magnitude (looks to go near 955 mbar as it passes by in a few hours) is concerning. Just have basic survival gear not generators, etc.  But plenty to live on and I have a camp stove for cooking. if I need it. Power has been out for 3 hours already, but came back a few minutes ago.

"Digging out later" is going to be a long, long process. And it will be frigid on the back side of the storm tomorrow as it pulls polar air down the northwestern side of the system. Then we get above freezing with rain. 

Pretty nasty weather all around.