Sign in to follow this  
Friskyfrog

TGBDS: Epic Randomness

33 minutes ago, frogtwang said:

Stay hard Caroll Spinney. 

He also did Oscar the Grouch. Very sad.

• Sad 1

Rex Chapman is the best follow on Twitter right now, hands down. Funny stuff, but also some very wholesome stuff, too. Would highly recommend.

11 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

Stay hard, Rip Torn. 😔

THABP

back in July when he passed...

5 hours ago, frogtwang said:

THABP

back in July when he passed...

I wonder why I just saw it posted today, then? Weird. Still sad.

32 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I wonder why I just saw it posted today, then? Weird. Still sad.

Not sure?

When it happened NFFF mentioned that Rip was almost an in-law and you asked him to elaborate. 

7 minutes ago, frogtwang said:

Not sure?

When it happened NFFF mentioned that Rip was almost an in-law and you asked him to elaborate. 

I'm just forgetful...and a LOT has happened to me since July!

2 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

I'm just forgetful...and a LOT has happened to me since July!

what are we talking about? 

• Haha  (+1) 2

Don't feel too terrible. Franco Columbu died in August, and I just found out the other day when I got to thinking about what all Arnold movies he got a credit in. It gave me a shock when the search turned up a past tense on the preview of the Wiki page.

• Upvote (+1) 1

13 hours ago, frogtwang said:

Not sure?

Yes...it's probably good that Jayne went first so she didn't have to suffer the loss of Rip.

Rode his bike on every street in Austin. Took him just over a year. 

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Those look like walrus, they're so big! Maybe they're elephant seals. Poor boat.

9 hours ago, frogtwang said:

Measles reported in Austin. Vaccinate your kids assholes. 

This happens all the time in Vancouver, WA, just across the river from Portland. Lots of anti-vacc weirdos over there. It impacts the entire area, though, because at least 25% of Vancouver residents come over to the Oregon side to work and shop because we have no sales tax and they can work here and go back home to a state with no income tax. I think the highest count of measles cases from there I've heard in the past few years is about 25 and the population in Vancouver is much smaller than Portland. 

55 minutes ago, PurpleDawg said:

This happens all the time in Vancouver, WA, just across the river from Portland. Lots of anti-vacc weirdos over there. It impacts the entire area, though, because at least 25% of Vancouver residents come over to the Oregon side to work and shop because we have no sales tax and they can work here and go back home to a state with no income tax. I think the highest count of measles cases from there I've heard in the past few years is about 25 and the population in Vancouver is much smaller than Portland. 

The one in Austin is the first in Travis County since 99. They tracked patient 0 to several places, including the Airport 🤦🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, frogtwang said:

They tracked patient 0 to several places, including the Airport 🤦🏻‍♂️

Oh, yeah. They never stay at home. They're always going to the busy places.

2 hours ago, Duquesne Frog said:

I've encountered a disconcerting number of anti-vaxxers among the parents at my kid's Catholic School.

And yet, they vaccinate their dogs and cats every single year unnecessarily.

My daughter ran across this highly scientific, peer reviewed study of lost teaspoons from 2005. It is published in the British Medical Journal 2005 Dec 24; 331(7531): 1498–1500.

Abstract:

Objectives To determine the overall rate of loss of workplace teaspoons and whether attrition and displacement are correlated with the relative value of the teaspoons or type of tearoom.

Design Longitudinal cohort study.

Setting Research institute employing about 140 people.

Subjects 70 discreetly numbered teaspoons placed in tearooms around the institute and observed weekly over five months.

Main outcome measures Incidence of teaspoon loss per 100 teaspoon years and teaspoon half life.

Results 56 (80%) of the 70 teaspoons disappeared during the study. The half life of the teaspoons was 81 days. The half life of teaspoons in communal tearooms (42 days) was significantly shorter than for those in rooms associated with particular research groups (77 days). The rate of loss was not influenced by the teaspoons' value. The incidence of teaspoon loss over the period of observation was 360.62 per 100 teaspoon years. At this rate, an estimated 250 teaspoons would need to be purchased annually to maintain a practical institute-wide population of 70 teaspoons.

Conclusions The loss of workplace teaspoons was rapid, showing that their availability, and hence office culture in general, is constantly threatened.

Link to open access version: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1322240/#